11 minutes ago, ArtMediocre said:

So, I'm having twins this august....

Yeah, cool...but we're in the semi-final. :p 

Congrats :) 

46 minutes ago, ArtMediocre said:

So, I'm having twins this august....

Congratulations!

*goodbye, money*

In fairness Danny DeVito and Arnie have a lot of money, he should be fine. 

Congrats!

...and just like that, I'm engaged. :)

My ring that I'm currently waiting to be made: 

il_fullxfull.1762685385_qi91.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

I know it makes sense to pick out your own ring afterwards, but going down on one knee and offering up a box with an IOU in it just doesn't seem as romantic.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Magnus said:

I know it makes sense to pick out your own ring afterwards, but going down on one knee and offering up a box with an IOU in it just doesn't seem as romantic.

Aye you're right! I'm a lucky (if rather spoiled girl) and he proposed with a much cheaper ring on the day, so I can wear it in the mean time or on the days I don't want to get my ring damaged. We had spoken before about rings/proposals so thankfully it's worked out for both of us. :)

Thank you everyone! 😍

• Like 4

Congrats 'wolf :)

I proposed once and did exactly that, I got a cheap but cute ring as we were in Italy and I thought we could pick out a nicer one while we were there.

The less said about how that engagement eventually ended up the better though :laughing:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

One of the barbers at the place I normally go to has been fired for failing to show up and selling/smuggling weed (not in the barbers itself). Not good news itself, as he was a nice guy, but he once gave me an awful haircut, so I no longer have to worry about doing the whole awkward "I'll wait for the other barber" thing.

I've always found barbers to be awkward. There's no order to the queue, you have to just remember who came in before/after you, which only gets more confusing if people wait for certain barbers and then you either have to hope you get one of the good ones or awkwardly say you'll wait for the other guy, when what you actually mean is "You're shit, I'll wait for a good barber". You know that's what you mean, he knows what you mean and the whole waiting room knows what you mean.

Fortunately it's now got better in my barbers, as the only people left are the 2 owners (who are great) and their new apprentice, who's too new/not confident enough to do long hair yet.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Goafer said:

One of the barbers at the place I normally go to has been fired for failing to show up and selling/smuggling weed (not in the barbers itself). Not good news itself, as he was a nice guy, but he once gave me an awful haircut, so I no longer have to worry about doing the whole awkward "I'll wait for the other barber" thing.

I've always found barbers to be awkward. There's no order to the queue, you have to just remember who came in before/after you, which only gets more confusing if people wait for certain barbers and then you either have to hope you get one of the good ones or awkwardly say you'll wait for the other guy, when what you actually mean is "You're shit, I'll wait for a good barber". You know that's what you mean, he knows what you mean and the whole waiting room knows what you mean.

Fortunately it's now got better in my barbers, as the only people left are the 2 owners (who are great) and their new apprentice, who's too new/not confident enough to do long hair yet.

I've managed to find a way to get around all of the hassle. Luckily, we have one which is less than a 2 minute's drive from us and I've already worked out the timings of when it's busy or quiet. They never seem to have more than one person working at a time and the people that work there all seem lovely. Haven't had a bad experience yet, so I seem to have hit the jackpot there. Never been there waiting with more than 2 people in front of me. :D The chitchat is also quite minimal too, so you haven't got to think quickly for interesting stuff to say. I just tell them, "I'm a teacher. I'm tired." They soon leave me alone! :D 

The worst places that I've found are the ones that seem to have a different guy working there each time. Where do they find these people?! I had a terrible experience in Newport once where this geezaaaaar told me he was "going to give me the best haircut in all of Newport, blud". By then, it was too late and I was already in the chair and barber-bibbed up. Easily the worst haircut of my life. It was shoooooort. Not short enough to count as bald, not long enough to do anything with it. Just one size all the way around. He did the whole thing with the mirror where they show you the back. Yup, just as shiiiit as the front thanks, blud. :(

2 minutes ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

The worst places that I've found are the ones that seem to have a different guy working there each time.

That's what I like about the place I go to. It's owned by 2 brothers and they're both great. They're chatty, but it never feels awkward, as they'll happily cut in silence if conversation dries up.

The only downside is they have 4 seats, so will sometimes take on an apprentice/additional worker or two. They tend to train an apprentice, who becomes a full time barber eventually. They've had good people before and do a good job with the training, but the last guy wasn't great and made it a bit awkward to go there.

I cut my own hair, and as such have never been to a hairdressers. I've been tempted in the past, but now I worry that I'd do something foolish that would signal me out as a weirdo who didn't know what the normal hairdressing procedure was.

So I will continue to just cut my own and wonder what could have been...

• Like 1

My standard procedure:

Wait 6 months to a year before going because I hate having it cut.

Panic in the waiting area, wondering if I counted correctly when I walked in.

"What can I do for you today?" *Another panic because I have no idea* "Erm, shorter?"

*Hair cut*

"How does that look?" "Great, thanks!" Utterly regardless of how it actually looks.

Walk out relieved that I won't have to do that again for at least 6 months.

Edited by Goafer

Hahah god I hate having my hair cut. I've actually never set foot in a hairdresser's in the UK (despite living here for 7 years now) and only get it cut when I visit my family in Belgium.
Been going there for a few years now and they are quite cheap (though recently have upped their prices, boooh). 

I hate talking about nothing to strangers to fill the silence, but since I go to the same 2 ladies every time, at least it feels a bit less awkward and they know me a bit (and don't expect me to talk constantly). Plus I go with my mom which helps to fill some of the silence. :D

I've been getting my haircut from a local hairdresser in my village for years. No idea wha I would even ask for if I went to a barbers now.

9 hours ago, bob said:

I worry that I'd do something foolish that would signal me out as a weirdo

You look foolish everyday on here and we still love you 😙

• Like 1

Once I've found someone good I just make sure that I can book that particular person every time I go for a haircut. I currently go to a Japanese Barber who doesn't really speak much English - I get a good haircut while also keeping up with my Japanese skills.

I generally go to my barbers about 4 times a year, generally at the end of each season to shed the previous' coat.

Currently there isn't one there I dislike but I haven't tried them all. 

General demand : 3 on back and sides and about half off the top.