NEurope
Ashley

30 Rock

Its cropped up in conversation in the HIMYM thread and with the live episode(s) airing last night in America figured a thread would be good.

The live episode was great. Such a great atmosphere and I love the clever way they handled the flashbacks, although I won't spoil it because its that awesome.

alg_30_rock.jpg

Suck it nerds!

They planned it well. Tracy learns about "breaking" (ie messing up during a live show) and goes about trying to do it on TGS. Although he (the actor, not the character) did pause for a moment and forget something but recovered. Jane did something similar in the west coast feed. Speaking of, I love that there were two versions.

I watched the East one (my first episode) and enjoyed a fair bit. Tina Fey is super foxy. Bill Hader is obviously win. Want to download the West one when I get back.

I'll eventually get into it for real.

Related tv news.....did not enjoy flicking channels and seeing Dexter. More specifically someone in a coffin. Sort of knew that person wouldnt due to ...blah....but annoying that I now know that they bite it. Ho hum.

Everytime I watch an ep... I really don't get why this is so liked, apart from Jack, of course. Everything else is just so uninspired...

Everytime I watch an ep... I really don't get why this is so liked, apart from Jack, of course. Everything else is just so uninspired...

I knew it! :grin:

Anyway, I really should check out this series at some point...

Edited by Jonnas

I disagree. Every episode is fantastically written. Maybe it is just the stupid comedy, but Tracy has great one-liners.

Everytime I watch an ep... I really don't get why this is so liked, Everything else is just so uninspired...

Maybe you've been watching Arrested Development instead.

Jack is a pretty good reason to like it. And Dr. Spacemen.

Its broad, its silly and yet it still manages to throw in a lot of clever little lines along the way. Plus who can't love (or at least respect) Tina Fey?

Guys, I believe the joke is going way past you...

Everytime I watch an ep... I really don't get why this is so liked, apart from Barney, of course. Everything else is just so uninspired...

For the record, O_W praised 30 Rock in that same thread.

I started watching this yesterday actually after having seen it discussed in the Arrested Development thread.... After 3 episodes I'm not particularly impressed, a few really funny bits but nothing much as of yet. I'm hoping it will take me a few episodes to get into it...

Objectively, I'm putting this in my top 3 comedies of all time. Although I haven't really decided on a specific order, but I think this just barely loses the top spot in favour of Arrested Development.

Subjectively, it's number one all the way purely because of Tina. I've been in love with her ever since I saw her appear on Conan, eventhough I never saw an episode of SNL. I went to see Mean Girls in the cinema because of her (although I liked the movie actually). I mean, Julia Louis-Dreyfus and to lesser extent Portia de Rossi are pretty hot themselves, but they don't compare to the goddess that is Tina Fey:

I started watching this yesterday actually after having seen it discussed in the Arrested Development thread.... After 3 episodes I'm not particularly impressed, a few really funny bits but nothing much as of yet. I'm hoping it will take me a few episodes to get into it...

The 4th and 5th episodes are pretty solid episodes. They're really what won me around. In fact the fifth has this gem:

(damn piss poor quality)

Guys, I believe the joke is going way past you...

As someone who follows Oxigen Wastes' posts religiously, I can't believe I missed that.

Well it was more about the atmosphere than the witty lines and such. I can imagine it would be pretty difficult to remember the usual sort of lines as well as dealing with being live. It was fun, not clever.

Well it was more about the atmosphere than the witty lines and such. I can imagine it would be pretty difficult to remember the usual sort of lines as well as dealing with being live. It was fun, not clever.

Yeah, but they could've saved a better script for this occasion. It was gimmicky, is what it was.

I'm going for the "they know people would just say "its an SNL skit" and ran with it (hence using the set, actors and the metajokes)" notion.

Ha surprise awesome guest star in the newest episode :D

"You have a good heart Kenneth. I hope one day you get into a car accident so I can have it."

Is the live episode part of a season, or will they market it as a one off to make more monies on DVD sales?