NEurope
Daft

Superman: Man of Steel (June 2013)

I'm not saying I don't want action, even a lot of action, doesn't mean there can't be a bit too much.

I'm with you on this one. I was expetcing great things from this considering the team that's behind it, this bad reception it's getting is scaring me away, especially the "generic blockbuster territory" consensus on Rotten Tomatoes... I expected the exact opposite. Also, it's down to a 57% now.

I have to admit, I'm starting to get a little worried from the scores...

The consensus seems to be that it's too long. Hmm. We'll soon see.

I have to admit, I'm starting to get a little worried from the scores...

The consensus seems to be that it's too long. Hmm. We'll soon see.

Are you gonna get to go and see it tomorrow after the illness dealie? I'm gonna start avoiding this thread from tomorrow methinks! Gutted I can't see it :(

Are you gonna get to go and see it tomorrow after the illness dealie? I'm gonna start avoiding this thread from tomorrow methinks! Gutted I can't see it :(

I'm seeing it Saturday, so I've got an extra day to recover.

But, I still worry that I'll suddenly start feeling extra worse on Saturday. Especially if the film is quite long...

We'll see. I'm nervous as hell about it now, too. Come down to Bournemouth brah and I'll go and see eet with you.

Going to see this on Tuesday methinks.

I don't care what the reviewers say, they are probably wrong. As long as it's better than Returns (Superman obvs, not Batman), i'll be satisfied.

Apparently there is an after credits scene in some cinemas but not all which seems weird

Well I'm here now anyway :D film starts in 30 mins or so, I'll let you know my opinion in a few hours....

Edit: well I thought it was awesome :D

Edited by Shorty

I shit you fucking not I was sitting in the cinema and the trailers had just finished when my phone rang (on silent), my sister had only gone into labour so I had leave to look after my 3 year old niece. Got a refund and tickets booked for Monday...lol my sister gave birth a little while ago.

If ever something needed to be turned into a 'turn off phones in the cinema' ad, that is it.

Congratulations!

Spoiler-free feedback...

If I didn't know the characters already, I might've felt more negative towards the film. There wasn't a lot of character depth or development, but that didn't really bother me because I felt like I know these characters already. We got to see a little of everyone's motives but that was about it.

There was very little comedy, and in a sense the film was more of an alien action movie than a Superhero movie.

Those are really my only criticisms. It is absolutely visually stunning, one of the best looking films I have ever, ever seen. Superman fans will be very happy with what they finally get to see in film, not just in terms of Superman and his abilities brought to life but in nods to the comic books. Cavill was a fantastic Superman, he had the presence Routh never did and totally brought the character to life.

There was a whole tonne of action, after what was starting to feel like a draught of it (it's practically split in two down the middle) but it never particularly felt excessive or that it went on too long. Explosions rarely felt forced in for the sake of it and the choreography of the fighting was top notch. On the whole it was just really entertaining and felt very well made.

The way the final fight ended... that's is going to bug a few people I think. It was Ra's Al Ghul all over again, worse even. There were other options, I could see a way to save those people. Just like I could see a way to save Jonathan. And then Superman cried out like he had never wanted to kill anyone, but that wasn't a character aspect they had even explored (a la the filling in the blanks I mentioned). Loved Zod's acting though, the way you almost felt for the villain at the end, Zod had the most fleshed out character of the lot perhaps.

I spotted the Lexcorp lorry but apparently there was also a Waynetech logo on the satellite :D

I really liked the way it ended, with Martha asking Clark what he would do next. Guess we called that :p But the way he described it, keeping his ear to the ground etc, was straight out of the comics. Reminded me of Birthright/Year One.

Which reminds me, I also love what they changed with Clark/Lois. Lois being this top notch reporter who couldn't put 2 and 2 together was always a weak plot point, having her track him down from the start was a much cooler way to do it.

Other great things:

Powers, heat vision particularly, looked great. Faera's super speed looked amazing, x-ray vision also looked cool

Exploring Clark's backstory through flashbacks, they were well placed and kept the story moving

The outfit, the visuals, Laurence Fishburne

too tired to post more, look forward to hearing other peoples' opinions!

Edited by Shorty

It is absolutely visually stunning, one of the best looking films I have ever, ever seen.

Well, it is Snyder.

Spoiler-free feedback...

If I didn't know the characters already, I might've felt more negative towards the film. There wasn't a lot of character depth or development, but that didn't really bother me because I felt like I know these characters already. We got to see a little of everyone's motives but that was about it.

There was very little comedy, and in a sense the film was more of an alien action movie than a Superhero movie.

Those are really my only criticisms. It is absolutely visually stunning, one of the best looking films I have ever, ever seen. Superman fans will be very happy with what they finally get to see in film, not just in terms of Superman and his abilities brought to life but in nods to the comic books. Cavill was a fantastic Superman, he had the presence Routh never did and totally brought the character to life.

There was a whole tonne of action, after what was starting to feel like a draught of it (it's practically split in two down the middle) but it never particularly felt excessive or that it went on too long. Explosions rarely felt forced in for the sake of it and the choreography of the fighting was top notch. On the whole it was just really entertaining and felt very well made.

The way the final fight ended... that's is going to bug a few people I think. It was Ra's Al Ghul all over again, worse even. There were other options, I could see a way to save those people. Just like I could see a way to save Jonathan. And then Superman cried out like he had never wanted to kill anyone, but that wasn't a character aspect they had even explored (a la the filling in the blanks I mentioned). Loved Zod's acting though, the way you almost felt for the villain at the end, Zod had the most fleshed out character of the lot perhaps.

I spotted the Lexcorp lorry but apparently there was also a Waynetech logo on the satellite :D

I really liked the way it ended, with Martha asking Clark what he would do next. Guess we called that :p But the way he described it, keeping his ear to the ground etc, was straight out of the comics. Reminded me of Birthright/Year One.

Which reminds me, I also love what they changed with Clark/Lois. Lois being this top notch reporter who couldn't put 2 and 2 together was always a weak plot point, having her track him down from the start was a much cooler way to do it.

Other great things:

Powers, heat vision particularly, looked great. Faera's super speed looked amazing, x-ray vision also looked cool

Exploring Clark's backstory through flashbacks, they were well placed and kept the story moving

The outfit, the visuals, Laurence Fishburne

too tired to post more, look forward to hearing other peoples' opinions!

See I'm all for that! Different and unique amongst this this current crop of superhero movies.

Pretty much totally agree with Shorty.

I went with three other people, mostly all massive comic book fans. Two of us really liked it and two of us didn't like it at all. I found the two who didn't like it, reason's a bit stupid/invalid though, for example, like Shorty says, he enjoyed

That Lois isn't a fucking spastic and she can see who Clark Kent is or whatever

And he said that was a negative - but I've always pretty much greatly disliked Superman, never read anything I've enjoyed where he is the focus, thought Retuns was absolute gash etc.

But I thought this was at times pretty incredible. Really really really liked;

-Zod. Acting wise, character wise, motivation wise, I thought he was an absolutely stellar villain.

-LONG action sequences! YES! And this is being put as another negative by some people, which is fucking crazy. "Its too long", fuck no it aint! I'll happily watch a two and half hour version of a movie if they have fucking long action scenes like this.

- Superman was done right.

- Cavill was decent, really liked him as Supes.

- Its quite a silly idea, so I'm glad they didn't waste time justifying stuff. E.g. its just like "Heres the costume! Bam"

- Liked the quite unusual dad-death-motivation thing. That he could have saved him, but his dad blah blah blah. Really cemented his later seclusion in life loner personality.

- Everytime the evil sexy Russian Kryptonian came on, I straight up had to stop myself from masturbating.

- The fights were perfect basically. Aerial combat and such was brilliantly designed/choreographed.*

- As mentioned above - I'm angry at the negative comments of no/little comedy. Why does every film have to be funny? Ridiculous. Tone was fine and I think it worked fine.

Negatives;

- It wasn't very Snyder-y. I guess he might have reined it in a little. Too much shaky cam, and video game style snap zoom.

- Disappointing to see no strong link to GL or even The Dark Knight Trilogy. I don't mind if the Nolanverse isn't part of the DC Cinematic U, but it seems a bit strange not to now that TDKR took the faint-plausibility of it and threw it out the window. Feels very much that DC don't know how they are going to build towards Justice League, unless they just...do it...but then its a HUGE wasted opportunity.

*There were a lot of moments when I thought, "Yes. This is how Invincible should look" as a movie.

I'm glad its not in the same universe as TDK trilogy. Did you see some of the easter eggs some people keep mentioning?

The Wayne Enterpises logo?

I've just got back and put the kettle on from having seen this film.

I breathed a massive fucking sigh of relief, it is not a 55% film. It's brilliant and I loved it. It's not perfect by any means and there are one or two things that I think prevent it from being so, but there are also some truly exceptional moments.

- Oh my God, that introduction was sublime. I was expecting something 2 or 3 minutes long. What we got surpassed EVERY expectation that I had. I just...I could have done with a whole extra hour of that content. The way it was filmed, the acting, the dialogue, it was superb.

- Every scene with Kevin Costner or Russel Crowe. I was tearful with Costner's scenes, particularly the one where Clark talks about just being a normal boy, where Costner reveals how Clark came to Earth.

- General Zod...they got him spot on. A patriot, a leader, a maniac, a tyrant, a warrior. All rolled into one. I'm so relieved that the film wasn't let down by a weak villain. What we got was somebody who was more than a match for Superman.

- The portrayal of Clark, particularly how they filmed the "flash-back" sequences, skipping from boy Clark to young man Clark and so on. It was really well filmed and it hit the right emotional notes. I loved how they portrayed Clark's sense of isolation.

- Lois Lane. Possibly one of the biggest triumphs of the film. She isn't some bumbling idiot. In fact, she's rather intelligent and one hell of a reporter.

- It's part super-hero story, and part alien. In fact, it's mostly alien. An alien who has come to Earth and is trying to be a part of it. :)

- The first half of the film, prior to Zod taking Superman and Lois into space. Pacing was great, good acting and dialogue.

- The only thing I can really say is that the pacing of the film suffered somewhat towards the final third. When the "action" truly started with Zod, it just went a bit flat. The film lost part of its emotional identity and the action (whilst looking spectacular), almost served as just visual eye candy. It didn't really have much of an effect on any of the alien characters.

- A few too many of the action scenes. What would have been better would have been to have less, to stop the pace of the film from stagnating.

That's literally the only criticism I have for it. It might "annoy" me less on repeated viewings. The positives far outweigh the negatives. :)

ARRRRGH YOU MOTHER FUDGERS.

Damn my sister for going into labour yesterday. Gotta say though my new niece is cute as hell and has the chunkiest cheeks ever.

Monday baby.

ARRRRGH YOU MOTHER FUDGERS.

Damn my sister for going into labour yesterday. Gotta say though my new niece is cute as hell and has the chunkiest cheeks ever.

Monday baby.

I thought you said it was a Friday baby?

I thought you said it was a Friday baby?

It was a Friday baby. I still thought it was Saturday when I posted that.

8:45, BFI IMAX, Sunday.

Ah man. I could have tagged along :heh: Assumed you'd see it Friday.

If you want to see it again let me know!

Hi.

I enjoyed it.

Bit too "Transformers I can't see anything ah this is ridiculous" in the end, but then there was like no action for the middle of the film so I guess it balances out.

I liked bits. Others were fine. It didn't blow me away. I like Amy Adams but she felt a bit random? I feel like Lois should have been more of a likeable character. Yes for her portrayal as a female comic book character though. Well done for very little damsel in distress/pointless sexualisation etc blah

The best bit is when he comes out of the water in just a pair of torn trousers, full beard and THAT body. My boyfriend and I were squeezing each others hands so tight, uncontainable boners etc. Strangely I didn't find him particularly sexy once he'd shaved/got the suit. BEARDSUPERMAN 4 lyf.

I liked that they gave Nayareorororroa her time in the light.

I liked the portrayal/focus the film gave on psychological weakness/strength, that felt like a good route to take.

*shrug*

And he said that was a negative - but I've always pretty much greatly disliked Superman, never read anything I've enjoyed where he is the focus, thought Retuns was absolute gash etc.

But it was. :blank: