NEurope
Raining_again

Flu vaccine!!

Are you getting eet?

Do you agree with it?

I got my flu + swine flu last year. And I've just come from the docs where he gave me the flu vacc. Yay.

In the past year I've had very few colds, which is excellent! But my arm hurts, which is not so excellent... :(

I wouldn't get any <insert animal> flu vaccines again because I had the swine flu vacc last year (twice) which made me VERY sick, and has caused what is potentially very serious health problems (bowel disease/crohns)

I probably should get the jab soon, don't fancy a flu making my asthma any worse then it is.

I know nothing about it but I won't get one. I just don't feel I need it. It's probably a good idea for older people or maybe young kids or anyone else who would be more susceptible to getting flu, but I think I'm ok without it.

I don't like taking medication either, my stepmum and stepsister are always taking things for headaches and colds but this is like every other week. I think they just get a sniffle and think they'll take a pill to prevent a cold or something but the amount they take I doubt it does anything for them anymore (they're not addicts or anything :p).

I just feel that if I hold off taking a pill or something when I'm sick and I get over it on my own, it'll improve my immune system. Then if I ever get sick enough that I do need to take something, it'll work that much better. Not sure if the science actually backs up my thoughts in any significant way but there we go.

Flu Vaccines are a government plot to...do something.

/conspiracy theorist

I've never had one and don't plan to start anytime soon.

I know nothing about it but I won't get one. I just don't feel I need it. It's probably a good idea for older people or maybe young kids or anyone else who would be more susceptible to getting flu, but I think I'm ok without it.

Well I don't think everyone is entitled to it on the NHS.. I get it because i'm on a bucket load of drugs

Don't need one, if I get the flu I'll sweat it out for a week. I'd rather someone who needed it, vunerable or elderly etc had it.

I don't do needles. Every year they say "Joe, get a flu vaccine", just because I have severe asthma.

Fuck that

Vaccines are excellent conspiracy theorist/paranoianorak material. THE CURE IS THE DISEASE?! WHAT THE HELL!!

I don't have any flu jabs because I'm SO MANLY that I belive my body can endure any illness. Also I'm scared of needles.

I don't want a flu jab. I want flu, so I can be off work and play xbox all day.

No thanks, if I do get it I'll just have a lemsip and wait a few days.

Don't like taking medience/jabs etc unless I really need them.

I can believe quite a few of you are scared of/don't like needles...

Wusses :heh:

The flu jab actually helps your body stave off colds too.. its not bad for your body at all because all of the "bacteria" in the vaccine is dead, its just stimulating an immune response. I can't have live vaccines, and have several immune diseases so I'm pretty sure the flu vaccine wouldn't be given to me if there was any risk. I have my regrets getting the swine flu vaccine, but I'd probably do the same if I had the chance to go back.

I've had one minor cold since getting the flu vaccine last year (which went away very quickly) compared to at least 4 major colds the year before

I can believe quite a few of you are scared of/don't like needles...

Wusses :heh:

The flu jab actually helps your body stave off colds too.. its not bad for your body at all because all of the "bacteria" in the vaccine is dead, its just stimulating an immune response. I can't have live vaccines, and have several immune diseases so I'm pretty sure the flu vaccine wouldn't be given to me if there was any risk. I have my regrets getting the swine flu vaccine, but I'd probably do the same if I had the chance to go back.

I've had one minor cold since getting the flu vaccine last year (which went away very quickly) compared to at least 4 major colds the year before

Easy. The one time I had a flu jab, it made me worse and fucked with my asthma more than not having it. Therefore, logically, I will go without

Never gotten one, and so far so good...My health is pretty good, so don't see any need. I usually get about one minor flu per year, and that's it...Exercise + mental relaxation + healthy food = teh win.

meh I'm meant as due to asthma I am technically more likely to suffer and despite a genuine fear (rightly or wrongly) of swine flu and such like I've never once been during my adult life.

We got this in my school. Easy peasy.

People somehow think that they are smarter than several years of medical research just because they got a little sick after a vaccine. Or think home remedies can cure diseases better than modern medicine. I disagree strongly with these people.

People somehow think that they are smarter than several years of medical research just because they got a little sick after a vaccine. Or think home remedies can cure diseases better than modern medicine. I disagree strongly with these people.

Or more likely that a healthy person in the prime of their life with no immune system problems will be able to fight off the disease with relative ease. Therefore making the jab superfluous.

Or more likely that a healthy person in the prime of their life with no immune system problems will be able to fight off the disease with relative ease. Therefore making the jab superfluous.

actually it can make people with an active immune system sick too, because your immune system goes into overdrive and attacks itself, and good cells - that's why the swine flu killed a lot of people outside of the expected group. Whereas the vaccine won't do that at all

Indeed...

Modern medicine is great, that's for sure...however, seems that people are sometimes depending on it a bit too much. I mean everyone has an immune system, the functioning of which can normally be affected with very simple methods, like diet and exercise...Thus a flu vaccine sounds a bit overkill for me, a quick fix for something you could very well prevent on your own...

Diet and exercise don't prevent the flu. It's a virus.

These are swine flu vaccinations, made specifically because the virus is considered dangerous and has killed very healthy people with very healthy immune systems.

These are swine flu vaccinations, made specifically because the virus is considered dangerous and has killed very healthy people with very healthy immune systems.

That's incorrect. The only deaths attributed to swine flu were in those who had severe pre-existing respiratory and circulatory issues, elderly and there were a couple of cases of pregnant women dying due to it.

Indeed...

Modern medicine is great, that's for sure...however, seems that people are sometimes depending on it a bit too much. I mean everyone has an immune system, the functioning of which can normally be affected with very simple methods, like diet and exercise...Thus a flu vaccine sounds a bit overkill for me, a quick fix for something you could very well prevent on your own...

There is also the fact that all cleaning supplies kill 99.9% of all bacteria and people aim for completely immaculate sterile houses which prevent the body from building up immunities.

Edited by Serebii
Automerged Doublepost

United States Infected:115431 Killed:10837 Death percentage:9.39% Chance of death:1 in 11

More than a couple just in the US.

You can use statistics to prove anything you wish. Please, don't insult my intelligence. Governments use statistics like that all the time.

How many of those deaths were elderly? Had pre-existing conditions?

Well a quick Google search says that at least one healthy person died in the UK.

A patient in Essex has become the first person in the UK without underlying health problems to die of swine flu.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/8145389.stm

As well as this:

He added: "As the virus moves through the community you'll get some people who have no symptoms, some who have mild symptoms, some who get very ill and some who die, including those without any underlying health problems."

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=95266&page=2

Yeah, I was talking about regular flu, not the swine kind...though I did not get that vaccine either.