NEurope
Cube

The Hobbit

Gandalf will be in it but Ian McKellen is still not confirmed sadface :(

If Ian McKellen and Andy Serkis aren't doing this then they should simply cancel the films.

If Ian McKellen and Andy Serkis aren't doing this then they should simply cancel the films.

Agreed on Ian. Serkis' part is so small it wouldn't really matter that much.

Guess who's back... back again...

http://uk.movies.ign.com/articles/114/1143082p1.html

Yep, Elijah Wood will reprise his role as Frodo.

Rumors first surfaced yesterday and now it appears to be official: Elijah Wood will reprise his role as Frodo Baggins in the two-part adaptation of The Hobbit.

TheOneRing.net confirmed the news, and added that Wood's Frodo will appear in the opening sequence of The Hobbit.

Wanna know how?

"As readers of The Hobbit know, the tale of The Downfall of The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit or There and Back Again, are contained in the fictional Red Book of Westmarch. In Peter Jackson's LOTR films, the book is shown on screen and written in by Bilbo and Frodo and handed off to Sam Gamgee," TOR explains. "The fictional book, and either the telling from it or the reading of it, will establish Frodo in the films experiencing Bilbo's story. Viewers are to learn the tale of The Hobbit as a familiar Frodo gets the tale as well."

The Hobbit finally begins filming next month in New Zealand under the direction of Oscar winner Peter Jackson.

UPDATED: Elijah Wood's publicist has acknowledged via a press release that he will indeed be in The Hobbit.

That's a nice way of connecting the films IMO... a pre LOTR's Frodo having Bilbo's story read to him.

I don't like them shoehorning all this Lord of the Rings stuff into The Hobbit. Feels very much like they don't have faith in the story itself. Isn't Aragorn going to show up somewhere too? If they'd stuck to the book they could very easily tell this tale in a single movie, how they'll fill two with what is essentially a brief children's tale is beyond me.

The Lord of the Rings: The Hobbit? We'll see.

Cautious optimism seems appropriate here. I hope to God it's awesome and in a few years I look back on this post and feel like a complete doomsinging pratt.

Edited by Guy

Me too! I just hope that they can maintain the same feeling as the LOTR films while managing to separate it enough that it won't merge with the series. I think touches like Frodo's inclusion are a good thing (and I like Elijah Wood) so that it is clearly in the same universe (a different looking Gollum would not fit at all, for example, and would make me feel slightly put-off as an audience member).

Whatever, I'm sure it'll be great.

Faithfull adaptations are mostly disappointing. Different mediums need different approaches.

Agreed. A faithful adaptation of LotR would've been... long... and mostly boring.

Good news...

http://uk.movies.ign.com/articles/114/1143361p1.html

Andy Serkis is now set to reprise his role as Gollum in the two-part adaptation of The Hobbit.

New Line confirmed Serkis' casting to Variety. Serkis, as you know, played Gollum (and Smeagol) in the Lord of the Rings films. The Hobbit will reunite him with that trilogy's Oscar-winning director, Peter Jackson.

UPDATED: The Hollywood Reporter says Sir Ian McKellen is now signed to reprise the role of Gandalf.

Sir Christopher Lee and Sir Ian Holm are also rumoured to be in talks to reprise their roles in the Hobbit. Win. :D

Sir Christopher Lee and Sir Ian Holm are also rumoured to be in talks to reprise their roles in the Hobbit. Win. :D

From what I've heard, the story starts in the LotR time period with old Bilbo telling the story.

how they'll fill two with what is essentially a brief children's tale is beyond me.
Maybe they'll be two more managable 2hr films?... So combined, they'll be the equivalent of 1 1/2 LOTR films, which sounds about right.

From what I've heard, the story starts in the LotR time period with old Bilbo telling the story.

Yeah, I originally thought that they might have also continued the story by having Bilbo reminiscing whilst on the boat to the Grey Havens with Frodo, Gandalf, Galadriel, Celeborn, Elrond, etc.

Setting it just before LOTR with Bilbo telling the story to Frodo wouldn't detract from the emotional ending of Return of the King though, so I'd prefer that. There will probably be room for cameos from Sam, Merry and Pippin too.

Setting it just before LOTR with Bilbo telling the story to Frodo wouldn't detract from the emotional ending of Return of the King though, so I'd prefer that.
Well surely you'd watch them in Hobbit-LOTR order anyway no?

Martin Freeman? Just can't get rid of the chap...

Looking at the cast list is semi-disappointing. Seeing all the "old" characters featuring in it just for the sake of it feels wrong.

Agreed. A faithful adaptation of LotR would've been... long... and mostly boring.

Apparently he's taking James Cameron's advice. I'm all in favour of this new trend. I assume this movie's shot in 3D (as opposed to 3D-fied in post-processing like many other movies)? And probably using RED cameras.. The Hobbit's going to look gorgeous.

One of the reasons things are shot in 24fps is to give films that cinematic "feel". 48fps might make it look like a home movie or something, lol. Though Jackson seems very visual, I don't think this will be the case.

If they'd stuck to the book they could very easily tell this tale in a single movie, how they'll fill two with what is essentially a brief children's tale is beyond me.

They did it with Deathly Hallows, all they need to do is extend a few scenes where they go to bed/wake up* for a couple of hours and they're golden.

*get fresh, bowl, cereal etc.

One of the reasons things are shot in 24fps is to give films that cinematic "feel". 48fps might make it look like a home movie or something, lol. Though Jackson seems very visual, I don't think this will be the case.

So it's the framerate that gives feature films and home videos such distinct qualities? I've always wondered!