NEurope
nightwolf

good stuff thread.

My good news is kinda lame. I have been allowed to write the letter that we're sending to a bank that is effectively accusing them of libel and failing to uphold an FCA conduct of business principle. I get to CC in the ISO, FOS and the FSA. Yay, acronyms! If it's 'successful' either the bank will recompense several thousand moolahs, or they will be fined some sort of amount of dosh. Hopefully.

In actuality, I have no idea what will happen. Probably nothing. But it is fun!

FCA ISO FSA FOS DSAR FSCS FLA DISP COBS LL HR SB DB UTL MDR LOA MPPI MPC! Wow work is so cool.

Congrats Dazz :) So does this mean you'll have one full-time job instead of two part-time?

Congratulations @Animal, I hope it makes you happy!

I confirmed with my Principal that they don't need me to work from next Monday (three days before the Lunar Holiday) so I get two weeks off! YAAAAY!

Thank you lot.

Today, I went for my second interview to see if the job is mine for sure. Good news, the other guy really liked me and told my new manager to definitely hire me! Chuffed! However, the problem lied that I had to work the week's notice in the shoe shop. Apparently, I told my new boss that I said I could definitely do it but alls I said was I'd have a word but I can't see a problem.

I told the shoe shop but they were all "You definitely must work the week's notice". We tried swapping everything around but there was no solution. I phoned my new job back and asked them for my rota. They gave it me so I phoned the shoe shop back and jiggled a few things around. Everything's sorted and I'm now technically working my notice and starting my new job next week at the same time. I actually won't have a day off to myself in the next ten days, I think it is.

Still, I have a 30 hour job now which is near enough full-time. TOTALLY WORTH IT! Also, I've had a couple of people talk to me about the company and they told me it's good to work for them. Winning!

Edited by Animal

Do you have a contract at the shoe place that says how many hours of holiday you can have? Do you know how many you have spare?

... In any instance it's a week away from a better job (by the sounds of it) -- just don't sell anyone PPI in the new job, ok!

(brighthouse do the hire-purchase of household goods, and they're one of the gammy bastards that essentially refuse to admit they ever missold anything pre-2005, insurance-wise).

Yay bringing work home for the weekend!

Do you have a contract at the shoe place that says how many hours of holiday you can have? Do you know how many you have spare?

... In any instance it's a week away from a better job (by the sounds of it) -- just don't sell anyone PPI in the new job, ok!

(brighthouse do the hire-purchase of household goods, and they're one of the gammy bastards that essentially refuse to admit they ever missold anything pre-2005, insurance-wise).

Yay bringing work home for the weekend!

I have a 12 hour contract and the amount of holiday I have is 16 days, I think. I've never took a holiday.

I think all I'm doing is selling televisions and shit and carrying stuff around. Honestly wouldn't know the first thing about PPIs and stuff. All I know is that what's included in the item's price (whether it's a payment all in one or a weekly payment) is installation, repairs, fire damages and theft as well as the item itself.

I guess, by the sounds of it, I should know about PPIs, right?

If you have holiday due to you then you may be within your rights to take the time off rather than work the last week, and still be paid. Oh wait -- retail. FUCK RETAIL. Never get full statutory holiday in those kind of jobs.

And PPI is "payment protection insurance" -- when you sell someone a sofa for £1k and set it up so they pay £50 a week for 3000000 weeks you could offer them an insurance -- pay an extra £x a month, and if you are out of work then your balance will be paid for you for a whole year!!!!!!"

... unless you knew you are already unemployed, working less than full-time hours, have a sick-pay scheme at work, knew you would lose your job in the next 90 days, have enough savings to cover the balance, forgot to tell us about an illness or disability, are a student, retired already, have lived in teh uk for less than 18 months, quit your job instead of being fired, or get a decent redundency package... Then you're just paying £x a month for nothing.

But your company's supposed sales techniques made it mandatory to explain all this, alongside the actual cost of teh insurance plus interest and how it stretched out the cost of repaying the actual sofa. Yeah, you'll do all that in a sale, right?

... Sorry. Hard week at work.

You think I rambled then? I literally just delted like seven huge paragraphs of further boring shit. I NEED TO LET GO IT IS WEEKEND NOW.

My good news is kinda lame. I have been allowed to write the letter that we're sending to a bank that is effectively accusing them of libel and failing to uphold an FCA conduct of business principle. I get to CC in the ISO, FOS and the FSA. Yay, acronyms! If it's 'successful' either the bank will recompense several thousand moolahs, or they will be fined some sort of amount of dosh. Hopefully.

In actuality, I have no idea what will happen. Probably nothing. But it is fun!

FCA ISO FSA FOS DSAR FSCS FLA DISP COBS LL HR SB DB UTL MDR LOA MPPI MPC! Wow work is so cool.

Finance-five.

So we are about to get our new finance director and he has said that he would like to come round to customer services and listen to some calls/ask some questions, and they have chosen me to be the one that he listens to.

Kinda terrifying. But fine, obviously because I'm so excellent at customer services.

I ended up ringing Halifax today and realised that I've had £500 sitting in an account thinking it was the overdraft.

The woman laughed because she could obviously see it on her system what I'd thought it was, when it actual fact my £500 overdraft doesn't show until you start using it.

I've had that like that for probably a couple of years, just sitting there, doing nothing. Whoops!

But it comes at a brilliant time, when I don't get paid til next week and it'll have been 6 weeks since payday - phew!

If you have holiday due to you then you may be within your rights to take the time off rather than work the last week, and still be paid. Oh wait -- retail. FUCK RETAIL. Never get full statutory holiday in those kind of jobs.

And PPI is "payment protection insurance" -- when you sell someone a sofa for £1k and set it up so they pay £50 a week for 3000000 weeks you could offer them an insurance -- pay an extra £x a month, and if you are out of work then your balance will be paid for you for a whole year!!!!!!"

... unless you knew you are already unemployed, working less than full-time hours, have a sick-pay scheme at work, knew you would lose your job in the next 90 days, have enough savings to cover the balance, forgot to tell us about an illness or disability, are a student, retired already, have lived in teh uk for less than 18 months, quit your job instead of being fired, or get a decent redundency package... Then you're just paying £x a month for nothing.

But your company's supposed sales techniques made it mandatory to explain all this, alongside the actual cost of teh insurance plus interest and how it stretched out the cost of repaying the actual sofa. Yeah, you'll do all that in a sale, right?

... Sorry. Hard week at work.

You think I rambled then? I literally just delted like seven huge paragraphs of further boring shit. I NEED TO LET GO IT IS WEEKEND NOW.

I found out that we don't do PPI and all the insurances such as fire, theft, repairs and installations and shit is all included in that price. You just pay so much a week and you can return it at any time. If you finish the payment, it's yours forever to do with what you will but yeah, you have all of those weeks to return it should anything go wrong. I also found out that, when signing a customer up, I have to go through everything in the contract. Basically, I have to read it to them and they have to read it as well so all bases are covered. I'm quite happy about that because when you said that to me, I had a heart attack thinking I'd have to and I can't exactly afford to turn down this job, haha.

All is well! :D

@ReZourceman for a moment I thought that maybe I've spoken to you, or a colleague, but it's probably more likely that HBOS has a separate PPI complaints department? HBOS are generally very straightforward with us, they do get a bit pedantic about LOAs though. Have you ever spoken to a CMC?

I found out that we don't do PPI and all the insurances such as fire, theft, repairs and installations and shit is all included in that price. You just pay so much a week and you can return it at any time. If you finish the payment, it's yours forever to do with what you will but yeah, you have all of those weeks to return it should anything go wrong. I also found out that, when signing a customer up, I have to go through everything in the contract. Basically, I have to read it to them and they have to read it as well so all bases are covered. I'm quite happy about that because when you said that to me, I had a heart attack thinking I'd have to and I can't exactly afford to turn down this job, haha.

All is well! :D

Most places stopped selling PPI in 2009 when shit kicked off. Especially if the insurance was included in the product -- the ppi was supposed to be optional.

Those other insurances are fine - if you're hire-purchasing a good then the store probably technically owns the item, so the insurance is as much for them as it is for the consumer. You have to also make sure that you don't run ramble through the contract - it isn't enough to say "the contract was read through," because the consumer has to be fully informed... but then that may be for non-insurance/complaints related reasons!

Ramble over.

I work at The Share Centre now! FT online stockbroker of the year (no biggie). But yeah my experience of HBOS was generally speaking chaos.

You mentioned LOAs which isn't remotely surprising...you would think there would be clear indication on a file if someone has authority, but nope you had to find and verify the letter (docs linked to customer at least) on each individual call. Terrible company.

@ReZourceman for a moment I thought that maybe I've spoken to you, or a colleague, but it's probably more likely that HBOS has a separate PPI complaints department? HBOS are generally very straightforward with us, they do get a bit pedantic about LOAs though. Have you ever spoken to a CMC?

Most places stopped selling PPI in 2009 when shit kicked off. Especially if the insurance was included in the product -- the ppi was supposed to be optional.

Those other insurances are fine - if you're hire-purchasing a good then the store probably technically owns the item, so the insurance is as much for them as it is for the consumer. You have to also make sure that you don't run ramble through the contract - it isn't enough to say "the contract was read through," because the consumer has to be fully informed... but then that may be for non-insurance/complaints related reasons!

Ramble over.

I know yeah, we're told we have to actually sit down with the customer and go through the entire contract with them anyway so I'm happy with that part. I'll be honest, it's a job and me and my family really could do with the money. Of course, I'll do everything right by going through everything and covering all bases with them. However, looking at the whole thing, I'd say that people knew what they were letting themselves in for since there are huge fuck-off signs over the item saying this shit. Still, I want to make absolutely sure they know what they're going to be doing. :)

That's cool, but how is your WENUS holding up?

Well done, Dannyboy. Give yourself a pat on the back from me. Or high-five yourself. Whichever looks funnier.

Congrats Dannyboy! Seems like you barely started..! How times flies.

I work at The Share Centre now! FT online stockbroker of the year (no biggie). But yeah my experience of HBOS was generally speaking chaos.

You mentioned LOAs which isn't remotely surprising...you would think there would be clear indication on a file if someone has authority, but nope you had to find and verify the letter (docs linked to customer at least) on each individual call. Terrible company.

Congrats on the FTOSOTY (not stopping with the acronyms just yet!). HBOS were always a bit pedantic about LOAs, but never noticed the calls taking too long. At least HBOS HAS call centres that deal with our requests. HSBC's call centres are in asia, and none of them can tell us anything despite having authority, and their PPI department has no telephones (actually sounds like a decent job :P) However HSBC won't charge us £10 for a DSAR as they know we're after PPI stuff, so they just send us refs for the PPI-related finances. Muy easy.

What's the share-selling like?

Given that it is cheaper for me to do a connecting flight home to Ireland, I was hoping to receive some advice about if you had a weekend free -- which place would you stay?

I can fly to either Stockholm, Copenhagen, Rome or Berlin for super super cheap so would anybody have any suggestions on best place to stay for the weekend ?

I can tell you a place in Rome I most definitely would not recommend.

One shared toilet and shower for about 20 rooms, and broken air conditioning. Nice and central though.

EDIT: unless you meant in terms of cities, in which case Rome is lovely, I'd recommend it.

What's the share-selling like?

It's okay. I'm still in Customer Services so it's meh - but at least the company is really, really good. Our chief exec just won the finance equivalent of a lifetime achievement award.

Cheerios. The best cereal.

Time for my long-awaited counter......

.... CINNAMON GRAHAMS.

.... CINNAMON GRAHAMS.

You do know Cinnamon Grahams no longer exist?

Well at least not under that guise, now they're Curiously Cinnamon.

I'll just give everyone a few minutes to let that news sink in.

.... CINNAMON GRAHAMS.

The terrifying thing is I have actually been waiting for this.

I think you're right on the Cheerios though. Recent mouthfuls of Cheerios have been stale and samey. My needs have changed.

You do know Cinnamon Grahams no longer exist?

Well at least not under that guise, now they're Curiously Cinnamon.

I'll just give everyone a few minutes to let that news sink in.

My whole world is a lie.

That's brilliant news! What is it you'll be doing, can't remember you saying specifically? Will you be moving?