NEurope
killer kirby

Fantasy Life (26th Sept)

I'm getting this on day 1 as well. RPGs can be a bit hit and miss with me but this one looks really good.

I don't really know anything about this game. Is it animal crossing meets dragon quest. What is the online on it?

Who else is getting it on release day?

Yeah, I think so. Hoping it's more like Dragon Quest than Animal Crossing, but I'll still probably give it a go as soon as possible.

I don't really know anything about this game. Is it animal crossing meets dragon quest. What is the online on it?

As I understand it, the life sim sections help the RPG sections (which I'm hoping is the main game). For example, the materials you might gather as a miner help you forge better armour as a blacksmith, which you can wear as a paladin when you're on your quest. That's how it seems at the moment anyway.

This game was hardly on my radar until I began playing Harvest Moon: A New Beginning over the last couple of months. While I know this game is completely different, it has made me more receptive to more open ended games that involve slow progression. Fantasy Life will no doubt prove to be much more entertaining and compelling due to actually have combat and RPG elements.

To answer the question above, as far as I understand, multiplayer involves traveling in groups to defeat various monsters and complete quests, so it basically aids in your own progression as far as I understand. I think there may be certain multiplayer areas as well (not 100% sure on that one though).

I'll probably be grabbing it off the eShop. Had no idea this had online multiplayer.

I hope the main story campaign is good, that would be the main thing to keep my interest I think. Mind you I never thought Animal Crossing was my thing then I played New Leaf and it made my Top 5 games of all time.

In practical terms, this means a player can spend some time gaining ranks as a miner, move on to gain some ranks in blacksmithing and then opt to live the Life of a mercenary. While out adventuring, the character retains enough knowledge as a miner to gather materials to use back in the city to forge their own armour or weapons with their blacksmithing knowledge. Even though the player, currently living as a mercenary, won’t have access to the most efficient or powerful techniques from their other Lives they certainly retain enough of these skills to be useful; Lives can be changed (or changed back) at any time with no penalty whatsoever. All of this adds up to tremendous gameplay benefits when exploring Fantasy Life's life sim aspects.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/09/preview_fantasy_life_is_waiting_to_become_part_of_yours

Getting more hyped for this all the time. The job system doesn't sound too dissimilar to Dragon Quest IX, where you could retain skills (but not spells), yet there was still enough benefit in being a specific class for certain missions. Like DQ IX, I dare say I'll spend loads of time on all of them!

Really think this is going to be the Dragon Quest IX of the 3DS.

I should be getting a copy of this on Monday - looks like it could be pretty fun!

I'll probably be grabbing it off the eShop. Had no idea this had online multiplayer.

It does? In what sense?I'd completely forgot this game, only looked at the thread as I'd posted in it. Need to re-catch-up on whatever it's offering. The idea of online alone with folks here is tempting though...

It does? In what sense?I'd completely forgot this game, only looked at the thread as I'd posted in it. Need to re-catch-up on whatever it's offering. The idea of online alone with folks here is tempting though...

From Nintendo Life's review:

It should also be noted, though its level of attraction will vary, that this isn't an exclusively single-player adventure. Fantasy Life’s multiplayer allows players to get together locally or online in groups of up to three and accomplish the same tasks and challenges as in single-player mode (although it is not possible to advance the main story in multiplayer). With the variety of Lives to live and the range of tasks to perform, any trip to any kingdom with just about anyone is sure to be productive in some way — and you might just get the right help to finally defeat that challenge monster that’s spent far too long in your Life list.

Link mode also allows you to send your online friends messages (both group-wide and private), notifications and applause without actually playing together. The onscreen keyboard is alphabetical and not QWERTY, so expect a learning curve when trying to stylus- or fingernail-tap out a message. Using StreetPass, tagged players’ Fantasy Life avatars can appear as residents in your main town of Castele; speak with them enough to become friends and eventually they may reward you with gifts. These are welcome touches that will add a great deal to the experience for some, or at the very least offer a fun diversion.

http://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/3ds/fantasy_life

I'm still getting this, but am doubtful the RPG elements will be as good as I hope. In all likelihood, this isn't going to be a Dragon Quest substitute after all, but at the same time, I can't not get it.

Reviews for this have been surprisingly good so far. Enough to convince me to buy a copy.

Origin Island DLC looks to be quite dear at £7.19:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=898013

Cheapest physical version is available at VideoGameBox for £26.41 if you use the voucher code FBFAN5:

http://www.videogamebox.co.uk/Fantasy_Life_3DS_p/20130654121.htm

Got links to some of the reviews? I read one on a cusory google yesterday, and it was a bit mixed, end score 5/10.

Got links to some of the reviews? I read one on a cusory google yesterday, and it was a bit mixed, end score 5/10.

HERE'S the Gaf review thread.

Good review I'm in now :)

Where's everyone pre ordering ? Free magnets for £34.99 from Nintendo uk

Or is there a much better deal about ? Thanks

Good review I'm in now :)

Where's everyone pre ordering ? Free magnets for £34.99 from Nintendo uk

Or is there a much better deal about ? Thanks

Base are doing the game for 27.99 (awesome price)

http://www.base.com/buy/product/fantasy-life-nintendo-3ds/dgc-fantasy3ds.htm

GAME are doing it at the same price, so I'll be getting it as a download code for 27.99

http://www.game.co.uk/en/fantasy-life-301301?attributeName1=Shop%20By&pageSize=20&provenance=New&catGroupId=&categoryIdentifier=29510&attributeValue1=63

Shopto processed mine today. They did this with Theatrhythm last week and that arrived on Wednesday, despite me not receiving a dispatch email till Wednesday afternoon. Here's hoping I get it tomorrow!

Shopto processed mine today. They did this with Theatrhythm last week and that arrived on Wednesday, despite me not receiving a dispatch email till Wednesday afternoon. Here's hoping I get it tomorrow!
Great!

I'm looking forward to seeing you and other N-E peeps on Link Mode. :yay:

Have you thought about which life type you're going to start as? Not that it really matters. :)

I started as an angler, and have spent most of my time playing the game as that life. It's currently the only life that I've reached the max rank with too. :hehe:

Great!

I'm looking forward to seeing you and other N-E peeps on Link Mode. :yay:

Have you thought about which life type you're going to start as? Not that it really matters. :)

I started as an angler, and have spent most of my time playing the game as that life. It's currently the only life that I've reached the max rank with too. :hehe:

I'm not sure what the full list of classes are. I'll probably pick one of the more quirky ones and then go from there. :D