NEurope
Cube

The Hobbit

Well there very well may be something wrong with some people. Diabetes and bladder problems and such.

The only time i can remember having to go to the toilet (like literally not being able to wait) was Return of the King. I tried my hardest, but all those endings....my bladder couldn't handle it.

They do breaks here in Belgium (though apparently not everywhere, it is regional) and I don't mind them at all. The break is 10 minutes long and it gives you plenty of time to go to the toilet (especially useful for kids) and to buy a drink or snack.

I usually don't have to go to the toilet during a film, but sometimes it will happen that you just reallllly have to go and in those cases it is nice to know you won't have to miss anything from the film if a break is coming up. =)

Breaks in the middle of movies sounds awful. Just as things are getting exciting... "The movie will resume in ten minutes." What if you don't need to use the restroom? Then you just have to sit there and wait. :sad:

If you can't hold it for 2-3 hours, that's why they make adult diapers. :p

I was delighted to discover the Goblin Shanty Town (not sure if this is the actual name) Hobbit LEGO set comes with the little cackling basket goblin. That dude was SO HAPPY to be doing what he does.

14275114_121128042405.jpg

On the subject of movie intermissions... intermissions would probably result in people getting back at random times and disturb at least the first 5-10 minutes of the second part. I also get the feeling cinemas would use an intermission to hit us with more advertisements and trailers before the film continued. A lot of cinemas in the UK also don't use assigned seating, so the resulting chaos of everyone trying to get their seat back/saving seats would probably be more trouble than anyone who has already paid £15 to see a movie is willing to put up with.

In honesty I can't remember the last time I went to the toilet during a movie screening. However, I do have some ideas how to cut down on the disruption of someone getting up and fumbling around during a movie to use the bathroom...

One idea is to only have seats with large cup holders toward the outside of the aisles for minimum disturbance. The other is a little more extreme and would involve lowering a thin theatre-wide sheet of perspex over the crowd to prevent anyone standing and leaving during the film. Selling smaller drinks would also possibly help, but there's no way greedy cinemas will ever be willing to take less money for snacks.

On the subject of movie intermissions... intermissions would probably result in people getting back at random times and disturb at least the first 5-10 minutes of the second part. I also get the feeling cinemas would use an intermission to hit us with more advertisements and trailers before the film continued. A lot of cinemas in the UK also don't use assigned seating, so the resulting chaos of everyone trying to get their seat back/saving seats would probably be more trouble than anyone who has already paid £15 to see a movie is willing to put up with.

I've seen probably a dozen or so films in Belgium, and although the idea is weird at first, it is very useful. Firstly, the point you make about people getting back at random times, it's not really an issue from what I've seen. Usually people are eager to get out and back quickly into their seat ready for the movie to begin.

As for advertisements, in this country they would probably do it. From what I've seen, the lights come on and the screen just turns black/is frozen. No adverts. So, that isn't an issue. I think music does play overhead, but that is kept to a minimum, so again, no really an issue.

It really isn't as much of a deal as you'd think. Definitely something that shouldn't be knocked until it is tried out. Extremely useful for little kids who do have smaller bladders, and for very long films, such as Return of the King as Bob pointed out. From my experience of it, it is usually done in the right way and doesn't "kill" any action sequences that are happening in the film. Usually they're decently timed and it's in one of these transition scenes, so a good time to pause.

Also, you may not need to go to the toilet every two to three hours, but you might need to go during the film for some reason. It doesn't mean you have a problem. When you need to go, you need to go.

One idea is to only have seats with large cup holders toward the outside of the aisles for minimum disturbance. The other is a little more extreme and would involve lowering a thin theatre-wide sheet of perspex over the crowd to prevent anyone standing and leaving during the film. Selling smaller drinks would also possibly help, but there's no way greedy cinemas will ever be willing to take less money for snacks.

Third option, free diapers for everyone. Or, just turn the seats into toilet/recliner combos. Problem solved!

And no, we don't have breaks either.

I'd be happy to try intermissions and even happier if my concerns turned out to be wrong.

I'd be happy to try intermissions and even happier if my concerns turned out to be wrong.

It's worth trying, even once. Don't think you'll have much opportunity to give it a go, at least not in the UK.

Strangely enough, when the third Pirates of the Caribbean film came out here, my cinema offered it with an intermission, and without. I think I saw it with an intermission. As far as I know, it hasn't happened with any other films.

Shows in the West End have an intermission of about 10 minutes, and no one complains. If anyone has ever been to watch a Bollywood film, they have them in those too. I'm sure if they did decide to add them in, we would all survive.

I only remember once having an intermission in a film. It was Titanic, it was annoying cause the cinema wasn't equiped properly for it. The popcorn stand was too small to serve everyone inside the 20min break and the toilets too were pointless.

That cinema is long gone now though...thankfully. New cinema much better and intermission should be a thing of the past.

The time flew by for me and barely felt the 3 hours pass and only about 3 people got up during the film to go to the toilet so I doubt it was much of an issue for most people. They either held it or didn't need it.

[/Melodramatic] Joking apart though....surely there is something wrong with you if you can't not go to the toilet for 2 hours?

Breaks in the middle of movies sounds awful. Just as things are getting exciting... "The movie will resume in ten minutes." What if you don't need to use the restroom? Then you just have to sit there and wait. :sad:

If you can't hold it for 2-3 hours, that's why they make adult diapers. :p

I don't usually go, but 1 out of 5 movies I go to I end up using the bathroom in the break. It's just usefull, and it doesn't really break the action up, the pauses are always placed in clever spots and it's just nice to know that IF you need it, it's there. Plus, maybe for 2 hour movies it's not really that much of a necessity, but there are alot of longer films out there.

Also also, it's awesome getting that chance to go buy those popcorn you were too full to eat when you got in.

bold 1 - Never happens. Ever.

bold 2 - Over here it's just some smooth background music like Jazz or something and on the screen there are these little "movie quizzes" about which actor acts in which movie, and even if they did show trailers, so what?

bold 3 - We're a much more fucked up and less civil country than you guys are and I've never encountered a situation where that's been a problem. And I go to the movies 3/4 times every month.

It's worth trying, even once. Don't think you'll have much opportunity to give it a go, at least not in the UK.

Well since so many of you guys vacation over here in Portugal, if you're ever here, it's the perfect excuse to try it. Go watch something and you'll see. It's cheap (3£) and we don't dub movies so it's perfect for you guys.

-----------

It seems to be a complete win-win, in my opinion.

Intermission means you can go to the toilet if you need ("holding it in" is uncomfortable and you guys are forgetting that them gals should change their tampons/pads every 2 hours on heavy flow days to prevent TSS) , go buy snacks mid film, can call anyone who called you during the movie or whatever... Plus the break is harmless, it's usually placed in a spot right between scenes without breaking the action up. And it's 7-10 mins we're talking about here, it's not like you guys never pause a movie at home to go and get a snack or take a leak.

Basically it's harmless break vs potential discomfort, so I say the break just wins every time. Even if I don't usually do anything doesn't mean other won't/don't.

At the end of the day it's completely irrelevant though.

If anyone has ever been to watch a Bollywood film, they have them in those too.

Makes sense, after all that dancing you'd need a 10 minute breather.. :woops:

Bollywood films are also insanely long. I've watched quite a few recently and they just keep twisting and turning (the plots and the actors).

Does this thread need ripping into a separate intermissions discussion topic? I feel there's more to discuss and other insights to gain. For the last few pages Bilbo's adventures seem entirely forgotten.

To me there's just something about watching a film from beginning to end without any breaks or interruptions. That being said, though, I can see how breaks would be very practical - provided the theatre is equipped for it.

Just saw it. Amazing. I absolutely loved every single fucking second. I could have quite easily sat through the second film right there and then. Then probably the third and then the whole extended LotR, too. It was unnnnfff.

My only gripe was the CGI pale Orc.

My only gripe was the CGI pale Orc.

I thought this too. Why couldn't he be played by an actor? He was just a large muscular orc. Could have been done like the Uruk-Hai in LOTR.

Watching Two Towers tonight made me realise how far Gollum has come too. Hobbit Gollum makes LOTR Gollum look a bit crappy.

I wonder if they'll re-cut LotR at all. There's the scene in the first one where Bilbo finds the ring briefly and it's obviously Ian Holm playing a younger Bilbo. Also, Martin Freeman was brilliant in this. He reminded me of why I liked Bilbo so much when I read the book for the first time.

I wouldn't mind them re-editing the whole thing together into an 18 hour epic.

Just got back from seeing this. 2D of course.

I loved it, I really did. The time flew by and it certainly didn't feel like I was sitting there that long at all. Could have easily done it all in one sitting. Favourite bits were the action towards the end and of course the scenes with Gollum. Just Awesome.

Loved it so much that me and the girlfriend are talking of going to see it a second time (third for her!). Really just want to see the next one already...

I was just going to post this. Looks good! Smaug looks a bit weird, but i want to know what BC sounds like!

Looks really cool despite the overuse of ropey CGI in the trailer. Legolas also looks terrifying, could it be his eyeliner?