NEurope
Daft

Superman: Man of Steel (June 2013)

I think superhero movies have been getting better at the super powered fights over the years but a lot still feel a bit too normal. Spider-Man Vs Doc Ock on top of the subway train in Spider-Man 2 for me was pretty amazing, feeling like a fight you would expect to see those characters have in the comics.

Im glad theyve got Zod in the movie so we have a chance of a proper fight. I just hope it doesnt end up devolving into a brawl. We need flying, heat vision, throwing characters into things etc.

Yeah Zod is definately a great choice to give us all those moments we've been waiting for.

Honestly if Smallville can put on a pretty decent showing in terms of end of season battles, this film really should be able to get it right.

I don't actually think Zod is a great choice, just that I'm glad there's a proper super powered villain. Personally I would have prefered someone who hasn't been seen in a movie yet like Brainiac.

I don't actually think Zod is a great choice, just that I'm glad there's a proper super powered villain. Personally I would have prefered someone who hasn't been seen in a movie yet like Brainiac.

You can't put Brainiac in a film. You can't even say Brainiac in a film. The name is just too damn stupid.

I think Superman has probably the worst rogues gallery in comics.

From my relatively limited knowledge, no one know how to write a good Lex Luthor. Except maybe Geoff Johns in Superboy.

You can't put Brainiac in a film. You can't even say Brainiac in a film. The name is just too damn stupid.

Mmm, because a stupid name stopped Batman.

They're worlds apart in terms of stupidity. It's all about how dumb it sounds out loud. They often say "the Batman", "the so-called Batman", "you don't really believe in this 'Batman', do you?". They word it cleverly, make it sound like a myth, a title the media invented. Also it's clearly a moniker, a title for a man in a suit, not a name.

Try saying "Brainiac" out loud in a movie setting and you can't take it seriously. They did it in Smallville, they tried to say he was the "BRAIN Interactive Construct", and then shortened it. They had a little laugh at the name, then started using it. It just sounded stupid. Same problem with Metallo and Bizarro.

I just don't think it sounds stupid. And it's definitely not as stupid sounding as a hell of a lot of other names like 'Silver Surfer', 'Captain America', 'Red Skull', 'Ant Man', 'Zod', 'Doomsday' to name but a few.

In fact, now I think of it, most names in comics sound utterly special. I'd hardly single out Braniac. And whatever the case, if the character is handled well, the name won't matter.

Couldn't they just use his real name anyway? Like what they did in Iron Man (I don't think they used the villain's "supervillain" name in that)?

Brainiac is his real name. He's a robot so any other name hes gone under has just been when in disguise.

Couldn't they just use his real name anyway? Like what they did in Iron Man (I don't think they used the villain's "supervillain" name in that)?
Well, that's what they tried to do in Smallville. They gave him a human disguise and referred to him as Milton Fine, wherever possible. The standard comicbook alien has no alter-ego, though.
I just don't think it sounds stupid. And it's definitely not as stupid sounding as a hell of a lot of other names like 'Silver Surfer', 'Captain America', 'Red Skull', 'Ant Man', 'Zod', 'Doomsday' to name but a few.

Silver Surfer sounded stupid. I don't remember them ever saying "Red Skull" but they got away with the names in Cap A because it was set at wartime, and he was created as a larger-than life propaganda piece. Similarly the names in Spider-Man were created as a joke by Jonah Jameson. He wanted crazy supervillain names to make headlines. It worked perfectly. Zod is always prefaced with 'General', to bring it down to Earth and Doomsday is not that bad a name.

I see your point, but I still think there are some villains you can get away with on the silver screen, and some you can't. It's the reason Venom and Sandman felt so out of place to me in the Spidey trilogy.

I quickly Googled it and it came up with Vril Dox...although that seems to be the second one. I'm guessing comic book fans would go crazy if they used that name for the first one.

What on earth is going on in Superman's underpants? It looks like a face trying to push it's way out of his crotch.

What on earth is going on in Superman's underpants? It looks like a face trying to push it's way out of his crotch.

That's probably his little "super friend" :D

Also does his costume have abs?

That's probably his little "super friend" :D

Also does his costume have abs?

The costume has abs, but I don't think they're actually meant to be built into the costume in its fictional existence, if you get me.

Even Spidey had muscles painted onto his costume as an easy way to make the character look more powerful.

There will probably be a leaked trailer for this from Comic-Con this weekend, but I'm going to try and avoid it since it's becoming more and more likely there'll be one ahead of Dark Knight Rises! Less than one week away :D

Edited by Shorty

I'm excited. Please be good. As awesome as the Marvel-verse is, it's become a little cookie-cutter (obviously when it comes to Thor, he rocks in whatever).

I'm really pissed that they didn't have this trailer before TDKR where I went. I was confident a big early screening at a major chain would show it, and it actually spoiled my enjoyment of TDKR at first. The cams are too crappy for me, I'm hoping they'll release it officially online soon.

Teasers released both the same but narration is different on both.

Huh... Well that wasn't worth the wait.

I'm not sure you can ground Superman in the same way as Batman can you?

The finding yourself fishing trip/manual labour just feels a lot more forced. But then I think it's been done in some of the comics hasn't it so I dunno.

Also considering you only get one shot of Superman in this they could have made sure it looked good. He looked like a little plastic figurine or something.

Edited by Retro_Link

After the superficial gash that was Returns, i'm all for the gristly Batman like approach to this one.