NEurope
Ashley

What a Lovely Meal

The best Steak and chips and a couple of pints for me from the best pub in Sydney, we've been there loads of times since we discovered, hell Samantha started her way into the world there, we love the place.

I just found a rather awesome vegan channel on youtube, so to my fellow vegans/vegetarians/food eaters I'd suggest you give her a look. She's funny and makes food that looks and sounds amazing.

Plus she's funny, cute, and creative so... there's that too.

She's got heaps of other videos... and I haven't found one that I don't like yet.

Thanks for sharing, Llama. Looks great...too bad I'm such a lazy-ass cook. My vegan recepies consist mostly of "boil water, add ingredient" :D Occasional soaking, too.

Edited by Ville

Oh my god my stepmum made a cake the other day and I've just had a slice and it's like heaven in my mouth. It's got everything I love - chocolate with more chocolate and chocolate on top. It's lovely.

Oh my god my stepmum made a cake the other day and I've just had a slice and it's like heaven in my mouth. It's got everything I love - chocolate with more chocolate and chocolate on top. It's lovely.

I am so jealous. Chocolate is my one true love!

I have the same food almost every night for dinner, there are 2 things I will either have.

A boiled chicken or Kangaroo meat with spinach and brown rice. Both taste awesome anyway.

Yeah pretty dull :heh:

I actually very very rarely go out and eat a meal, we used to as a family but even that's rare now. We had a few at home when my cousin was over from FL recently though, and that was nice. However, just the friday past myself and my friends actually went for an indian(went for an indian on a friday night, maybe not as good as

), down a little place near where the girl who arranged it lives, apparently she's been going there since she was like 16. Anyhow, in the throngs of eltham we sat and dined, and it was really rather nice and grown up! Something we never do! The staff were very nice, some old geez was serving us and I assume he ran/owned the place, but he was very good and entertaining, cracking occasionally silly jokes in an old indian man style way, and he even offered us some stuff on the house at the end of the meal, which was a nice touch. The only slightly disappointing thing was that when we arrived there did seem to be a rather rowdy group of louts on the table over, though they weren't there long enough to properly ruin our night. Only downside is I'm now £25 poorer than I was before :(

You can eat outside food in my Odeon.

Is...is it euphemism or not euphemism?!?!

Is...is it euphemism or not euphemism?!?!

For you Rummy, its always a euphemism.

I made cookies yesterday. They're a meal if you eat more than 6.

Would it be an euphemism.

I'm not trying to be pedantic here it's just that I heard that sometimes you have to use "an" when it is a vowel sound but not a vowel, so I wondered if there were any other rules I am unaware of regarding "an".

Begins with a consonant sound, /ˈjuː.fəˌmɪ.z(ə)m/. Hence a euphemism.

I take it I'm wrong then Rez?

Oh is it because I put you with a Y which still isn't a vowel, you is a vowel sound so it counts... If that's what you meant. :p

No, it's the same sound as in "yes", /jɛs/, i.e the the consonant sound [j].

In "jew", /dʒuː/, it's [dʒ].

No, it's the same sound as in "yes", /jɛs/, i.e the the consonant sound [j].

In "jew", /dʒuː/, it's [dʒ].

I think you'll find "yes" in British English is /jes/. /ɛ/ isn't a standard English phoneme. It's sometimes used erroneously in place of /e/, as you've done.

I might not be able to find work with my Trinity Cert.TESOL, but I sure as hell can correct people. :grin:

letters4.gif

(Yes, I'm aware it's missing the glottal stop from the top right).

Ummm....

Back to food.

I had a nice meal with Tellyn earlier. Well, side trays kind of thing but they were nice. And some really nice pear cider. Good times.

So it is like you-phemism and has "a" not "an". Thanks for clearing it up.

If a word starts with a phoneme in the top half, it's "an", if it starts with a phoneme in the bottom half, it's "a".

I had the most amazing sausage and red pepper risotto for lunch. It was a left-over from last nights dinner, and tasted even better reheated. I :love: my mummy's cooking.

I think you'll find "yes" in British English is /jes/. /ɛ/ isn't a standard English phoneme. It's sometimes used erroneously in place of /e/, as you've done.

I might not be able to find work with my Trinity Cert.TESOL, but I sure as hell can correct people. :grin:

And I thank you for that :D Interesting...seems both wiktionary and dictionary.com have wrong info then. Also, some dictionaries had [y] instead of [j]...quite inconvenient how many different transcriptions there are...

A handy chart too. Might print it for my phonetics class, was actually practicing this stuff /tə'deɪ/ :D

And I thank you for that :D Interesting...seems both wiktionary and dictionary.com have wrong info then. Also, some dictionaries had [y] instead of [j]...quite inconvenient how many different transcriptions there are...

A handy chart too. Might print it for my phonetics class, was actually practicing this stuff /tə'deɪ/ :D

According to one of my course instructors, this can be summed up in one word: Americans.

Print it - phonetics charts are crazily handy. Of course, in your case, it relies on you having the pronunciation correct in the first place. If you want, I'll do a recording of all the sounds, as I have a particularly fine example of a modern RP ("standard British") accent.

letters4.gif

(Yes, I'm aware it's missing the glottal stop from the top right).

I am so happy you posted that. I never knew what the hell they were on about on wikipedia where it says how words are pronounced. I thought I was missing something obvious about those weird symbols :indeed:

I am so happy you posted that. I never knew what the hell they were on about on wikipedia where it says how words are pronounced. I thought I was missing something obvious about those weird symbols :indeed:

It does confuse me as to why Wikipedia has a full IPA chart, but no language-specific ones.

Had an experimental meal last night.

Left over minced meat, lots of paprika, chili powder, salt and pepper.

Put on bread with some melted cheese.

EDIT: and of course the BBQ that changed everything.

Tasted way better than expected.

Edited by Mundi