NEurope
nightwolf

good stuff thread.

Congrats @dr4hkon for finding that seed of happiness, and not flooding it with hope too soon :)

And @Tales seriously I'm in awe of you doing this. Looking forward to hearing about it!

@coolness_bears glad to see you back! Bring us your happy plz :)

And everyone else; good jokes, good posts. Happy day today for sure!

Ack, they're just doing that because the make-up sex is so great.

He is a member of the LDS Church, which I believe stands for Long-lasting Dynamic Sex.

He is a member of the LDS Church, which I believe stands for Long-lasting Dynamic Sex.

I've been doing it wrong. :(

Managed to get the PC working. It runs a treat :D

What was the problem?

Go on, spill your idiocy.

Turns out one of the plug bits right next to the fan was for the floppy drives, not for connecting the fan to the motherboard. Doing so seemingly shorted out the entire PSU power connection.

Not my fault that I forgot floppy drives existed. I have images on my site that won't even fit on them. It's ridiculous

I've been doing it wrong. :(

You have two human beings that suggest otherwise!

Listened to the new Tegan & Sara album and The Boy Least Likely To released a new song. It's been a good music day and that's all I care about!

Turns out one of the plug bits right next to the fan was for the floppy drives, not for connecting the fan to the motherboard. Doing so seemingly shorted out the entire PSU power connection.

Not my fault that I forgot floppy drives existed. I have images on my site that won't even fit on them. It's ridiculous

For a while during my PhD, floppy drives were actually how i had to transfer my data.

Ridiculous.

For a while during my PhD, floppy drives were actually how i had to transfer my data.

Ridiculous.

Is that because you thought PhD stood for Phloppy Discs?

Surely not! Looking at your site it was designed in the days of floppy drives. ;)

Surely not! Looking at your site it was designed in the days of floppy drives. ;)

Are you talking about the place where legends come to life?

Is that because you thought PhD stood for Phloppy Discs?

Maybe he's been working on his PhD for the last decade and a half.

You joke, but some people do drag it out over two decades, if not more.

You make me sad :(

Because I haven't seen any one I actually know in days, figured I'd stop by the local ramen place because he's a pretty cool dude who also cried when the Australians went home :P

Talked about random food, but mostly about spicy stuff as I'm usually ordering his spicy miso ramen which he has like 7 different levels of (ranging from 0 to 5, but has a 優しいと思う level which basically translates to "Gentle, I think"). This time I was on level 3 and managed the whole thing despite basically burning my lips to a crisp. I said to him I'll beat 5 before I leave, but now I'm thinking about trying to complete it before the month is over.

Maybe he's been working on his PhD for the last decade and a half.

Not quite. The PC that i have to use runs Windows 95 and only has a floppy drive. Tried using a zip drive for a while, but it actually took longer.

Finally managed to work it using an ethernet cable and transferring everything directly. Felt like a Cro-Magnon man discovering fire, that day.

Because I haven't seen any one I actually know in days, figured I'd stop by the local ramen place because he's a pretty cool dude who also cried when the Australians went home :P

Talked about random food, but mostly about spicy stuff as I'm usually ordering his spicy miso ramen which he has like 7 different levels of (ranging from 0 to 5, but has a 優しいと思う level which basically translates to "Gentle, I think"). This time I was on level 3 and managed the whole thing despite basically burning my lips to a crisp. I said to him I'll beat 5 before I leave, but now I'm thinking about trying to complete it before the month is over.

Vaguely related, I bought a chicken/bacon sandwich yesterday and only realised halfway through that it was stuffed with some sort of chilli pepper. Although it was relatively mild, it was still too much for me, and I actually felt a bit sick from the heat.

Not quite. The PC that i have to use runs Windows 95 and only has a floppy drive. Tried using a zip drive for a while, but it actually took longer.

Finally managed to work it using an ethernet cable and transferring everything directly. Felt like a Cro-Magnon man discovering fire, that day.

... There are still computers that run Windows 95?

Maybe it's part of his PhD. Maybe he's studying how people lived in the mid-nineties.

... There are still computers that run Windows 95?

Oh indeed there are.

In fact, up until last year, there was a computer in my lab that ran DOS. I updated it to XP.

Basically in the world of Academia, computers are only gained when the person in front of you in the queue gets a new one.

My lab is at the bottom of the queue.

Today was the first day at work since 2 weeks. It was good :)

And if everything goes well a couple of friends and me will go to a bar and have a nice time next Wednesday.

Also: The girl I asked to see a movie with me will probably come over on Tuesday or Wednesday (before I go out of course) to do exactly that.

34911556.jpg

Roll on, good and/or bad times. I'm ready.

Good problem to have, but it's keeping me awake tonight - been offered a job in a totally different industry. Don't know whether I should accept or not...:hmm:

Going to need a serious think this weekend as they need an answer by Monday.

Vaguely related, I bought a chicken/bacon sandwich yesterday and only realised halfway through that it was stuffed with some sort of chilli pepper. Although it was relatively mild, it was still too much for me, and I actually felt a bit sick from the heat.

Halfway through? The fuck are they using in that for the heat, naga chilli?

I like my hot stuff and this ramen guy has made it into a challenge with all the different levels. Because there's a lot of exchange students coming in, I imagine what's happened is that he was told his original spicy ramen isn't actually all that spicy by international standards thanks to the Japanese mainly being pretty weak with spicy stuff.

When I did level 2, I drank the entire soup base and when he came to collect my bowl he had this look of disbelief on his face. He told me I probably shouldn't attempt that for anything stronger and my god he was right, there was no way I was going to drink that pit of lava from level 3.

Halfway through? The fuck are they using in that for the heat, naga chilli?

I like my hot stuff and this ramen guy has made it into a challenge with all the different levels. Because there's a lot of exchange students coming in, I imagine what's happened is that he was told his original spicy ramen isn't actually all that spicy by international standards thanks to the Japanese mainly being pretty weak with spicy stuff.

When I did level 2, I drank the entire soup base and when he came to collect my bowl he had this look of disbelief on his face. He told me I probably shouldn't attempt that for anything stronger and my god he was right, there was no way I was going to drink that pit of lava from level 3.

What is the goddamn point of making food painful? If people like eating painful food, I suggest they eat a hedgehog. Ass first.

What is the goddamn point of making food painful? If people like eating painful food, I suggest they eat a hedgehog. Ass first.

Haha, to be honest, I'm not sure if I really understand myself. There are definitely a lot of foods that are on the hot side by default that I fucking love, so maybe I got accustomed to it. This spicy ramen thing though, above level 2, is designed to be painful in my opinion considering he only really makes it as a challenge.

He's got a good way of making it though, the spice actually works well with the taste, but level 3 was the only one were the taste remained the same rather than improving. It didn't get any worse though. I just figure that while I'm up that high, might as well go all the way just to say I did it and apparently he hasn't served a white guy the level 5 yet so that's amusing.

But in principle, I do agree with you. Eating things purely for the pain is a terrible idea as it does you more harm than good. Only go with foods where the heat is the result of a good blend of ingredients.

Haha, to be honest, I'm not sure if I really understand myself. There are definitely a lot of foods that are on the hot side by default that I fucking love, so maybe I got accustomed to it. This spicy ramen thing though, above level 2, is designed to be painful in my opinion considering he only really makes it as a challenge.

He's got a good way of making it though, the spice actually works well with the taste, but level 3 was the only one were the taste remained the same rather than improving. It didn't get any worse though. I just figure that while I'm up that high, might as well go all the way just to say I did it and apparently he hasn't served a white guy the level 5 yet so that's amusing.

But in principle, I do agree with you. Eating things purely for the pain is a terrible idea as it does you more harm than good. Only go with foods where the heat is the result of a good blend of ingredients.

Agreed. I had some fragrant Indian rice yesterday that was just wonderfully - delicately spiced and just bursting with a variety of flavours.

I had a Sichuanese bullfrog dish once, and I was incapable of eating more than a spoonful of the sauce. Neither was anyone else. But they all thought it was HILARIOUS that we had wasted 200 RMB (£20) on a big bowl of shit that no-one could eat.