NEurope
Ashley

PLANNED SERVER DOWNTIME - October 16th/17th

The N-Europe servers will be going down for some planned server downtime beginning tonight. If all goes well, it should only take a few hours and you may even wake up tomorrow morning not noticing it ever happened.

This downtime comes as N-Europe makes a move to a new server. This change should hopefully provide us with a faster, more stable site and more control over various bugs and issues as they arise (such as issues with the homepage in Google Chrome and Safari).

All files (over 16GB!) have been moved over to the new server ready for the switch, however we will need to shut the site down to make up-to-date backups of comments, news, forum posts and similar, before the old server switches off.

We do not have an exact time for this yet, but the old server will be switching off at 00:01 CDT, which I believe equates to 6AM in the UK, so it will be some time before that.

We are currently waiting to get the nameservers for the domain name changed. This particular part of the switch is out of our control and should really have been done sooner than this, so please bear with us if this leads to a longer downtime than we're hoping for.

(copy and paste job of Shorty's announcement)

If you are suffering from pro-longed downtime contact me on [email protected]

We are now on the new server :) Please report any bugs you might find to me.

I had a moment of panic when I finished the switch and found all the last posts in Gen Chit-Chat saying "yesterday". I thought I'd lost 24 hours of posts somehow. Then I realised it had just gone midnight :D

Yeah sorry there's really little we can do about it. It just depends on when your ISP is next set to refresh its DNS server.

I actually can't get back on the site yet myself, by normal methods. But I'm glad to see that others can :)

Edited by Shorty

I'm back. Yes!

And within the last hour as I checked when I woke up and got the maintenance page.

Thanks again Shorty.

Gave the Extra Life guys the advice that restarting your router may fix the problem. It did for them!

The site also loads on Chrome for me now. This is a revelation.

I've just been able to get on now.

Glad it's back, so far I haven't noticed much difference but I don't really tend to notice those things anyway :p

We just moved to a new server. No big differences other than the lack of adverts on the main page.

Well I cannot access this site from my computer. I keep getting the "the connection was reset" error FireFox. I'm using my phone right now BTW.

Try doing a hard refresh:

There are different ways to do a hard refresh in Firefox depending on whether you're using a Windows, Macintosh or other operating system. Also, it's helpful to note that in Firefox's documentation, refresh is referred to as reload. For Windows, holding down the Ctrl or Shift key while clicking on the refresh button works as does pressing Ctrl-F5. For Macintosh and all other operating systems, holding down the Shift key while clicking on the refresh button works as does pressing Command-Shift-R. Additionally, on Macintosh, holding down the Option or Command key while clicking on the Refresh button appears to work as well.

If that doesn't work it may be worth waiting. It can take up to 72 hours (so another 48 hours) depending on your ISP. If after that you're still having issues email me.

Well the site did load briefly earlier but it stopped working after about a minute. Since it doesn't work with IE either, I'm guessing your right about it being an ISP thing. Time to play the waiting game I guess.

And now it decides to work... don't I look the fool...again.

Edited by Captain Falcon
Automerged Doublepost

The site keeps failing to load for me. Sometimes it will load for a few minutes (like now), but then it stops working again for a few hours. I hope it starts working properly again soon, 'cause I need my daily N-E fix. D:

Follow ashley's advice, if that fails then follow dyson's advice, if that fails then follow shorty's advice.