NEurope
nightwolf

good stuff thread.

I've been wearing a watch more recently, but the only watch I had was the fancy one my dad bought me for my 30th, which I'm really paranoid about catching on things.

I was planning on getting a cheap Casio for those retro feels, but whilst looking for some things in my cupboards, I found my old watch from about 10-15 years ago. It wasn't working, but a new battery seems to have done the job.

It's not fancy, but it works and I completely forgot it had a really good light, so that was a nice bonus.

PSX-20210112-192015.jpg

• Thanks 1

For me, its the little things considering I've been crazy bored out of my skull on furlough.

So I've been playing a lot of Animal Crossing on the Switch and just recently found out you can make your own designs and stuff. I found a Beauty and the Beast flag and even a jumper that resembled the Beast's waistcoat in the ballroom scene.

After posting how happy I was I found it,@BowserBasher said that he had a Noble Coat and very kindly sent it to me. I absolutely love it!

I'm also loving Animal Crossing so much. Its helped me during this lockdown. Its sort of therapeutic.a52cb94fed276d66749576b057666222.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I just got a(nother) son! On Thursday, the water broke and out he came, with such a rush - the birth itself took only 40 minutees, from first signs to crying baby. Quite crazy.

We are home, safe, and everything seems to be fine. He's sucking and shitting and sleeping a lot so that's basically how it should be. He's quite cute and well-formed. My older son (now 3.5 years old) is taking it very well, though he is a bit more wild these days.

So yeah... looking forward to the young one getting a bit older and more fun.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

I just got a(nother) son! On Thursday, the water broke and out he came, with such a rush - the birth itself took only 40 minutees, from first signs to crying baby. Quite crazy.

We are home, safe, and everything seems to be fine. He's sucking and shitting and sleeping a lot so that's basically how it should be. He's quite cute and well-formed. My older son (now 3.5 years old) is taking it very well, though he is a bit more wild these days.

Congratulations!

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

Wow, way to go calling your newest family member boring :p

Congrats :peace:

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Wow, way to go calling your newest family member boring :p

Congrats :peace:

Have you met a newborn baby? They just lie there, all cute, no response to anything. In a month he will start smiling to people and then he'll be a bit more fun. :)

11 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

Have you met a newborn baby? They just lie there, all cute, no response to anything. In a month he will start smiling to people and then he'll be a bit more fun. :)

Yeah, I know :D 

• Like 1

Finally got a move in date for my new flat. We've been waiting since December but we'll finally have the keys on February 10th. Deposit and first month's rent have already been paid, new bed, mattress, sofa and various other bits have been ordered. Looking forward to it as I've been staying with my sister in law and its starting to feel like we're all getting in each other's ways a bit do it'll be good for myself and my partner to be back in our own place and for my sister in law and her partner to have their place (and their two sheds as all our stuff is currently stored in them) back.

Its been a long road to get here, with everything that's happened since November with our old downstairs neighbour. So roll on Feb. 10th :D new house, fresh start, excited.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

It's totally pointless, but this has made my day.

I submitted the podcast I'm part of to IMDb and it actually got approved, so I'm now listed as an actor and editor on there.

Screenshot-20210226-130919-IMDb.jpg

It's so fucking stupid, I love it.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Goafer said:

It's totally pointless, but this has made my day.

I submitted the podcast I'm part of to IMDb and it actually got approved, so I'm now listed as an actor and editor on there.

Screenshot-20210226-130919-IMDb.jpg

It's so fucking stupid, I love it.

I’m surprised they accepted it, I had a quick look at their rules after you posted about it and it said it only accepts podcasts if they’re video ones.

4 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

I’m surprised they accepted it, I had a quick look at their rules after you posted about it and it said it only accepts podcasts if they’re video ones.

They started accepting audio podcasts in February last year according to this announcement: https://community-imdb.sprinklr.com/conversations/data-issues-policy-discussions/policy-update-audio-only-podcasts-can-now-be-listed-on-imdb/5f4a7c7d8815453dba06d6b9

It is still weird that it's listed as a TV show though. I did at least have to add a tag to signify it as an audio podcast.

33 minutes ago, Goafer said:

They started accepting audio podcasts in February last year according to this announcement: https://community-imdb.sprinklr.com/conversations/data-issues-policy-discussions/policy-update-audio-only-podcasts-can-now-be-listed-on-imdb/5f4a7c7d8815453dba06d6b9

It is still weird that it's listed as a TV show though. I did at least have to add a tag to signify it as an audio podcast.

Ah cool, they should really update their other pages then saying video only!

Might have to start a podcast later to get on there. Need to think of a really boring subject for it.

Had an online exam just now and got 85%. Needs to be verified by the professor, but the official result shouldn't be any different. :D

So now I'll take a break from studying for upcoming exams for today and just chill.

Edited by drahkon
  • Like 2

Just watched a bird going in and out of the trees in our back garden with a load of twigs in its mouth. Looks like we'll have a nest and some chicks soon.

Bit annoying, as I'll have to trim the tops of the trees in spring, as they're getting close to the phone lines overhead, but I should be able to do it without disturbing the nest too much.

2 hours ago, Goafer said:

Just watched a bird going in and out of the trees in our back garden with a load of twigs in its mouth. Looks like we'll have a nest and some chicks soon.

Bit annoying, as I'll have to trim the tops of the trees in spring, as they're getting close to the phone lines overhead, but I should be able to do it without disturbing the nest too much.

Go do it now. You have guests arriving!

4 hours ago, Goafer said:

I really wouldn't do it when there's a nest in there in Spring, it will probably get abandoned even if you don't touch it. Might be best to get it out of the way now or wait until Autumn (they recommend to not trim any hedges/trees between March and August to not disturb nesting birds). 

1 hour ago, Eenuh said:

I really wouldn't do it when there's a nest in there in Spring, it will probably get abandoned even if you don't touch it. Might be best to get it out of the way now or wait until Autumn (they recommend to not trim any hedges/trees between March and August to not disturb nesting birds). 

Unfortunately, I don't think I'll have a choice. There are phone lines overhead and our trees normally require the tops trimming at least twice over the summer. They grow ludicrously fast during the spring, so even if I cut them back now, they'll still need it again.

From the looks of where the bird is going in and out, it's fairly low in the tree. I think if I use clippers instead of our electric trimmer, I can just clip any thin branches at the top without making too much noise. If I do it from the outside of the house, there's also a fence in the way, which should mean they don't really see me.

Trimming may be violating Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 and in breach of The European Habitats Directive 1992/Nesting Birds Directive.

So don't get caught if you do this

Edited by EEVILMURRAY

Maybe sprinkle some battery acid around the bottom of the trees. That should stop them growing and remove the need for trimming.

Looked into it a bit more and it's definitely a blackbird. Looking into blackbird habits, they take 2 weeks to build a nest and lay eggs fairly quickly afterwards, 2 weeks to hatch and 2 weeks for the young to leave the nest (although can survive after 9 days if disturbed). Blackbirds also tend to build new nests for each brood.

The trees should be fine for 7 weeks, so I guess I'll re-evaluate then. Hopefully she's moved on by that point.

I've also contacted RSPB for their advice, so will hopefully have a better idea soon.

Edited by Goafer

Just looking at my profile here and apparently I've won 39 days. Good for me.

So we took the plunge and trimmed the hedge. I figured it was better if she fucked off before laying eggs if she was going to.

Needn't have worried though, as she's still in and out of there this morning.

IMG-9672.jpg

Judging by that photo though, she's holding a grudge.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2