NEurope
Retro_Link

The Dark Knight Rises (Spoilers inside, enter at own risk)

Bullshit! It's not been out for that long. Sorry if some of us weren't tripping over each other fisting a release date ticket.

I think he was joking to be fair.

I would never enter a thread of a film once it's been released until I've seen it myself (unless I have no intention of seeing for a while, like Spider-man).

Speaking of spoilers, when I was walking out of the cinema some girls behind us were talking pretty loudly about the ending - right in front of a massive queue for the next showing.

Haha, that reminds me of the Simpsons episode where Homer spoils Empire Strikes Back :D

Perhaps someone could explain this thing that has puzzled me about the movie:

Why did Bane not free those in Arkham Asylum?

AND WHERE THE FUCK WAS A TRAUMITISED AND PSYCHOLOGICALLY INSANE MR. REESE BECAUSE OF WHAT HAPPENED TO HIM IN THE DARK KNIGHT! WHY DIDN'T HE BECOME THE RIDDLER!!!!?!??!?!?

Maybe they didn't want to refer to Arkham Asylum, because that's where The Joker is supposed to be locked away, and thus Dent Prison took it's place in this film.

Or simply Bane didn't want to release the inmates of Arkham Asylum because it houses a far more dangerous bunch of criminals, powered/super villians (as opposed to just the street thugs in Dent Prison)... who could potentially cause a threat to him and his/their plans for the city.

I assumed Crane was in Arkham? And he was out and about again giving out 'justice'

But on thinking about it I suppose that was never confirmed where he was actually being held, unless I'm wrong?

AND WHERE THE FUCK WAS A TRAUMITISED AND PSYCHOLOGICALLY INSANE MR. REESE BECAUSE OF WHAT HAPPENED TO HIM IN THE DARK KNIGHT! WHY DIDN'T HE BECOME THE RIDDLER!!!!?!??!?!?

woow_got_real.gif

Bruce Wayne saved his life in TDK. The whole Coleman Reese is the Riddler rumours were pants.

The whole Coleman Reese is the Riddler rumours were pants.

Keep saying "Mr. Reese" out load multiple times.

y

Why are people still putting things in Spoiler tags? If anyone is still coming into this thread now they deserve to be spoiled for being idiots.

As for the film, I thought it was terrific. I think the three films have wildly different tones, so I think they're all pretty equal as they show Gotham and Batman in different lights.

I can't see how people can say the Avengers is superior really. The Avengers was a funny film sure, but the action was incredibly dull. I was genuinely thrilled by the action in this, because there was peril, threat, risk... Batman could have died at almost any moment, you never knew when a supporting cast member was gonna be shot or whatever... it was proper, proper action with purpose and stakes. The Avengers was a bunch of CGI laser battles with absolutely no peril because half of the cast already had their sequels greenlight. Absolutely no tension... you know what the outcome will be on the poster.

These films, in my opinion, are totally incomparable.

I agree that they are pretty incomparable but....you say TDKR was more tense and abything could happen....but a main character dies in Avengers and not in this.

Also saying the action was dull in Avengers is a comment I cannot even get my head around. It was amazingly choreographed and well directed. Whereas in TDKR it is jpretty bland.

y

I agree that they are pretty incomparable but....you say TDKR was more tense and abything could happen....but a main character dies in Avengers and not in this.

Also saying the action was dull in Avengers is a comment I cannot even get my head around. It was amazingly choreographed and well directed. Whereas in TDKR it is jpretty bland.

Yes, a non-comic-book, comic relief character gets killed off. It is utterly predictable. The fact that nobody got killed off in the TDKR didn't stop me expecting it to happen. The fact that they survived was more surprising than a minor character getting killed off in the Avengers.

And there is such a thing as being too choreographed. It didn't look like real fighting at all. The aliens weapons were very inconsistent. Sometimes their lasers would blow up a building, sometimes the same laser would just hit Captain America in the stomach and he'd just fall over for a bit. Nothing felt real. It was glitsy and pretty but it wasn't real, you couldn't feel any actual pain or tiredness. It was a bunch of action figures being played with.

I diiiid enjoy the Avengers as an experiment, and the script was funny, but as a film, not as a comic book adaptation or anything but as a FILM... it can't be compared to the Dark Knight Rises. Sorry.

(please bare in mind that I've not enjoyed a single Avengers-universe film. I think Thor is fun only for it's camp space opera-ness. The Avengers was the best of the bunch just because it was something vaguely new)

Yes, a non-comic-book, comic relief character gets killed off. It is utterly predictable. The fact that nobody got killed off in the TDKR didn't stop me expecting it to happen. The fact that they survived was more surprising than a minor character getting killed off in the Avengers.

And there is such a thing as being too choreographed. It didn't look like real fighting at all. The aliens weapons were very inconsistent. Sometimes their lasers would blow up a building, sometimes the same laser would just hit Captain America in the stomach and he'd just fall over for a bit. Nothing felt real. It was glitsy and pretty but it wasn't real, you couldn't feel any actual pain or tiredness. It was a bunch of action figures being played with.

I diiiid enjoy the Avengers as an experiment, and the script was funny, but as a film, not as a comic book adaptation or anything but as a FILM... it can't be compared to the Dark Knight Rises. Sorry.

(please bare in mind that I've not enjoyed a single Avengers-universe film. I think Thor is fun only for it's camp space opera-ness. The Avengers was the best of the bunch just because it was something vaguely new)

In regards to the character in Avengers I guess it depends on the person. While he wasn't a character from the comic books he did become a major supporting character within the films (I even spotted he's now in the new Spiderman cartoon, so wouldn't be surprised if he was added to the comics soon if he's not already there). And a lot of fans grew to like him, myself included and I was shocked when he died as it was so sudden and was unexpected (to me anyway). I nearly choked on my popcorn when it happened.

As for caring about Batman during his fights with Bane, I gotta admit I wasn't ever that concerned..... ok I see most people aren't spoilering things anymore but I like to keep doing so just in case so.....

In their first fight I could tell where it was going given where in the film it was.

I guess it might be different for film goers who don't know what happens in the comics but I expected Bane to fully beat down on Bats in this film. Granted I expected them to have their first proper fight at the end of the film and I actually expected Bane to kill Batman at the end of the film.

When their first fight started and it was only halfway into the film I knew then they were gonna go for Bane breaking Batmans back. Was I concerned about Batmans well being... oddly no... even more oddly I actually enjoyed watching Bane beat the shit out him. Even when he was pounding his face. Was actually at that part I started to think "maybe they won't break his back just beat him to a pulp" and actually then felt a little disappointed we might not see the back breaking.

Then when Bane lifted him up to smash his back across his leg I was actually smiling that they went and took something like that right out of the comics.

This did make the end of the film a bit unexpected in the lead up to the final chase for the bomb. As I said I expected Bane would kill Bats but Bane at that point was gone so was thinking "maybe they won't kill him". But they had been building Blake all film as a guy would take on the Batman mantle, even if they left the reveal for his full name till the end, even without that you knew what he was in the film for. And as such you knew Blake was in no danger of dying either.

But once Talia flooded the reactor room you knew what Batman was gonna do. So while it didn't happen as I expected (with Bane) it seemed like it was still gonna happen. They were gonna kill Batman. Now while my mate with me was near tears at this point I was actually again not caring much about Batman and was just looking forward to seeing Blake take up the mantle :heh:

And then they revealed that he didn't really die and that just (for me) took so much away from the ending. Like they had the balls to actually kill off the title character but then chickened out at the last minute. :nono:

As for a film "seeming real" (as you said with Avengers "nothing seemed real"), a man who starts out as a near cripple and needs some kind of robitic brace to walk/run/fight properly again, then gets the shit kicked out of him and his back broken. Left in a pit with no real medical attention or help. Manages to heal his back on his own and apparently heal every other physical problem he had at the start of the film too in the space of a few months. And then beat down on someone who previously he couldn't even make flinch. That seemed real?

Now I let all that slide myself anyway because it was a film, things like that are always gonna happen.

As for fight choreography, I thought they could have done much better. Espeically the Bats & Bane first fight. While yes Batman was never gonna win it and was meant to be out done. It would have been nice to see him at least start off as being capable of winning (like Bane was toying with him first). And all his moves were the same moves he's been doing all the time. Elbows & Knees. I know he's been "out of the game" for 8 years but you'd think he would have learned some variety to his fighting style.

Again reading that back it sounds like I really hated the film, I didn't I enjoyed it as a film. But it didn't live up to the hype for me. Which I found odd as I had not built up much hype for it as I explained before. While I didn't watch trailers and stuff I still never felt much of a hype for it.

While Avengers was the opposite. Going into that I worried I had over hyped it but came out thinking it lived up to and went beyond the hype I had for it.

Keep saying "Mr. Reese" out load multiple times.

OMG, I actually never spotted that. That is awesome.

Shame they didn't follow through with it (if it was intentional), even if as a secondary villian somehow.

Im glad I dont really care too much about this movie, just came into the thread to see what people were thinking about it and have had some stuff spoiled already.

Alfred was daydreaming, as he usually does in that spot.

yeah but....

... when he describe his "daydream" eariler in the film it was made clear that if he saw someone he thought was Bruce that person would later turn around and he'd know it wasn't Bruce just someone that looked like him.

At the end it was made very clear it was Bruce. Plus there was the other things of the auto pilot having been fixed on "The Bat" without Fox knowing and the Bat signal being fixed before Blake found the cave.

Speaking of spoilers, when I was walking out of the cinema some girls behind us were talking pretty loudly about the ending - right in front of a massive queue for the next showing.

Happened to my mate too, when we got to our seats he left his popcorn down and went to the toilet, inside he overheard some guys who just got out of a previous showing talking about something at the end of the film.

When that thing then happen when we watched it all I could hear from him was "I can't believe I fucking heard this in the toilet"

Alfred was daydreaming, as he usually does in that spot.

- Alfred smiles and goes over to him (as opposed to being dissapointed).

- Selina was there

- Bat signal fixed

- Auto Pilot fixed

- Bruce had given Blake co-ordinates to the Bat Cave

- They couldn't leave Bruce and Alfreds relationship like they had

Good film, decent ending to the whole thing.

Lots of flailing about in the middle. I felt characters were underused.

Something felt off for the entire film but it was still very enjoyable.

It all felt a bit simplistic/obvious in it's story telling but otherwise it has some BEASTLY scenes.

:)

Ending was good but I fycking hated that they called him "Tobin" when he clearly should have been called Dick. The implication would have been enough for tge wider audience to "get" anyway. Just. Bleurgh.
I don't think the general public would have got the reference of the name Dick actually. I bet you the vast majority don't know Robins real name.

I actually liked that they called him Robin.

Plus it sets up the scenario that he's more likely to become Nightwing... because he wouldn't use his actual name as his superhero name. Also Robin is lame.

Also they couldn't have had the woman he's talking to effectively saying...

"I think you should use your real name... I like Dick!" :p

---

The Batcave that he goes to at the end, is that the current Batcave, or was it a new one?... seeing as Wayne Manor is now an orphanage. Though it looked to have the foundations.

Did people take from the ending that:

- Batman has hung up his gloves and Blake is taking over as Batman?

- Or given the Robin name teaser, Bruce is staying on and Blake will be his partner?

I went with the later.

And when Blake walked into the Batcave I assumed he'd gone to meet Batman.

---

We could see Blake taking over and being Batman in the Justice League Movie.

It's a nice little setup they have now for more Batman movies... as JGL could just take over and they wouldn't have to go through the origins story; just that he'd taken over the mantle from Bruce.

Linking Blake to the Justice League film would completely and utterly destroy Nolan's trilogy.

Why? [would it?]

The trilogy can still stand 100% alone.

And using Blake would offer a nice bit of continuity into the Batman 'reboot' and Justice League.

Because one of the great things about the Nolan universe is the complete lack of superpowers.

Because one of the great things about the Nolan universe is the complete lack of superpowers.

Why would you have to make any association with what has gone before?

New Batman... new stories. They can do whatever they want with it.

It's just a nice continuity link, and allows the Batman franchise to move forward without an origins story (given nearly everyone on the planet has seen Nolans Batman and thus doesn't need another origins story).

---

And were you serious about Alfred daydreaming? (which I replied to)

No, I wasn't serious about that.

I still much, much prefer of Nolan's Batman just being three films.

No Blake in Justice League, Bruce or bust. They 100% will not have a JL movie without Bruce Wayne as Batman.

Aren't they planning to reboot Batman now anyway with an eye towards Justice League.

EDIT: ALso given how nobody seems to be spoiler tagging anymore I made an edit to teh title just in case

I've just got back from the cinema and am dying to talk about the film.

I enjoyed it a lot. I think first viewing is always about taking all of the new information in. A film should really be judged on its second viewing. But, I did enjoy it a lot. I LOVED Bane and Catwoman (although I don't think she's ever called that). I found that character to be really interesting, there didn't seem to be an alter ego of Selena Kyle, if that makes sense. She was always being herself. Pulled off the part wonderfully, incredibly sexy as well.

:bouncy::o

Bane was just a monster. I was worried that there would be problems understanding him speak, but it seems like his voice was purposefully made louder to solve that problem. Never had an issue with it, and thought he played the part excellently. Brains and brawn. Pure beast.

The one criticism I do have is the way Bane was killed. Such an excellent villain, and he gets a bit of a shitty death. Saying that, I think the Joker's send-off in The Dark Knight was a bit flat, too. He's just left hanging there. Plus, the Scarecrow in Begins. Hmm, that is one issue in all three films, a small lack of resolution in a character's death.

Loved the ending with Blake, and felt that it sets things up for the future nicely, but in a non-bullshit way. I hate it sometimes when things are explicitly told to the audience for them to understand something, spoonfeeding. I thought Nolan handled this part well, a bit of mystery, but at the same time making it clear about what could happen next.

JGL's Blake was probably my favourite character in the film, tied with Bane.

Overall, loved it. Yes, there are some criticisms in the trilogy, but films are there to be enjoyed, and all three offer something very, very enjoyable, whilst also bringing something different to the "Hero" genre. These films are in a whole different league to what we have seen so far. No comparisons should be made.

Also, no Superman trailer for me. Not sure if I care or not.

Ah sticking with the open spoilers in the thread I see, good to know

I still don't understand why you're coming in this thread ::shrug:

Why should be put things in a spoiler tag when this thread itself is essentially one already? It's up to people to take precautions to avoid spoilers... one of the easiest ways to do that is not enter the threat called "The Dark Knight Rises" after the film's come out.