NEurope
killer kirby

Fantasy Life (26th Sept)

Well, I've "completed" Fantasy Life in that I've set the credits running. No final boss - no bosses at all, in fact. Most of the chapters consisted of following arrows and sequences like this:

1. So-and-so joined your party. (Two battles later...) So-and-so left your party.

2. Go here.

3. Go there.

4. What's-her-face joined your party. (Lengthy text explanation) What's-her-face left your party.

Such a strange game. :blank:

Think it probably comes into its own when you master the classes and post-game challenges. I won't be buying the DLC though.

Well, I've "completed" Fantasy Life in that I've set the credits running. No final boss - no bosses at all, in fact. Most of the chapters consisted of following arrows and sequences like this:

1. So-and-so joined your party. (Two battles later...) So-and-so left your party.

2. Go here.

3. Go there.

4. What's-her-face joined your party. (Lengthy text explanation) What's-her-face left your party.

Think it probably comes into its own when you master the classes and post-game challenges. I won't be buying the DLC though.

Seems a bit weird. Sounds like the ending is pretty abrupt and flat.

How much time have you invested into the game?

Seems a bit weird. Sounds like the ending is pretty abrupt and flat.

How much time have you invested into the game?

I think it's about 17 hours, but not sure.

The thing is, it is actually quite good in its own way, but not as an RPG. I've switched to Miner now, and am really enjoying it, using all the strength I built up as a Paladin.

The final chapter doesn't even have any fighting. No bosses, no final boss. I don't even know if there's a villain.

:confused:

Fantasy Life has some of the aspects that put certain people off RPGs, I'd say (lengthy story scenes, dialogue, clichés etc), but none of the aspects that makes many of them great. Whereas in a traditional RPG, new towns represent new challenges and the chance to buy better armour, in Fantasy Life, they are largely just backgrounds for story sequences. Clearly quite a lot of effort has gone into designing them, but you don't really digest them.

Definitely one of the strangest games I've played.

Darnit Grazza, you're killing my buzz here! Hopefully I'll like it, should be arriving tomorrow methinks!

Darnit Grazza, you're killing my buzz here! Hopefully I'll like it, should be arriving tomorrow methinks!

I'm getting into it a lot more now. The more jobs you do, the more you see how they complement each other.

For instance, as a Paladin, I accessed all the lands and caves. As a Miner, I can go into them with the strength I built up, which makes it easier to fight off the enemies and get the ore. As a Blacksmith, I can use the ore (and other materials) to forge tools, armour and weapons.

It's incredibly addictive when you delve into it like this.

I'm getting into it a lot more now. The more jobs you do, the more you see how they complement each other.

For instance, as a Paladin, I accessed all the lands and caves. As a Miner, I can go into them with the strength I built up, which makes it easier to fight off the enemies and get the ore. As a Blacksmith, I can use the ore (and other materials) to forge tools, armour and weapons.

Have you taken on any of the more challenging monsters yet, like the Napdragon?

You can collect some great and very valuable bounties from those. icon14.gif

Be sure to also check out...

• The Dark Void inside the Cave of Shadows on Cacto Cove.
  • The Ancient Ruins to the east of Al Maajik (some enemies in there that I think you'll really enjoy ;))
  • And West Levitania

: peace:

Have you taken on any of the more challenging monsters yet, like the Napdragon?

You can collect some great and very valuable bounties from those. icon14.gif

Be sure to also check out...

• The Dark Void inside the Cave of Shadows on Cacto Cove.
  • The Ancient Ruins to the east of Al Maajik (some enemies in there that I think you'll really enjoy ;))
  • And West Levitania

: peace:

Yep, been in all three of those (briefly), and taken on the Napdragon, but my sword just doesn't have enough clout at the moment.

Very interested to see what you mean about that middle one... ;)

You can't mine if your a different vocation life though can you?

You can, but as a miner you will get an extra item when mining as opposed to mine as any other Life. Plus it will be easier to mine because of the bonuses the life gives.

Swung past my parents house(as I still deliver stuff there) and found my package this morning! Out this evening but might crack down in bed with it to start it off when I get in.

You can't mine if your a different vocation life though can you?

Yeah, but personally I do like to be a Miner when I go mining - build up the abilities. One of the things that's surprised me is how you can have several weapons/tools "equipped" at once. For example, you may have a long sword as a Paladin, yet stand next to some ore and you can take your pickaxe out with the touch of a button.

Another thing is that a Miner can use a long sword. Whilst I can't use the Paladin-specific weapons/armour, I'm currently using Gold Sword and Gold Armour, which do the job very well. I can't really feel any drop in fighting ability from when I was a Paladin.

I've been getting into Blacksmithing too, which I'm enjoying more than I expected. My rhythm is poor, but I can cope with the crafting at the moment. I'm at the stage where you can add elements to swords - now it's becoming my type of game!

Just apprenticed all the Lifes. Right, time to move forward with the game. May as well use Mercenary since it's the last one I levelled. Bit annoyed so many of the mini games are the same. Can't believe none use the touch screen...

Truly hooked now...

Paladin - Hero

Miner - Master

Blacksmith - Expert

Some of the ore is really tough to mine, as its "stamina" recovers faster than my own. Beginning to think I should have focused on Strength + Focus rather than Strength + Vitality.

Also been trying to find the enemies @RedShell said I'd like.

The "Liquid Metal Slime" type enemy? Gave me a big grin when it ran away. WTF? Then it gave me loads of EXP.

There are two main things I like:

* Dragon Quest

* Sexy belly dancers

...So I figured it was one or the other! :heh:

Now where's my hammer? Because the forge is calling me.

The "Liquid Metal Slime" type enemy? Gave me a big grin when it ran away. WTF? Then it gave me loads of EXP.

There are two main things I like:

* Dragon Quest

* Sexy belly dancers

...So I figured it was one or the other! :heh:

That's the one. :hehe:

Beaten the Napdragon! I hit level 40, so thought I'd take it on. The battle was fairly comfortable, but no pushover - just right. I'm sure there are harder though!

Oh, and I had an NPC with me too. I love how you can get one to follow you about - actually becomes a lot more fun with some back-up. The A.I. is pretty good, too, as they tend to fall back (depending on type) whilst I can get inbetween and protect them from the monsters.

Yuella. Good magic and healing.

Another thing I like about this game is that it keeps on giving you rewards throughout - good ones too - for hitting certain levels or mastering certain jobs.

The sword Erik gives you is awesome! Not so keen on the armour, visually, but it has great magic defence!

Mastered Blacksmith now, so might look at some of the other jobs.

So how many hours have you guys got/are getting out of this? Putting my 3DS back into action I'm thinking I'll actually get it repaired, which means I might actually succumb and get into Smash 3DS - be interesting to know how much of my life this might take up though.

So how many hours have you guys got/are getting out of this?

34 hours at the moment, and that's Hero, Master, Master. It's the type of game that, if you get into it, you'll probably want to develop all the classes.

22 hours and counting. Got to Master on Paladin and expert on Blacksmith. Reached golden tools now.

The game is so much fun. Definitively can see myself mastering all jobs before I'm finished with the game.

The story sucks though. I think :p I just mash the A button to make it go away so I can open new areas. I don't think I'm missing anything important based on what read in the beginning.

Is it worth adding other folks with the game even if not playing multi? My 3DS are probs wildly out of date on here after the last repair.

Edited by Rummy

No point in adding people unless you are going to play with them, no.

Bought the dlc. Can see myself spending a lot more time with the game, and the dlc will be nice to have then. It's a quite a lot of new content.

For later:

- Brand new content for lvl 50+ (Big island.)

- Two more Ranks for every Life.

- Level cap from 100 to 200.

- Stat cap from 50 to 100.

- New pet (Dragon)

- Lunares coins http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/971712-fantasy-life/70197198

Available from the start:

- New pet (Birds)

- Happiness system. Petting dogs will make them happy, adventuring makes you form closer bonds with your allies. Increased happiness makes their stats increase.

- New customization for character creation, such as new eyes, hair and stuff.

- Loading screen is improved.

- Three more houses in different areas than the others.

I have reached expert with the crafting jobs and master with Paladin.

Edited by Tales

Current progress:

Paladin - Hero

Miner - Hero

Blacksmith - Master

Mercenary - Master

The Mercenary has been fun to play around with, although it has its drawbacks. Whilst powerful, the claymore attacks are sluggish and you feel you've sacrificed a lot of control. The special moves are also surprisingly hard to pull off, with some good timing needed. I don't really miss having a shield, but the Paladin is much faster and tighter, and more suited to me.

There's a fine young mistachioed redhead lumberjill by the name of Rummi on the scene! Clocked maybe an hour/hour and a half so far, absolutely loving it. Characterisation of some folks is cracking, and there was a nice little reference to a very popular franchise in my Life that I enjoyed. Sadly my fucking 3DS charger is giving me major gyp so might not get to play as much as I wanted, though I've got a USB charger at the office so I'll pick that up tomorrow, just gutted I can't keep playing atm :(

2. Go here.

3. Go there.

But doesn't the DLC contain extra ranks/quests for Lifes? You also need it for the friendship gaining, extra levelling, area...and I'm pretty sure it contains what you'd consider a "last boss". Plus there'll be another DLC coming (free update...presumably.)

You sound like you really rushed through it... Though, obviously it is to be played however you want to play it. Personally, I've been taking it slow, exploring every area as I go, talking to everyone, fulfilling quests, levelling most Lifes together as I go. I only have one pet, though can get three, but I want to see which variations are available at Al Majiik first (I have a pink birdy!). Gunning as a Merc at the moment.

But doesn't the DLC contain extra ranks/quests for Lifes? You also need it for the friendship gaining, extra levelling, area...and I'm pretty sure it contains what you'd consider a "last boss". Plus there'll be another DLC coming (free update...presumably.)

Yes, but I never buy DLC anyway. The only expansion packs I've ever bought were for a game I truly loved - RollerCoaster Tycoon - and even after the first two I realised what a cynical money-making exercise this concept is.

When I've done all the Legend challenges in Fantasy Life, I'm sure I'll have had enough.

You sound like you really rushed through it... Though, obviously it is to be played however you want to play it. Personally, I've been taking it slow, exploring every area as I go, talking to everyone, fulfilling quests, levelling most Lifes together as I go.

I did, but I wanted to understand the game ASAP. Now I've seen the credits, what I would say to people is this: It's not that the main game is easy, more that there isn't a main game.

If you want to enjoy Fantasy Life, it's better to understand that it isn't a case of "main game + post-game", like most RPGs. It's that the entire worthwhile portion of the game is balancing the jobs (like you are now). Seems I was about the only one who didn't "get" this.

It's that the entire worthwhile portion of the game is balancing the jobs (like you are now). Seems I was about the only one who didn't "get" this.

I think it's more that this game is designed for people with light OCD. Maybe you're just free of that beastly curse? Be proud!

There is certain points though where you're forced to progress the story to make progress in jobs/quests, which is when I usually push on.