NEurope
nightwolf

good stuff thread.

After all these years I'm finally gonna start learning to drive and get a car. Started off that I was a nervous passenger after a small crash and that shook my confidence enough that I didn't learn as a teenager but I think it just shifted into being too lazy to even try. I don't expect to start learning until next year at the moment but it at least gives me a chance to start putting some money away. I've decided I may as well go electric straight away.

• Like 3

So I got interviewed on BBC radio recently and took part in one of the games the presenter plays (guess the person’s job).  If you have a spare 6 minutes and fancy a chuckle at how I suddenly had to explain that I touch people, without saying anything incriminating on breakfast radio then have a listen on this link (my club’s Facebook page where they cut just the relevant part of the show).

Good stuff? I remembered my credentials for this site after a long long time away from it. Oh, no my dad got discharged from hospital today “cancer free” after a rough rough time (Covid + Cancer can both suck a bag of cocks)

• Like 6

lol, you could just reached out to Ashley or Me(who would've just reached out to Ashley or Cube) and seen if you coulda get a reset :p

I presumed you were just one of the some who slowly drifted/moved away from the place - and iirc you had started writing on your site elsewhere and I presumed that just took your gaming focus alongside life and the family!

Big up to your dad tings tho - I was actually thinking about MadDog recently and maybe getting another(and i wont lie maybe last) proper meetup sorted - but like in advance of NOW for next year cos we're all supposedly proper adults now(not me ive been outta work since before covid and had an annoying run of health so im a bum now lol).

3 hours ago, Rummy said:

(not me ive been outta work since before covid and had an annoying run of health so im a bum now lol).

jane-the-virgin-petra-solano.gif

• Haha 1

On 12/11/2021 at 9:36 AM, Rummy said:

lol, you could just reached out to Ashley or Me(who would've just reached out to Ashley or Cube) and seen if you coulda get a reset :p

I presumed you were just one of the some who slowly drifted/moved away from the place - and iirc you had started writing on your site elsewhere and I presumed that just took your gaming focus alongside life and the family!

Big up to your dad tings tho - I was actually thinking about MadDog recently and maybe getting another(and i wont lie maybe last) proper meetup sorted - but like in advance of NOW for next year cos we're all supposedly proper adults now(not me ive been outta work since before covid and had an annoying run of health so im a bum now lol).

Writing for a site elsewhere went well for a while, but bills resulted in knuckling down hard career wise. So Analytics and Statistics is my bag now. I still dip my toes into GSRR but, kid and career sadly (weird way to look at it) came first. 

9 hours ago, Murr said:

Writing for a site elsewhere went well for a while, but bills resulted in knuckling down hard career wise. So Analytics and Statistics is my bag now. I still dip my toes into GSRR but, kid and career sadly (weird way to look at it) came first. 

Yeah I kinda expected as much on that.

You analytics and statistics definitely tickles my dick tho(and you'll have just been invited into my top sekrit sekrit binary society elsewhere) - what sorta shit do you do??

1 hour ago, Rummy said:

Yeah I kinda expected as much on that.

You analytics and statistics definitely tickles my dick tho(and you'll have just been invited into my top sekrit sekrit binary society elsewhere) - what sorta shit do you do??

I’m working as an analytics manager for Defence Equipment & Support. It’s a branch for the MoD. My team builds reports for the finance area of DE&S. We are given data from different areas (Navy, Airforce etc) which again in itself has different content (operating expenditures, program cost reviews etc) and we build the ETL process to house the data in our trusted data warehouse, then we model the data following kimball methodology and finally build reports / create KPIs we think might be relevant to the areas. They’ll have requirements they want to see, but we also have freedom to explore the data and try to output what we think might be valuable information to them.

It’s really fascinating data we’re provided, but given the content, can’t really tell you more than that haha.

• Like 2

ah shit nothing worse for a maths boner than the MoD and I mean that really fucking literally too.

This is only a foretaste of what is to come and only the shadow of what is going to be

RIP. A living god - chastised by powerful white men who cared where his dick had been. I will NEVER forgive it. We would be great beyond measure as a global society if it were not for that fucking human ignorance. He was a King.

So my good news is that I passed my Gym Instructor test. I am now officially qualified to teach fitness classes, instruct people on how to do exercises and help out in a gym. I am absolutely chuffed! I'm halfway there and living on a prayer! haha!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Beast said:

So my good news is that I passed my Gym Instructor test. I am now officially qualified to teach fitness classes, instruct people on how to do exercises and help out in a gym. I am absolutely chuffed! I'm halfway there and living on a prayer! haha!

Congrats! As well as being a sports coach myself, I have friends doing similar courses and they all say how much more involved it is then they realised, so nice one! 👏🏻

• Like 1

On 22/11/2021 at 10:15 PM, WackerJr said:

Congrats! As well as being a sports coach myself, I have friends doing similar courses and they all say how much more involved it is then they realised, so nice one! 👏🏻

Thank you! It's been quite tough, honestly. I did so much preparation for it and it went very smoothly. The comments I got back were great- I was told that I was very informative and knew my stuff but I could've been louder, but that was down to nerves. I'm just going to enjoy Christmas for now and hit the books hard in January ready for my Level 3. To be fair though, I've done the essays, assignments, quizzes and theory and I just need to do the practical. I'm great when I'm not being watched but because I know it's on the line and there's a difference between passing and actually having a career or failing and having it go on for longer, it sticks with me. 

I know I got this though!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

PSX-20211202-154853.jpg

Would have been pretty embarrassing if I'd failed, as I've been driving a car for 15 years and a lot of the questions applied to both cars and bikes.

• Like 1

i finally have an appt to see rhematology IN PERSON after only 3 years and 9 months. :eek:

Edited by Raining_again
  • Like 1

On 02/12/2021 at 6:39 PM, Goafer said:

PSX-20211202-154853.jpg

Would have been pretty embarrassing if I'd failed, as I've been driving a car for 15 years and a lot of the questions applied to both cars and bikes.

Ooooooh I did full motorbike license a while ago. Have sold the bike since because I think tbh I only did it as escapism after a bad breakup, lol. I still miss it from time to time though!

In fact the post from the day I passed is probably in this thread.

Have you taken mod 1 or mod 2 yet?

On 02/12/2021 at 8:41 AM, Charlie said:

Hey team, how’s it going? First post in here in god knows how long.  

Long time no see!

3 hours ago, Shorty said:

Have you taken mod 1 or mod 2 yet?

Not yet. I've literally only ridden a bike for about 10 minutes before! I plan to do the direct access, including tests, over 6 days or so, depending on what the training centres offer/recommend.

The waiting list for theory test was about 2-3 months, so I figured I'd get that done and then do the practical side of things some time before summer. The theory pass is valid for 2 years, so there's no hurry.

That's my booster done then. Thankfully managed to get an appointment and there didn't seem to be walk ins at this site today which sped things up.

5 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

That's my booster done then. Thankfully managed to get an appointment and there didn't seem to be walk ins at this site today which sped things up.

I was surprised to be able to get an appointment for next week considering the news was saying there were queues outside all the centres and the website crashed due to heavy use. Obviously I have an older population living near me...

1 hour ago, bob said:

I was surprised to be able to get an appointment for next week considering the news was saying there were queues outside all the centres and the website crashed due to heavy use. Obviously I have an older population living near me...

I managed to book on the website yesterday before they announced that it was now open to over 30s so I think I got lucky.

On 13/12/2021 at 5:39 PM, Goafer said:

Not yet. I've literally only ridden a bike for about 10 minutes before! I plan to do the direct access, including tests, over 6 days or so, depending on what the training centres offer/recommend.

The waiting list for theory test was about 2-3 months, so I figured I'd get that done and then do the practical side of things some time before summer. The theory pass is valid for 2 years, so there's no hurry.

Ah wow, I took a very different approach. Tbh when I took the CBT, I wasn't very good at it. The bike controls didn't click with me very quickly and I struggled a lot with slow movements. I'm not the type that would want an intense course, I need to take my time. So I bought a 125cc bike, and practiced on my own for a long time with learner plates until I felt really comfortable on it. That was a lot of countryside rides and figure-eights around empty Tescos carparks :D

Once I had that down, I took just a couple of lessons and the two tests on the big bike. That jump from a 125cc to the 500cc Hondas the school used was marvellous.

23 hours ago, Shorty said:

Ah wow, I took a very different approach. Tbh when I took the CBT, I wasn't very good at it. The bike controls didn't click with me very quickly and I struggled a lot with slow movements. I'm not the type that would want an intense course, I need to take my time. So I bought a 125cc bike, and practiced on my own for a long time with learner plates until I felt really comfortable on it. That was a lot of countryside rides and figure-eights around empty Tescos carparks :D

Once I had that down, I took just a couple of lessons and the two tests on the big bike. That jump from a 125cc to the 500cc Hondas the school used was marvellous.

It's mad, right? I can take 6 days worth of training and, assuming I pass the tests, just hop on any bike I want. I'm not going to get anything silly, but the fact that I could is a bit weird.

I plan to see what the 125cc and 600cc test bikes are like and then make a decision from there. I've got 3 potentials, based on how confident I feel:

Kawasaki Ninja 250: safe, cheap, but I'd worry about overworking it on motorways. Also the faring makes it a bit harder to work on.

KTM 390 Duke: pretty good middle ground, but the earlier ones aren't built too well apparently, so I'd want a 2019 or later, meaning a bit more money. Seems too new and shiny for a first bike too.

Kawasaki ER6n: 650cc, but apparently very learner friendly due to it being very forgiving and light. This is the favourite so far, but it depends how I feel on the bigger test bike.

Edited by Goafer

I was so into the Ninjas too. Someone nearby has a classic 90s ZX6R with the white, purple and green -- love it, in fact liked them since I was a kid. If I was going to get a new bike, part of me would want to get a 250 ninja that I could rag around. That Ninja green always called out to me! But in the end I was swayed by another...

One of the other reasons I ended up selling my bike, apart from not feeling the need to ride it anymore, was that I was worried about it. I was worried that I'd drop my dream bike and damage it in some irreparable way. Bit like Kevin Mccallister and his rollerblades. But man I miss that thing sometimes. I had a Triumph Street Triple and it lives on... in the form of a Facebook cover photo--

13321832_10157131529215725_2239685555596

First day on paternity leave today with my second child. My wife is not happy about having to go back to work but I think I needed some time off by now. I have 18 weeks so won't go back to work until beginning of May. It's going to be interesting to see my mental state at that time. :D