NEurope
chairdriver

Higher Education Cuts

We have a similar march to do with raising fees for college happening this Wednesday. I will be there protesting.

I'm attending one for the uni in a few weeks although its more to do with how the uni intend to implement the cuts (i.e. through decreasing contact time with lecturers) rather than the cuts themselves. I think it plays a part but there's a greater sense of doomed inevitability so the energy may as well be focused on cutting wisely.

Random thoughts...

They should tax junk food.

Also, if they're going to have tuition fees they might as well introduce them retroactively. If you've been to university in this country you should have to pay. Why not?

Because then it would affect me! :p

More serously, I agreed my price at that point in time. The deal is done; they have my money, I had their services. Retroactive would be stupid.

When a shop raises it's prices they can't demand addiitional money from all previous customers.

I think the rich need to be taxed more heavily. Our lovely country has allowed them to become rich so there should be a greater burden on them financially. Any salary/earning over a certain amount is just solemn mockery of the rest of the country.

Edited by Mr_Odwin

What if something that you care about is under fire? It's all very well to look disdainfully at politically active people if you have the privilege to have nothing in political discourse that directly threatens you.

Demonstrations like this don't do anything other than cause trouble.

So, own up, who voted Tory?

The cuts are the only way to go. If the country was a business it would have gone bust decades a go. We can't go on spending £160bn more than we earn; it's impossible so because of the mess that previous Governments have got us into (not just Labour) we need to cut back on things to make the country sustainable again. It's no coincidence that almost all the CEO's of the top performing organisations in the UK agree with all the cuts.

The cuts are the only way to go. If the country was a business it would have gone bust decades a go. We can't go on spending £160bn more than we earn; it's impossible so because of the mess that previous Governments have got us into (not just Labour) we need to cut back on things to make the country sustainable again. It's no coincidence that almost all the CEO's of the top performing organisations in the UK agree with all the cuts.

Except it's amazingly short sighted and ultimately very self destructive.

Edit:

They will face redemption penalties if trying to pay off the loans early, but students will be able to pay upfront without paying an extra levy.

Discussions are thought to be continuing about the size of the penalty, a key Liberal Democrat demand.

Sorry. What? How utterly vindictive.

Edited by Daft

Except it's amazingly short sighted and ultimately very self destructive.

Hardly. The country can't continue to exist when we're essentially making a loss of £163bn a year.

Once thing that pissed me off was at Nottingham Uni they put a cap on the number of "native" people can go there. Nottingham Uni is one of the best medical schools (I believe) in the country, so we get alot of Chinese Asians. Because they all want to be doctors. You can get better results but not allowed because you're British... Fucking stupid.

Looks 100% Chinese to me:

http://www.nottingham.edu.cn/en/index.aspx

I know what might help - have Scots pay for their own fucking higher education.

I wish they would, so I'd be able to get a proper loan.

Looks 100% Chinese to me:

http://www.nottingham.edu.cn/en/index.aspx

I'm not surprised in the slightest. The fuckers then go to Sainsbury's, buy the cheapest shit they can (basics) in bunches so they can get £50 cashback on each one (despite there being a cashpoint right next to the entrance) then actually taking the trolleys away with them. Those 3 bags much be well heavy with those cheap 1 ply toilet rolls.

I know what might help - have Scots pay for their own fucking higher education.

I know, we absolutely should.

Thank you, Barnett formula!

Its not really anything to do with the Barnett formula though is it? The Barnett formula has been around longer than the policy that made university tution fees free for scottish students.

But yeah I hated the scottish system last year, but now because of my family is earning less I get a lot more this year.

Its not really anything to do with the Barnett formula though is it? The Barnett formula has been around longer than the policy that made university tution fees free for scottish students.

But yeah I hated the scottish system last year, but now because of my family is earning less I get a lot more this year.

Not really, but the Barnett formula gives us £X money each year, some of which will help pay for Uni no doubt.

Then I protest protests. They are thuggish and annoying.

Well it was bad enough the feeling, and the first time it hit

When you realised your parents had let the world all go to shit

And that the values and ideals for which many had fought and died

Had been killed off in the committees and left to die by the wayside

But it was worse when we turned to the kids on the left

And got let down again by some poor excuse for protest

Yeah by idiot fucking hippies in 50 different factions

Who are locked inside some kind of 60's battle re-enactment

And I hung-up my banner in disgust and I head for the door

...Yeah, I agree.

The Bartimaeus series does better. In them the entire parliament are magicians. Plus it's a bit more serious. Read them people. And see how it links with the now!

I'm just back in college after a big protest today. I have so much work to do but I'm glad I went, 40,000 people turned out and I have videos/pictures that I can't show until I get home.

Down with this sort of thing, careful now!

Less fees more gees, less cuts more sluts.

WOOOOOO!

Mcoy loves the system that has been in place allowing foriegn students to take out massive student loans, leave the country for three years and have the ENTIRE debt written off by the taxpayers. Instead of the system being fixed to stop quite a large abuse by a minority the majority get fucked over. Say farwell to open education to the lower/middle class families.

Mcoy works as civilian in the police and is soon to become a special constable hopefully. Mcoy finds it hard to remain neutral when watching protestors and police officers afterall protestors have the right to a peaceful protest and officers ARE NEEDED to stop the small minority of dumb fucks turning a protest into a riot, the problem is that there will ALWAYS be clashes at a protest and It's upto the professionalism of the officers to take necessary action against those who are provoking the problem, unfortunately this can often result in your box type blockades as It's hard to single out a few hooligans hiding behind a large crowd.

Edited by Brian Mcoy