NEurope
nightwolf

good stuff thread.

Don't latch onto it, it's one of those things you'll think about for ages - but everyone else will have already forgotten.

Don't latch onto it, it's one of those things you'll think about for ages - but everyone else will have already forgotten.

There was another issue, which some of the feedback has brought to further light.

Basically, as this wasn't a Battle Box locked event (everything controlled by TPCi's software), the turn time was over twice the length it should be and we had only practiced using official and proper timings so when people started playing out the clock (annoyingly) I ended up with nothing to say so there was silence :/

Due to that and the aforementioned error, one person kept saying we were the worst commentators ever :/

Yeah, don't be bummed out. It takes some serious Poké Balls to get up there and do something like that. If you enjoyed it, do more and you'll get the knack of filling that kinda downtime pretty quickly.

Can hardly expect it to go really well with no experience!

The best bet is to be humble, admit that it's new to you, poke fun at yourself/laugh things off. Get meta if you're being thrown off by something that's different, "oh of course here we're not actually using traditional timings today, so the wait is a little bit longer between goes than we're used to", "haha yeah so if you notice a little bit of a gap in our commentary that might just be us getting used to the delay!", "of course in an official Battle Box tournament, turn times are limited to..."

You get the idea.

Have a huge list of relevant things to say to fill empty spaces!

Just think, the problems you had last time will never be problems again, you won't let them be, so you've already gained experience and improved. Think where you'll be after doing it five, ten, a hundred times :)

Yeah I used to help out behind the camera for some esports stuff and it's intense and people sat at home on keyboards don't even think of the difficulty of doing it and just like pointing out problems.

Obviously take on board feedback that is useful, but ignore people moaning just because they're moany little fucks.

Can hardly expect it to go really well with no experience!

The best bet is to be humble, admit that it's new to you, poke fun at yourself/laugh things off. Get meta if you're being thrown off by something that's different, "oh of course here we're not actually using traditional timings today, so the wait is a little bit longer between goes than we're used to", "haha yeah so if you notice a little bit of a gap in our commentary that might just be us getting used to the delay!", "of course in an official Battle Box tournament, turn times are limited to..."

You get the idea.

Just think, the problems you had last time will never be problems again, you won't let them be, so you've already gained experience and improved. Think where you'll be after doing it five, ten, a hundred times :)

Yeah, did throw a couple of those in there :) Still, people complained.

There does seem to be interest from the higher ups of the UK TOs for me to do it again, but they're wanting to give other people a shot as well. They picked me and my friend because we were the ones introduced as a duo (plus my position in the community helps with exposure).

Difference is, lots of people have the knowledge, but having the knowledge and being able to commentate in a way that doesn't bore people is a tricky thing to do.

My commentating partner and I are going to keep practicing. Next time we may be able to do it is April, but I'm hoping to parlay it into commentating Nationals. That'd be huge

If football commentary has taught me anything, then you need a huge list of irrelevant and meaningless "statistics" based on coincidence and small sample sizes.

"I don't fancy Tim's chances. Every pokématch where somebody whose name begins with T faces somebody whose name begins with J, the trainer whose name begins with J has won, 100% of the time, out of the two previous occasions where this instance has occurred."

"Not to mention the fact that trainers who wear a green cap and a red shirt have lost two thirds (out of three) of their games to trainers who have a handlebar moustache."

"Tim has got to be worried about those odds."

And for those times when something in the match goes wrong, just use this classic...

:heh:

Seriously though, good on you Serebii for giving it a go, things will surely only get better for next time. : peace:

I take solace in the fact that people who do it for the event in the US, officially, get a lot of crap wrong. Them commentating the Japan VS Japan match for Masters Final last year was hilarious as they didn't know what the hell was going on, if it was a critical, what move was used (until animation) and so forth

Have you checked out professional esports streams? There's plenty of commentators out there now and while they may obviously be a mixed bag, it would be a good way to see how they fill gaps. We used to get DDOSed and have to deal with that and was impressed with how they managed to keep people engaged while nothing was actually happening.

Yeah, did throw a couple of those in there :) Still, people complained.

There does seem to be interest from the higher ups of the UK TOs for me to do it again, but they're wanting to give other people a shot as well. They picked me and my friend because we were the ones introduced as a duo (plus my position in the community helps with exposure).

Difference is, lots of people have the knowledge, but having the knowledge and being able to commentate in a way that doesn't bore people is a tricky thing to do.

My commentating partner and I are going to keep practicing. Next time we may be able to do it is April, but I'm hoping to parlay it into commentating Nationals. That'd be huge

Yeah, don't let it get to you. Sounds like it went pretty well overall, but with you being so well known, you're always gonna get those people like in that Simpsons episode ;)

I know from personal experience that when you're doing live commenting on the spot like that (be it in person or streaming online) that it's really easy to miss things or slip up here and there. People don't always appreciate how tough it is when you've got eyes and ears on you.

I hope you get to do nationals! I'd love to hear and see you commentating live! :D

Have you checked out professional esports streams? There's plenty of commentators out there now and while they may obviously be a mixed bag, it would be a good way to see how they fill gaps. We used to get DDOSed and have to deal with that and was impressed with how they managed to keep people engaged while nothing was actually happening.

It's just tricky. I can fill in the gap of the usual time it takes for a turn to be done, but this elongated timer due to no official rule capabilities is what messes me up. I run out of the bull I can spout :p

Was going through some old documents this evening and saw that in 1993 I auditioned to be in a Nintendo advertisment.

Car passed it's MOT, plus I managed to unlock the stereo (it locked after a battery change).

Good job it passed too as my my other half's car's MOT ran out today and it would have left us without a (legal) car. Proper skin of our teeth moment. Should probably be more organised next year...

Once let my tax expire by like 3 months. When I went to renew it they said it didn't have a valid MOT. On the way to get my MOT a police car pulled into traffic immediately behind me.

Nothing happened though.

I also failed that MOT....

Apparently if police cars went after everyone who didn't have a valid MOT, tax or insurance, they'd do little else. They have software that reads number plates and tells them in real time who's being naughty, and there are LOADS.

Well my car's ran out in September, so I'm probably on that list somewhere. Admittedly I haven't been driving it at all in the last few weeks and probably very little before that. I'm still certain that I must have driven it without an MOT for at least a few weeks.

Once let my tax expire by like 3 months. When I went to renew it they said it didn't have a valid MOT. On the way to get my MOT a police car pulled into traffic immediately behind me.

Nothing happened though.

I also failed that MOT....

Back before it all went digital, I took the wrong MOT certificate with me when I went to buy tax at the local post office (the hazards of having 2 cars). Can't remember if the car I was actually taxing had a valid MOT or not, but I walked out with a tax disc and no questions asked. Only realised afterwards that I had given them the wrong MOT certificate.

Edited by Goafer
Automerged Doublepost

Finally thought of some more Christmas Presents for my girlfriend :)

617AD4OIGTL._SL1200_.jpg

Because she once told me that a tray for breakfast in bed would be awesome.

81pyOuqfXCL._SY550_.jpg

Because she loves Minions :laughing:

Adding to those I'll fill two of the following glasses with self-made peeling (or exfoliation product...no idea what the correct translation is :D) and one with ingredients for chocolate chip cookies.

Einweckglas_Bugelverschluss_0_5_Liter_Kopie.gif

Edited by drahkon

Took my sweet flippin' time, but passed my Mod 2 bike test today :D Full license get.

Now I just need to rent/buy a new place with a garage so I can buy a big bike before next Summer!

Took my sweet flippin' time, but passed my Mod 2 bike test today :D Full license get.

Now I just need to rent/buy a new place with a garage so I can buy a big bike before next Summer!

Get a café racer., The narrow handlebars fit through most doorways so you can store it in the living room.

My other half doesn't realise that the real reason I want French doors is so I can do the same with my Scirocco. Even got the laminate floor down ready to help with oil leaks.

Get a café racer., The narrow handlebars fit through most doorways so you can store it in the living room.

My other half doesn't realise that the real reason I want French doors is so I can do the same with my Scirocco. Even got the laminate floor down ready to help with oil leaks.

I know you're only half serious but I have extended my search to ground floor flats and houses with flat entryways/patio doors for this very reason :p Can't be a cafe racer though, cos my heart already belongs to the Triumph Street Triple <3 (although not at the "new" price seen there :heh:)

Edited by Shorty

Currently sitting at work, waiting for a dialysis to make some progress...

Thank God I brought my Vita :D

Currently sitting at work, waiting for a dialysis to make some progress...

Thank God I brought my Vita :D

That's taking the piss a bit isn't it?

I'm here all week folks. Try the fish.