NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Choze

Lovefilm application heading to PS3

This might be the November surprise PSblog were talking about. Sony always have afew things up their sleeves towards Christmas. It somehow was uploaded to Youtube by Sony, very early...

Capture.png

http://everythingplaystation.com/news/lovefilm-ps3-app-announced

It features streaming much like Netflix. But you can do alot more. You can also rent movies and games via the PS3. The search function is much more fleshed out. Europe wins again :p iTV is this year too right? 4oD also has been talked about alot. Would be nicer than using Youtube.

Currently I have been using the web browser but its never going to be as nice as this app and you cant view the streaming movies.

Edited by Choze

erm...you can manage your netflix queues from a 360 I thought? I've heard them talking about it on podcasts anyhow...also neither itv or 4oD have confirmed dates yet

Oui you can. Netflix is not quite ad fleshed out. But let's wait to try this in person. I hope it's as nice ad the video.

I am certain you cannot rent games through this.

I already do. I use the mixed games and movies package.

Yeah, so do I. I mean through the app. I misread what you wrote.

The current streaming is shit. I hope this is better. The quality sucks and the selection is pretty dire. Still, nice option.

Video been removed :/

Do hope we do see ITV Player, 4od and Demand Five on the PS3. Demand Five already works through the browser so I'm surprised a shortcut hasn't already been added.

Saw an advert for this last night. Had it on mute so I didn't hear what it said, but it showed a PS3 controller..

Video been removed :/

Do hope we do see ITV Player, 4od and Demand Five on the PS3. Demand Five already works through the browser so I'm surprised a shortcut hasn't already been added.

iTV player is confirmed for this year too. 4oD and Sky Player are coming but no date. Demand Five no idea. Did not know it even worked on PS3. Must check it out. Someone should do a web apps/ internet browser media info update soon.

Confirmed now. Great news for UK Lovefilm users. :grin:

http://www.lovefilm.com

You need a £5.99 package upwards for streaming video support.

those with no Lovefilm will have free trials. For people who have never used Lovefilm before. Make sure to sign up to games as well as DVD/BluRay.

Edited by Choze

Confirmed now. Great news for UK Lovefilm users. :grin:

http://www.lovefilm.com

You need a £5.99 package upwards for streaming video support.

those with no Lovefilm will have free trials. For people who have never used Lovefilm before. Make sure to sign up to games as well as DVD/BluRay.

I'll try out the free trial sure...is the streaming like it is now though limited to 2 hours on the simpler packages because if thats so whats the point. I've got an offer leaflet for 30 days free trial waiting to be used at some point...

*Sigh* the only thing I have left justifying my 360 purchase now is crackdown and to some extent gears. Everything else I play can be found elsewhere in some shape or form.

well it launches today:

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2010/11/10/lovefilm-is-available-on-playstation-3-today/

apparently the streaming is all part of the same packages available as the regular internet player so that means the cheapest way to get unlimited streaming is £9.99 or £10.99 with games rental. The other cheaper packages are capped at 2 hours or 4 hours. Also the cheapest £5.99 game rental package does not include streaming!

There is a free 30 day trial to be had which is worth trying out I guess!

Sweet. I have the most expensive package (3 disks, as many swaps as I want + games). I'll give it a go later.

I'm confused.

So if you have the most expensive subscription you have to pay to stream most films through the website, but it's free if you have a PS3?

It's the same as on the PC. The selection of free films isn't amazing but it's hardly bad.

Just on the first page is:

Let The Right One In

Oldboy

The Machinist

Infernal Affairs

Lord of War

The Mist

Mesrine (Part 1 & 2) - Fuck yeah!

Ring

Collateral

There's more on just the first page (of 83, 4,144 titles in all) but can't be arsed to list them.

Basically, it's quite an ace selection tbh.

Edit: Now to test the quality and buffering stuff with 'I Am Legend'.

It's buffer Hell atm. I suspect it's the servers being hammered, though. Maybe I should pick a less popular film. Also can't use the XMB in the app which is lame.

Let it buffer a bit and it's all smooth now. The quality is surprisingly good. But then I was expecting it to look like arse.

Edit 2: The buffering is arse. If it's not just first day server issues it'll be unusable. They should just let you download the thing like when you rent from the PSN Store.

Edited by Daft

I was just about to post that it is pretty good, until it crashed twice in the same place on V for Vendetta, the second time crashing my PS3 completely.

Yeah, it's a bit of a mess. Crashed on me twice.

When it works it's nice, though. :indeed:

Interested in this but just wanted to say, based on the last two posts, that the Mesrine films are cack and V for Vendetta is comically bad :D

I reserve judgement for myself and V for Vendetta has on redeeming scene - Valerie's letter. Really well done.

I'll tell you if it gets any better. If not, I'd save it until they update it or something. I'm sure they'll sort it out...maybe...

Interested in this but just wanted to say, based on the last two posts, that the Mesrine films are cack and V for Vendetta is comically bad :D

I have the Mesrine films on Blur Ray and they are amazing. As long as you like reading subtitles over a foreign language.

I reserve judgement for myself and V for Vendetta has on redeeming scene - Valerie's letter. Really well done.

Aye- superb bit of film that. Shame about the rest.

Well, I decided I wanted to see that scene and it worked flawlessly. It's like living in the future. If every film streams as well as V just did then brilliant. My PS3 really does do everything.

Games. BluRays. Streaming (LoveFilm/iPlayer/Mubi). Music (If only they would just add Spotify).

And to think, when the PS3 first launched all it could do was play BluRays and a handful of mostly crap games.

Sign in to follow this