NEurope
Daft

Superman: Man of Steel (June 2013)

I always hear that argument, "he's an alien who gets his strength from the sun, he doesn't need muscles!"

But when has he ever been drawn without them in the comics?

6100421896_acb785895c_b.jpg

Is that Flashpoint/Project Superman?

Fuck DC's interweaving stories, I can't get into them at all.

Yeah, it's just Flashpoint. Doesn't really weave into anything, though. All you need to know is Superman was kept captive from the military ever since he crash landed as a kid. Hence why he is so he is so waifish. No sun. Major Vitiman D deficiency.

Only Flashpoint wort h reading is Knight of Vengeance and the Reverse Flash one shot. And Flashpoint itself.

They just make their big arcs so daunting to non-consistent readers. When you get to the end of an issue of something and see something like this...:

Flashpoint_Checklist_Part_1-666x1024.jpg

Yeah but that's where internet communities of people come in, to tell you what to read, and what to avoid. :) It's easy.

I asked the very question, and read the main series and the Batman one (which is inessential to the main storyline), finding them fine/good, and the Wonder Woman one, which was crap. Done.

They just make their big arcs so daunting to non-consistent readers. When you get to the end of an issue of something and see something like this...:

OMG, yes. I remember seeing that and I was like...what the fuck? This is less of a Flashpoint and more a freaking firework display (mostly fireworks of crap). [/AWFUL ANALOGY]

That's a big problem I have with Marvel and DC, they appear (and are to an extent) pretty impenetrable. The only way I got into DC was through Batman, because he's well known. I reckon they should release an issue every 6 months that catches up all the important events across the universe.

If you can get into it it's pretty rewarding and (worryingly) begins to make sense.

But yeah, read Batman: Knight of Vengeance (you don't even need to, but it is awesome) and Wonder Woman (and that's probably not even close to necessary). And Reverse Flash, because it is also ace.

I think Marvel are probably better than DC when it comes to event tie ins but it also does seem more of a recent thing for DC. You didn't need to read anything with the first Crisis or Infinite Crisis, I don't think Identity had any either. Final Crisis has been the worst one, if you didn't read the Superman tie in then you had no idea who this new big villain was that just turned up out of nowhere.

I don't understand when comics dont have 'previously' pages. So so stupid. Like...why not? Marvel makes the most effort with this, and often has little bios/team rosters on the same page. Like in X-Men.

Things like Invincible, which are great but don't have the iconic status that keeps things like Spidey/X-Men/Batman afloat, should really have previously pages/a little summary thing. So stupid.

Phew, was about to Thank that post but then I got to the (valid) negativity directed towards Invincible. Close call.

It wasn't really negativity, more like a statement of fact.

Anyway, comics thread is leaking in here... back to the Suit!

There is a kind of belt. To be honest, as long as it's noticeably different from the Donner suit I'm happy. This film really needs to differentiate itself from the other films if it wants to really succeed.

Oh yeah definately... and yeah there's that kind of metal belt thing... but just wondered if the suit needed a splash more red just to break up all the blue.

EDIT: Not that me saying that has any influence on the matter! :p

Edited by Retro_Link

I'm pretty happy because it's a lot closer to the NuDC Supes outfit than I thought it would be but yeah including the red belt migh have looked better. I'm sure it'll look great in motion and in official shots. Wish they'd release a teaser image/trailer already.

I like the costume a lot. I was impressed when I saw it.

I like the traditional pants Superman, but that's only because I'm a massive gay -- realistically this choice makes far more sense.

I think having seen the full body+cape far off shots, a bit of red round the middle wouldn't have gone amiss. Not even a full-belt necessarily. Just something.

What would you consider a teaser image? There was this

0804supes-big.jpg

Wow, that looks insane. I love it. Totally missed that pic. Thanks!

I like that it looks alien. And the shield isn't even necessarily an "s". Just looks like one from human perspective. Jokes.

So the superhero famous for wearing his pants outside his suit, thus inspiring a whole other raft of similar superhero designs, is no longer wearing his pants outside his suit.

There will be an uproar. I guarantee it.

From who? Most the internet commenters seem pretty okay with it and I can't imagine the general public give a flying poo.

Also, Superman is officially pantless now anyway.