NEurope
jayseven

How did you find out that santa wasn't real?

Like a few of the others, I don't think I ever properly sort of believed in him. I think maybe my presents were always addressed from mum and dad, or I knew, or...I don't know. Maybe it's because I was the youngest of three and the pretence had already died, sometimes I think it's just hard to get someone to pretend to be santa when you're brown.

I must have been approximately 7 or 8. It was Christmas Eve and I decided to go and secretly check on what my parents were doing, as they were downstairs. I hid on the stairs (we had those stairs that have holes in) and I saw them wrapping up ;

cloudbase%20vivid.jpg

Got some sick toys that year. Got loads of Captain Scarlet stuff including the amazing;

VivdCommandTeam93.jpg

I didn't care that Santa wasn't real, because I was over the moon to have the Cloudbase.

I can't really pinpoint when, but I slowly stopped believing him in. I just didn't want to say anything. I think it was when I reached high school my mum finally said to me "You know Santa doesn't exist, right?".

Although I've always had to pretend to believe in him, due to younger siblings.

I dunno. I seem to remember that when I finally found out, I had sort of figured it out already. I was like: "Yeah, it makes sense now."

I put 2 and 2 together when my brother and I found a stockade of Transformers and wrapping paper in our parents closet.

I was about 11 and there was a kid in our school who obviously found out from his parents. Anyway, he came into our class and he looked really moody. The class was really into the spirit of Christmas and we always used to hand out cards and decorate the class two weeks before we left and we used to play games and he sat there in a corner all moody. When everybody was like "What's up?", that was when he said "My parents told me the truth about Santa not being real!"

The entire class was silent, some kids laughed thinking it was a joke but everybody was silent. Our teacher tried to tell us otherwise but eventually, she had to tell us. I kind of knew but I just liked Christmas so much but I was gutted and that was how part of my childhood died, haha. Of course, my parents told me the next year and I kind of pretended to be a little gutted but they didn't know I knew before they told me so I kept it a secret. I still keep the spirit of Christmas but kids nowadays are more clued-up than we used to be and already know at the age of eight.

Oh, the kid weren't very popular for a good while, lol. It wasn't until a year or so later that people started speaking to him again.

Edited by Animal
remembered my age, lol.

kids nowadays are more clued-up than we used to be.

It's the internet's fault.

It's the internet's fault.

I thought so too. Kids back then didn't exactly have access to the Internet much, we were too busy playing our Playstations/Nintendo 64s and actually playing outside...

I'm pretty sure alot of kids knew by 11 that santa wasn't real, though?

You'd be surprised...I had an inkling anyway so it wasn't that much of a big deal but I knew a few kids who truly believed he was real.

Originally friends told me, but my mother told me they were wrong. Then I discovered just how fast santa would need to be to stop at every house and just stopped believing.

I had a mate who seriously still believed in santa at the age of 13/14 (year 8). We made him cry and stuff.

Shit, I'm totally going to hell.

So I'm the only one who wanted to carry out experiments with different lists of gifts on a control list I gave to my parents and a list I sent up the chimney myself? I can't remember if I actually did this or not though, I remember asking my sister to put the list up the chimney because I was scared of doing it. :heh: But yes, I liked to make lists of pros and cons for santa's existence. One of the pros was always that I'd seen his sparkly sleigh flying through the sky like a shooting star - it's amazing what you can make yourself believe. Anyway, I suppose I gradually gave up on the idea of him existing as the list of cons grew...

One of teh years shortly after The Incident I did something similar - asked my mum for one thing and actually sending santa a letter in the post with different stuff.

Fairly sure I didn't get anything that I asked for at all :P

I can't really remember. I'm guessing it was in my later 'single digit' years, as i used to wonder why everyone else in my family had presents wrapped up by my mother and why i was always told to thank certain family members for certain presents. I don't think i ever got a 'from Santa' on a present label, so eventually i figured it out.

So I'm the only one who wanted to carry out experiments with different lists of gifts on a control list I gave to my parents and a list I sent up the chimney myself? I can't remember if I actually did this or not though, I remember asking my sister to put the list up the chimney because I was scared of doing it. :heh: But yes, I liked to make lists of pros and cons for santa's existence. One of the pros was always that I'd seen his sparkly sleigh flying through the sky like a shooting star - it's amazing what you can make yourself believe. Anyway, I suppose I gradually gave up on the idea of him existing as the list of cons grew...

So you're saying you were always the brainy, geeky type? :heh:

So you're saying you were always the brainy, geeky type? :heh:

Lol, I think it's more just common sense. And jayseven did it too, so I'm not alone! :heh:

sometimes I think it's just hard to get someone to pretend to be santa when you're brown.

I think you're being a big RACIST.

jks <3

I dunno when I didn't believe, in fact I don't know if ever believed. I just don't remember those years ::shrug:

I lied about my Santa experience. It's traumatic, but I'll share it with you guys...

The worst thing that ever happened to me was on Christmas. Oh, God. It was so horrible. It was Christmas Eve. I was 9 years old. Me and Mom were decorating the tree, waiting for Dad to come home from work. A couple hours went by. Dad wasn't home. So Mom called the office. No answer. Christmas Day came and went, and still nothing. So the police began a search. Four or five days went by. Neither one of us could eat or sleep. Everything was falling apart. It was snowing outside. The house was freezing, so I went to try to light up the fire. That's when I noticed the smell. The firemen came and broke through the chimney top. And me and Mom were expecting them to pull out a dead cat or a bird. And instead they pulled out my father. He was dressed in a Santa Claus suit. He'd been climbing down the chimney... his arms loaded with presents. He was gonna surprise us. He slipped and broke his neck. He died instantly. And that's how I found out there was no Santa Claus.

What an elaborate story. My father actually died like that, and you making fun of it has brought back some terrible memories.

Around 8 was when i discovered there was no Santa, you should have seen my face.

santa_grave.jpg

Na, in seriousness now. I found out there was no Santa when i was around 8. The parents wern't being too quiet that year, i tell ya. They tried sneaking down the stairs with the presents, but the floor-boards creaked. And as any child would at Christmas, woke up thinking Santa was in the house. Door was already open, popped my head out only to see my parents going down the stairs with bags of presents.

I lied about my Santa experience. It's traumatic, but I'll share it with you guys...

The worst thing that ever happened to me was on Christmas. Oh, God. It was so horrible. It was Christmas Eve. I was 9 years old. Me and Mom were decorating the tree, waiting for Dad to come home from work. A couple hours went by. Dad wasn't home. So Mom called the office. No answer. Christmas Day came and went, and still nothing. So the police began a search. Four or five days went by. Neither one of us could eat or sleep. Everything was falling apart. It was snowing outside. The house was freezing, so I went to try to light up the fire. That's when I noticed the smell. The firemen came and broke through the chimney top. And me and Mom were expecting them to pull out a dead cat or a bird. And instead they pulled out my father. He was dressed in a Santa Claus suit. He'd been climbing down the chimney... his arms loaded with presents. He was gonna surprise us. He slipped and broke his neck. He died instantly. And that's how I found out there was no Santa Claus.

What an elaborate story. My father actually died like that, and you making fun of it has brought back some terrible memories.

Theres a movie script in here somewhere.

"Seperated at birth. United by the tragedy of their father...they are...."

BrothersClause1.jpg

I don't like the way you seem to have saved that picture. But I loved that you kept the little hat! :p

I never believed in the idea, as I thought the idea seemed a bit daft from the start. A man, travelling the world, giving presents. Whats in it for him? Joy?! I call bullshit.

Now the tooth fairy was different. I remember being told some elaborate story about that, so I stayed awake for the majority of the night seeing if I could spot this fairy of teeth. I didn't. It wasn't until school a few weeks later where kids were talking about the fairy, and how it was all a lie.

Them "The Tooth Fairy IS A LIE"

Them "Its all lies!"

Me: "Yeah, only idiots would believe in...that." Secretly crying inside.