NEurope
Daft

Superman: Man of Steel (June 2013)

I famously love Superman Returns and don't understand why people hate it. I could understand people being like "Huh/" in regards to it, but it has such a joke feel to it, it feels really solid and lol all round. I love Parker Posey. And Lex Luthor's evil real estate plan. Lois' dramatic smoking sub-plot (Actually lol'ing).

You can tell Bryan Singer was just being Miley.

I loved it. Just loved it. My god, Faora - she was terrifying and perfect.

Also, pretty sure no one survived Metropolis.

I watched this on sunday morning.

My word was it awesome!

Below is my thoughts on the film in no particular order! Just brain stormed it down!!

I liked the change on Lane, how she worked out who he was from the start and there relationship bonded around that, it 'made sense', considering she is meant to be this great reporter but how she chooses to keep it secret because of what he tells her.

I LOVED how they showed how strong he actually is, skyscrapers were literally falling all over the place when Superman & Zod were fighting but at the same time how new things were to Superman, nothing he did was precise strength wise like catching a bullet, it was a little messey. But it is new to time being able to use all his strength like this.

Loved the scene where he starts punching the shit out of Zod when he threatened Martha!!!

I thought Zod was a great villain that you could see where he was coming from, he wasn't just randomly crazy or out to get revenge, he was just trying to save his race from his perspective.

I like how, in a little way they explained how he could fly, with the whole different gravity thing.

And even though green kriptonite wasn't in it, they showed it's effects when he was aboard Zod's ship and even get a 'science' reason for that as well.

I noticed the 'lex corp' on the truck which made me smile but I missed the Wayne Enterprise logo on the satellite! Didn't read about that till after woods.

I can almost see how Lex could play into this now in a sequel, after the events of this time he could start collecting remains of the ship etc a bit behind the scenes at first, maybe even kind green kriptonite for himself, wanting the power superman has etc etc.

They made everything feel very 'real' even though it had aliens etc.

Was shocked that he snapped Zods neck! Wasn't expecting that one.

I totally called the last scene being him become Clark can't though! Haha. That really made sense though, because 'Clark Kent' has always been his disguise etc.

I liked how we spent time on Krypton first, was very 'alien'.

Little confused as to how the costume was on the ship though? That has meant to have been in the ice for a very long time!! Appears there is no FOS this time around as well, as the ship is gone! Unless I missed something?

Product placement... The Nikon one with Louis in the ship made me laugh, was so obvious!!

I'm about to cry, some thing has come up and I cant go until Tuesday.

Yeah Metropolis was absolutely trashed!... like utterly destroyed!... Ridiculously so!! Good luck rebuilding that one!

I thought it was really good, not amazing, but really enjoyed it.

The last 40 minutes or so, especially the last 20 were incredible.

I'm glad I watched Smallville and know a bit about Superman etc... though as yeah everything happened a bit too quickly and convieniently/stupidly at times to get everything done.

Cavill was perfect. Amy Adams a bit meh. Clarkes birth mother was terrible, Earth mother was great!

Zod got better as the film went on, the villains were all really well done though.

I didn't understand how Zod could breath on Earth when his mask was destroyed?... yet Faora had to be taken back inside the ship.

Effects were a bit hit and miss I though. The ships didn't really blend into the scenes well. But when they really mattered like the fight scenes and flight scenes they were great!

Worth going to see! :)

Edited by Shorty

Little confused as to how the costume was on the ship though? That has meant to have been in the ice for a very long time!!

This confused me too. It was there long before he was.

@Retro_Link spoiler tagged you up yo, lets keep it under tags for now since we've had some dedicated trailer-avoiders in here.

The suit was probably just a ceremonial suit that they had on the ship, or maybe the ship made it on the spot? They're clearly advanced enough.

Nobody had trouble breathing, Zod and Faera were reacting to their superpowers, their senses (x-ray vision, super hearing). Zod acclimatised better, hence the "I've spent years honing my senses" etc.

@Retro_Link spoiler tagged you up yo, lets keep it under tags for now since we've had some dedicated trailer-avoiders in here.

The suit was probably just a ceremonial suit that they had on the ship, or maybe the ship made it on the spot? They're clearly advanced enough.

Nobody had trouble breathing, Zod and Faera were reacting to their superpowers, their senses (x-ray vision, super hearing). Zod acclimatised better, hence the "I've spent years honing my senses" etc.

I got the senses overload thing... but surely that's why they were wearing breathing apparatus?... Which they then roll-reversed and gave to Lois when she was in their atmosphere on the ship.

Cavill was perfect. Amy Adams a bit meh. Clarkes birth mother was terrible, Earth mother was great!

Zod got better as the film went on, the villains were all really well done though.

I thought Kal's Krypto mum was awesome.

Faora >>>>>>>> Zod

I thought she lacked quite a bit of emotion. It annoyed me she didn't scream or anything when Jor El gets stabbed, just stood there, then eventually ran over. And I thought she'd make more of a fuss about Clarke too, she just seemed a bit meh to everything going on.

However, she was almost a different character when they were sentencing Zod and when the planet was exploding. I thought she was great then.

She was pretty possessive over Kal.

I liked that she didn't dissolve into an jibbering mess of tears when Jor-El died. She's just sent her only child to an alien world, her husband has been stabbed/killed, she's be betrayed by Krypton's high counsel and her home world is about to crack itself in two (leading her to a death she readily accepts) - crying would have been weak sauce from an eminent scientist like Lara-El. I loved her presence - it's only a shame her consciousness wasn't copied along with Jor-El's.

...also, she was smoking hot.

I got the senses overload thing... but surely that's why they were wearing breathing apparatus?... Which they then roll-reversed and gave to Lois when she was in their atmosphere on the ship.

What about this bit?

I really liked how Lara was done too. Lovely bit of focus on a character who is really VERY important to Superman's existence (!) but never really gets any attention, in favour of Jor-El.

Just saw it a second time, this time in 2D. It's one of those films that is even more enjoyable when you are aware of the pacing. The build up to the Smallville battle and just everything clicks. This is my second favourite comic book movie, The Dark Knight being my favourite...but only because of Heath Ledger.

Seriously, if Nolan's name was under the director's credit, I bet this would be getting unanimously glowing reviews. It's way better than that piece of crap Rises (bar some absolutely sublime and exceptional scenes).

Just saw it a second time, this time in 2D. It's one of those films that is even more enjoyable when you are aware of the pacing. The build up to the Smallville battle and just everything clicks. This is my second favourite comic book movie, The Dark Knight being my favourite...but only because of Heath Ledger.

Seriously, if Nolan's name was under the director's credit, I bet this would be getting unanimously glowing reviews. It's way better than that piece of crap Rises (bar some absolutely sublime and exceptional scenes).

I'm temptedings to see this a second time.

Genuinely surprised that @Retro_Link prefers the second half of the film to the first. The first half/2 thirds is spectacular. Not gonna lie brahs, there were one or two tears shed. *wishes Kevin Costner was his dad, hu hu hu*

Rises was so poor as a whole. It's made out of brilliant pieces. Also, that film is loud...like rape alarm loud.

Rises was so poor as a whole. It's made out of brilliant pieces. Also, that film is loud...like rape alarm loud.

I liked that. :D It made the film feel a bit more visceral.

I loved Rises. It's got much, much more in common with Batman Begins than it does The Dark Knight. If you watch all three back to back or even just Begins and Rises back to back, it makes sense what they tried to do. (even some of the dialogue is lifted from Begins - "Theatricality and Deception are powerful agents to the uninitiated" "do what is necessary", even the whole notion of Blake becoming the "next hero" despite not being trained by the league of shadows because "your training is nothing, your will is everything - the will to act." I seriously love it.

I really like it, although my opinion changes daily over which Batman film I prefer the most. At the moment it's Rises and tomorrow it will be The Dark Knight and so on.

Anyway, very tempted to see this again, even just for the introduction on Krypton. :D

Edited by Fierce_LiNk

I completely forgot how fucking awesome the first 20 minutes are. Talk about opening with a bang.

I completely forgot how fucking awesome the first 20 minutes are. Talk about opening with a bang.

I could easily have watched an entire film about that. It's fantastic and it gives so much more depth to Zod beforehand. But, not only that, the way it was filmed and the look of the place. It's beautiful.

A thousand times yes. I'd throw money at a film about Krypton at the height of its power, when they started sending out the seed ships. Hell, make it a TV show like Battlestar Galactica.

Went to see it in the imax yesterday. Absolutely amazing! Film of the year for me!!

Genuinely surprised that @Retro_Link prefers the second half of the film to the first. The first half/2 thirds is spectacular. Not gonna lie brahs, there were one or two tears shed. *wishes Kevin Costner was his dad, hu hu hu*

I didn't really mean it like that at all. Just that the ending was a spectacular! The whole film was good.

@Fierce_LiNk If you haven't watched Superman TAS check it out, I think Krypton in MoS borrowed more than a little direction from the opening episode of that series.