NEurope
nightwolf

good stuff thread.

Got confirmation that my probation review thing for work will be next Wednesday. Eight days until I hand in my notice!

Think I'm actually going through with that Rome thing. I bought the somewhat expensive trip half drunk depressing over not having been travelling anywhere for the past six years let alone having anyone to travel with. One day ago I was pretty much ready to cancel the tickets and hotel. Today I was researching what to do when and charging the battery on my camera(got a bit of a scare when I couldn't find the charger) Tomorrow I will go to college(Oh I finished my degree this December, no job yet though, wrong thread for that..) and print out a map of the city centre and draw up a route to follow using this guideline. Will leave Friday morning if I can muster a little bit more courage.

Ah Rome is such a great city, especially if you like culture and ancient Roman history. There will be plenty to do and see! Though if you are traveling alone, maybe it would be a good idea to go to a hostel? You might meet some people there who are traveling through the city as well. =)

Unless of course you would prefer to go alone and actually stay in a nice hotel haha. My sleeping experiences in hostels aren't great. =P

But yes, enjoy Rome! I would love to go again someday!

I'm not really sure what kind of hotel I got. It was relatively cheap and in the centre, the latter which was important for me. A hostel where I could meet other people could be nice, but I'm not sure if I can cancel my current and it seems like a daunting task to find something else on my own anyway. A website fixed the whole trip for me plane and hotel.

I think it's great that you're going out and actively doing something about the things you're unhappy about. :) It's quite inspiring, actually.

Rome is awesome. If you're looking to meet people, find one of the random walking tours that does a loop of the central touristy things (look for someone with an umberella/toy tied to a stick etc) and i'm sure you'll meet some people there!

Pro tip: Try going to the big park (i think it's called Villa Borghese) to the north. It's a nice place to wander around and see some pretty views. PLus in the summer they had bikes/golf carts/segways to rent which was awesome. Not sure if they'll have them in Feb though....

@Tales good luck! I once wussed out of a solo trip to Germany. Bought two tickets to see a music one-night festival, my friend backed out and I basically lost a few hundred quid because I was such a pansy about it all.

I have a few really, really good excuses to not go travelling alone, but they're still just excuses.

Thanks for the tips. Talking to people, strangers in particular, isn't really my thing though so most likely I'll just wander around taking picture of every single Roman stone structure I can find instead and be happy about that.

Someone up there is making sure I go that is for sure. I was checking my bank account just now when it to my surprise made me go through the possibly quarterly "where can your credit card be used" which has up until now been blocked for everywhere but Norway.

I can see Villa Borghese on the map, I'll consider it if it fits in. I think I'll rank stone over trees though :p unless it is in a high place or some other cool stuff to look at or something?

A question, when to eat, is there any particular type of restaurant or cafe I should be looking for and what to try?

Edited by Tales

Do it Tales and have a fantastic time! City breaks are great by yourself, you can see what you want and not have to worry about anyone else :heh:

Should be going to an animation festival in the south of France in June with friends. Contemplating staying in Paris for a few days extra, maybe even hopping over to Italy.

Should be going to an animation festival in the south of France in June with friends. Contemplating staying in Paris for a few days extra, maybe even hopping over to Italy.

Annecy by any chance?

If so, I am jealous! I have been there for the festival and I loved it! Absolutely amazing. Went there with animation school, camping in a tent. The weather was lovely, the surroundings are beautiful and the atmosphere there was just amazing. I loved seeing all the different types of animations and figuring out which ones we would go to see (since there is so many!).

I don't know if they still do this, but when we went, people loved to throw paper airplanes around before the start of the animations. Such fun. Oh and they had an outside screen (an inflatable one I think) on a field and they showed Daft Punk's Interstella 5555 on there, with of course all the French going crazy haha. =D

Yeah villa borghese is on a hill, so you get some awesome views out over Rome.

Not really sure about food, I was always after the cheapest available so I can't comment.

There were a lot of places to eat around a couple of public squares though. When i'm not on my phone i'll look them up for you.

Edit: Piazza Navona is one, and i think Campo De Fiori is another. Both have lots of restaurants and cafes.

Also, if you like cats (who doesn't) there's a bizarre cat sanctuary in the middle of Rome, where hundreds of cats just wander around this square - it's in Torre Argentina.

Edited by 130131301364

I have been painting. The stuff I have painted has not been exclusively shit. Success.

Yeah villa borghese is on a hill, so you get some awesome views out over Rome.

Not really sure about food, I was always after the cheapest available so I can't comment.

There were a lot of places to eat around a couple of public squares though. When i'm not on my phone i'll look them up for you.

Edit: Piazza Navona is one, and i think Campo De Fiori is another. Both have lots of restaurants and cafes.

Also, if you like cats (who doesn't) there's a bizarre cat sanctuary in the middle of Rome, where hundreds of cats just wander around this square - it's in Torre Argentina.

I love cats. We used to have six but they are all gone now. Where is this place exactly? I see it's in the middle of Rome so I will fit it in my route, but when I simply search on google I get 6-7 places in a few streets close to each other. Is it on the street Via Argentina?

Ha! No, it is Torre Argentina, as in, it is the whole square.

There is a large area of old Roman ruins in the centre of the square, and the hundreds of cats roam around on them, and get fed by tourists. You shouldn't have trouble finding them! I think there is a building which houses the actual sanctuary, where you can go in and make a donation, but it was closed when we went.

Slowly starting to sort out my life.

Yesterday I was 'talking' to a girl I met a year ago (we chattet on facebook). We both work in the same field but in different towns, so that took up a big part of the conversation.

We then ended up telling each other how messed up we are. She told me something very personal, that only very few people know about her, and I told her everything about my Dad and my ex (which only one person (now two) knows, except you lot, of course).

Even though it was just text messaging, it was relieving. Later she invited me to come to her home sometime.

She lives 350km away from my hometown.

I'll start working again on Friday and will check out when I have some days off.

If everything goes as planned I'll visit her soon and hopefully meet some new people and start climbing out of this misery, albeit very slowly.

And another girl is checking if she can find some time next week. We wanted to watch a movie together, which we've seen 5 or 6 years ago, when we were really close friends. It was kind of something special.

We drifted apart for some reason and I've always regretted not trying to prevent that from happening.

So I was asking her just now if she wants to come over next week and watch the movie with me. :)

It might be trivial for a lot of people, but for me, in my current situation, this is as good as it gets.

All this has nothing to do with me getting out there again to chase girls and find a new love, all this is me trying to fix myself.

And one more thing: I'll start saving money so I can go on vacation in the summer. Doesn't matter if I have to go alone.

@Tales you've inspired me, and it's awesome that you're going through with this. :)

Edited by drahkon

Annecy by any chance?

If so, I am jealous! I have been there for the festival and I loved it! Absolutely amazing. Went there with animation school, camping in a tent. The weather was lovely, the surroundings are beautiful and the atmosphere there was just amazing. I loved seeing all the different types of animations and figuring out which ones we would go to see (since there is so many!).

I don't know if they still do this, but when we went, people loved to throw paper airplanes around before the start of the animations. Such fun. Oh and they had an outside screen (an inflatable one I think) on a field and they showed Daft Punk's Interstella 5555 on there, with of course all the French going crazy haha. =D

Annecy indeed :)

Looks like it will be fun during the day, and then drinking red wine during the night. Looking forward to it!

Looking into attaching a trip to Paris and Rome around this too. Thinking maybe Paris the few days before, then Rome for a few days afterwards.

Edited by Ashley

Everyone will be a lot less inspired by @Tales when he gets murdered in Rome.

It's that a joke or reference I don't get? :p

Anyway, in preperation for the trip I bought new shoes, since my current pair barely hold together. Not as comfy, but they were more than twice as cheap than everything else I could find so they will do. Also bought a money belt and belt for my pants so there is an actual point for the money belt(keeping it hidden).

I will depart from Molde at 07:00 on Friday, Oslo at 10:30 and arriving in Rome at 15:10 with a stop in Berlin. Home trip is on Monday late afternoon with arrival in Oslo late in the evening. Must sleep at the airport(or just stay awake) as the next possible flight doesn't leave until 08:00 the next day.

Edited by Tales

I have returned home from my travels a MAN.*

*a man who still enjoys being massively child like BUT a child that has Kayaked on the OPEN SEAs.

(yes I'm one of THOSE guys now.)

I am so much thinner in the face it's ridiculous.

2014. premonitions :grin:

I'm bursting full of energy and stored up weirdness. :D

This forum suddenly seems much happier.

Apart from Mr_Odwin planning to murder Tales in Rome, yes.

Apart from Mr_Odwin planning to murder Tales in Rome, yes.

Ack, they're just doing that because the make-up sex is so great.