NEurope
nightwolf

good stuff thread.

I just logged on here for the first time in maybe 2-3 years, and its been so long I got a little bit emotional. :')

I just logged on here for the first time in maybe 2-3 years, and its been so long I got a little bit emotional. :')

You've been missed, how's life been treating you for the last few?

Beenuh, obviously.

It occurs to me that, said out loud, this sounds like a racist slur.... Just something to consider before you run with it!

It occurs to me that, said out loud, this sounds like a racist slur.... Just something to consider before you run with it!

I genuinely have no idea what racist slur this is supposed sound like.

I guess I'm not as good at racism as I thought.

Clearly you need more practice, or in this case, to be American, then you'd probably know it.

Flooring got fitted at the house today. Finally, it's starting to look like a proper house.

12105832_10156199740215341_8055592600535385122_n.jpg?oh=f79782343d7ad961643722723e9c8663&oe=568727D1

Also assembled the dining table and chairs and the bed (just needs a mattress):

12144842_10156199735855341_8186326617343789398_n.jpg?oh=0b6ffd80e0652efea0ca80d5a96e91ef&oe=56CCB66E

12119026_10156198669220341_3003883956226962747_n.jpg?oh=7d554f4a8c5070488ade6a8437afa479&oe=56D0F1E1

Needs a bitchin' rug though. That room is going to be freezing in the winter!

Had never heard of that slur... but don't worry, I don't want to use anything related to my name anyway. Too confusing for people. :)

@Goafer, that wooden floor looks great, I love wood flooring! If we ever get a house, I will make sure there is lovely wood flooring in it! We have some in our current flat but it is low quality wood, boooh.

Needs a bitchin' rug though. That room is going to be freezing in the winter!

Yeah, that's next on our list once the furniture is in. It's already pretty cold.

It's weird, the whole house feels completely transformed now that it's all carpeted/floored. Before, the walls etc all looked good, but it still felt like the shitty dump it was when we bought it. Now the floor/carpet is in, all traces of its former life have gone, leaving us with a really nice house (if I do say so myself).

Looking at photos of/remembering how it was before, I'm starting to feel a real sense of achievement. In just under 2 months, we've completely renovated the place (bar the kitchen and bathroom, which require more money saving).

Yeah, that's next on our list once the furniture is in. It's already pretty cold.

It's weird, the whole house feels completely transformed now that it's all carpeted/floored. Before, the walls etc all looked good, but it still felt like the shitty dump it was when we bought it. Now the floor/carpet is in, all traces of its former life have gone, leaving us with a really nice house (if I do say so myself).

Looking at photos of/remembering how it was before, I'm starting to feel a real sense of achievement. In just under 2 months, we've completely renovated the place (bar the kitchen and bathroom, which require more money saving).

If ye dunnae mind me asking. How much did it cost you in the end? Because Kelly and I are looking at houses (going to visit 2 on Monday), and although this one did peak our interest we're starting to wane on it due to the amount of work that would need to go into it/monies/patience:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-55220330.html

That's pretty cool. I don't think i'd know where to start if I was in your position -- and I think I'd probably have left things for ages.

Similar to what eevil asked -- did you budget for this initially? I'm a long way off of reaching my savings goal for a deposit but I don't really know how much to save for furnishing/decorating -- and I know that if I don't have the money to do it at the start then I'll just leave it forever.

@EEVILMURRAY ; my sister and her husband bought a half-refurbed house extra cheap because the homeowners were essentially amateurs. The previous owners spent close to 5 years and at the end of it the house was miles off completion. My brother-in-law managed to get £20,000 knocked off the asking price as well.

Two months later the previous owners came to pick up some post and they found that my brother-in-law had tiled the kitchen, gotten wooden flooring for the lounge, the upstairs was fully carpeted and all rooms painted... holes in the wall were plastered over and both gardens completely weeded and re-decked etc... but my brother-in-law is a tradesman and knows joiners, electricians, tilers.. the lot. Of course it costed him money but a) mates rates and b) he did a lot of it himself and c) a hell of a lot quicker!

I'd factor that in when looking for somewhere. Do you know anyone with skills?

@EEVILMURRAY ; my sister and her husband bought a half-refurbed house extra cheap because the homeowners were essentially amateurs. The previous owners spent close to 5 years and at the end of it the house was miles off completion. My brother-in-law managed to get £20,000 knocked off the asking price as well.

Two months later the previous owners came to pick up some post and they found that my brother-in-law had tiled the kitchen, gotten wooden flooring for the lounge, the upstairs was fully carpeted and all rooms painted... holes in the wall were plastered over and both gardens completely weeded and re-decked etc... but my brother-in-law is a tradesman and knows joiners, electricians, tilers.. the lot. Of course it costed him money but a) mates rates and b) he did a lot of it himself and c) a hell of a lot quicker!

I'd factor that in when looking for somewhere. Do you know anyone with skills?

My brother is a labourer [albeit a slightly unreliable one when it comes to family] and his friends who went into apprenticeships straight from school, but since my step dad was a builder we have a fair few contacts. Plus Mummy's new partner is in the building game as well.

If we get a viewing at that house I linked (it's not one of the two on Monday) I'd hope to bring my brother/other peep with us so they can have a quick visual estimate of the place.

If ye dunnae mind me asking. How much did it cost you in the end? Because Kelly and I are looking at houses (going to visit 2 on Monday), and although this one did peak our interest we're starting to wane on it due to the amount of work that would need to go into it/monies/patience:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-55220330.html

Ours only needed cosmetic improvements so it was reasonably cheap, it just took a lot of time. A brief rundown of costs for the whole house (not including kitchen and bathroom, which we're doing at a later date):

Paint (including ceilings): £200-£300

Carpet/wood floor: £1500 (got a discount due to knowing someone, probably would have been £2000)

Fireplace: £200 (removed the old hearth ourself)

New water heater: £1100

All prices include installation etc

That's about all we've done really. The biggest job was the paint. It seemed to take forever. We also stripped all of the old carpets and underlay out ourselves.

giphy.gif

Managed to get a ticket for the midnight showing of Star Wars: The Force Awakens at the BFI IMAX. Very lucky as it seems to be constantly crashing for the rest of the internet. I can't wait. Can we skip the next two months please?

You've been missed, how's life been treating you for the last few?

I'm good thanks! Still trundling along through academia up in (surprisingly sunny) Lancaster!

How's things on the Good Ship N-Europe?

Ours only needed cosmetic improvements so it was reasonably cheap, it just took a lot of time. A brief rundown of costs for the whole house (not including kitchen and bathroom, which we're doing at a later date):

Paint (including ceilings): £200-£300

Carpet/wood floor: £1500 (got a discount due to knowing someone, probably would have been £2000)

Fireplace: £200 (removed the old hearth ourself)

New water heater: £1100

All prices include installation etc

That's about all we've done really. The biggest job was the paint. It seemed to take forever. We also stripped all of the old carpets and underlay out ourselves.

We visited a couple of houses today. The first one seemed perfect. It seemed nothing major needed to be done, apart from Kelly wanting a bath put in. Comes with a (strutted I think?) attic with one of those lovely hatch ladder things. Rooms a nice size, some of the built in cupboards would have to be remixed out of the house. Gonna take my brother for a visit next week for a builders perspective. I wanna try and get it with some of the fittings already in, the tables and chairs I quite liked. A table in the conservatory extended, which would make for an awesome gaming table. Kelly talks about "starting with a blank canvas", which she was able to say with a straight face considering she's gotten hold of her aunt's old sofa now that she bought a new one.

The second house, which was the one we had practically fallen in love with after seeing da piccies was a pr0 disappointment. It seemed a lot of work needed doing to it, Mummy says the roof would probably cost up to £4k to get sorted (tiles missing all over da place), sockets not working properly (one was so embedded in the wall that when you tried to press the switch it would flick back off), the oven door wouldn't open properly because it his the doorframe, meaning you had to pull it at an angle. No back door (only one is patio door) The most disappointing thing about it was the size. The pics and the layout made it seem like my house, which is half true, except much smaller. A mighty shame. It was £10k cheaper than the one above, but even if the house wasn't like if my house had been put in someone's hand and squeezed, the maintenance on it alone would go above the cost of the first.