NEurope
Cube

The Hobbit

hobbit.jpg

The film seems to be getting under-way now, and some of the cast has been announced:

Bilbo Baggins: Martin Freeman

Thorin Oakenshield: Richard Armitage

Kili abd Fiki: Aidan Turner and Rob Kazinsky

Dwalin: Graham McTavish

Oin: John Callen

Bombur: Stephen Hunter

Dori: Mark Hadlow

Gloin: Peter Hambleton

Filming starts in Feb, so don't expect to see part 1 for a few more years.

I personally enjoyed The Hobbit much more than Lord of the Rings (in terms of the books), so I hope this translates to screen.

I don't remember any of the book other than there's a dragon near the end. Who speaks (I think). And Gollum is there for a bit.

Great news and so glad they managed to get Martin Freeman in when it perhaps looked like they wouldn't as he was too busy. He would have been dumb to not! Also Sean Slater from Eastenders playing one of the dwarfs?!!!

I hope that they get Ian Mckellen and Andy Serkis back. I'm also slightly surprised that they didn't cast John Rhys Davis as Gloin and Orlando Bloom as Thranduil.

I hope that they get Ian Mckellen and Andy Serkis back. I'm also slightly surprised that they didn't cast John Rhys Davis as Gloin and Orlando Bloom as Thranduil.

I was under the impression McKellen and Serkis were confirmed?

Isn't Rob Kazinsky the guy who was in Eastenders?

I don't know, but the casting is very odd. It wouldn't look out of place in a low-budget ITV drama series. I've just seem Graham McTavish in the latest Harry & Paul for god sake. A small role in a BBC sketch show to a Hollywood movie?

I don't know, but the casting is very odd. It wouldn't look out of place in a low-budget ITV drama series. I've just seem Graham McTavish in the latest Harry & Paul for god sake. A small role in a BBC sketch show to a Hollywood movie?

They all must have impressed. Certainly the guy from Eastenders I thought was quite good when in it (considering its shit) of the few episodes I saw of him.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/47150

HobbitRobKazinsky.jpg

I guess that Graham McTavish must have clinched the deal with his performance in Harry and Paul

well Orlando Bloom, Dominic Monaghan and Billy Boyd hadn't really done anything major prior to Lord of the Rings

well Orlando Bloom, Dominic Monaghan and Billy Boyd hadn't really done anything major prior to Lord of the Rings

I know. These guys have had a bad career beforehand.

Hahahha! I quite enjoyed that. Is this a new series/when on?

It's about 4 episodes in. An episode every Tuesday.

I'm finding the casting a bit bizarre too. Especially Martin Freeman. I can't get behind that at all.

I'm ecstatic that this is actually going ahead, it's been plagued with legal problems for years now. Also good to see Peter Jackson back in the director's seat, where he belongs!

I guess that Graham McTavish must have clinched the deal with his performance in Harry and Paul

That's not Graham McTavish, that's Simon Day. He does a lot of work with Paul Whitehouse, like the Fast Show and Bellamy's People.

McTavish was in the last season of 24 as the Russian Foreign Minister.

Jack Bauer slaughtered him and his entire staff with a sword.

'But I don't wanna be in 3D Mister Frodo!"

http://uk.movies.ign.com/articles/113/1137271p1.html

The Hobbit Set for McKellen and 3D

It appears that Ian McKellen will indeed return to The Shire for the two-part adaptation of The Hobbit. McKellen recently said that he had yet to sign a contract for the two-part film

TheOneRing.net points out this update at McKellen's official site that seemingly confirms his return as Gandalf: "The Hobbit's, two films, start shooting in New Zealand in February 2011. Filming will take over a year. Casting in Los Angeles, New York City and London has started. The script too proceeds. The first draft is crammed with old and new friends, again on a quest in Middle Earth."

In related news, Red has announced that The Hobbit will be shot in 3D using Red Digital Cinema's soon to be released Epic Digital Cameras. The Hobbit will be amongst the first productions in the world to use the Epic and at least thirty cameras will be required by the 3D production. The Epic'S small size and relatively low weight, makes it perfect for 3D - where two cameras have to be mounted on each 3D rig.

"I have always liked the look of Red footage," said Hobbit director Peter Jackson in a statement. "I'm not a scientist or mathematician, but the image Red produces has a much more filmic feel than most of the other digital formats. I find the picture quality appealing and attractive, and with the Epic, Jim [Jannard, owner and founder of Red] and his team have gone even further. It is a fantastic tool, the Epic not only has cutting edge technology, incredible resolution and visual quality, but it is also a very practical tool for film makers. Many competing digital systems require the cameras to be tethered to large cumbersome VTR machines. The Epic gives us back the ability to be totally cable free, even when working in stereo."

Actually I'm not fussed, I'll just see which ever version appeals to me most at the time!

And Set photo from totalfilm.com

buzz-04-630-75.jpg

Edited by Retro_Link

They've taken the Hobbits to Isengard!...

http://uk.movies.ign.com/articles/113/1139252p1.html

Major LOTR Character in Hobbit

Deadline has recently learned that a major Lord of the Rings Trilogy player is joining The Hobbit, for "more than a cameo."

Orlando Bloom is reportedly returning to reprise the role of ass-kicking elf, Legolas. Even though Legolas doesn't actually appear in the Hobbit book (although his Mirkwood tribe certainly does), Bloom still might actually be the first LOTR actor to sign on to the film considering that Ian McKellen, Andy Serkis and Hugo Weaving are still in negotiations.

And don't forget that yesterday we reported that Cate Blanchett would be back, reprising her role as Galadriel, another character Elvin character who was not in the original Tolkien novel.

Good good!

I don't get whats good about putting characters in the films that aren't in the books.

I don't get whats good about putting characters in the films that aren't in the books.

Elves at Helm's Deep, death of Saruman and Wormtongue at Isengard in ROTK Extended Edition, Faramir taking the Hobbits to Osgiliath and resisting the corruption of the Ring, etc. For the most part, all of the major changes made to the book are for the better and make it an overall better movie experience.

With this and LOTR they're telling a story, not delivering the books word for word like a play. They added things to LOTR.

It's good to have a little continuity between the films because it will help them work together, otherwise there are very few characters connecting the two. And with characters like Legolas, it works because there's nothing to say he wasn't there in The Hobbit, he just wasn't mentioned (if that makes sense). And in expanding upon the story it brings him in.

Elves at Helm's Deep, death of Saruman and Wormtongue at Isengard in ROTK Extended Edition, Faramir taking the Hobbits to Osgiliath and resisting the corruption of the Ring, etc. For the most part, all of the major changes made to the book are for the better and make it an overall better movie experience.

I'd argue they ruined Helm's Deep bringing the Elves into the battle, which the subsequently ruined what should have happened at the battle of Minas Tirith.

With this and LOTR they're telling a story, not delivering the books word for word like a play. They added things to LOTR.

It's good to have a little continuity between the films because it will help them work together, otherwise there are very few characters connecting the two. And with characters like Legolas, it works because there's nothing to say he wasn't there in The Hobbit, he just wasn't mentioned (if that makes sense). And in expanding upon the story it brings him in.

They'll have continuinity in Gandalf, Bilbo, Elrond..

I wouldn't be surprised if Gloin makes a reference to his son.

I'm not saying references to characters aren't welcome. But is there any reason to include Legolas other than to get the girlies in the cinema for a bit of Orlando Bloom? Especially so if his appearance is more than a brief cameo.

Legolas' dad is in The Hobbit (the book), so it's not really a stretch that he's in there.

They'll have continuinity in Gandalf, Bilbo, Elrond..
It's different because the films are going the other way round to the books, so for the general audience it's better to put in a few characters they'll recognise.

Bilbo will only be there by name, because it'll be a different actor this time, so that doesn't help continuity (also his characters part was SO small in LOTR). Gandalf yes, but he'll be largely associated with New Bilbo. Elrond... meh (again quite a small part form the trilogy).