NEurope
Daft

Superman: Man of Steel (June 2013)

As well intended and excellently styled as it was, it was a Donner-debted piece of shit. Also, Brandon Routh was amazing.

The style manages to blanket the film's flaws for me. Unlike some films I've seen... :p

(Ok, I'll try not to bring it up in every thread... :D)

The funny thing about Superman Returns is that it managed to ruin two movies. Itself and X-Men 3.

The funny thing about Superman Returns is that it managed to ruin two movies. Itself and X-Men 3.

Exactly. Staggering powerful.

Totally worth it for the trailer/Jor El sound bites and Routh.

It was good, apart from the storyline being shit, the casting of Lois being shit and the casting of Lex being shit.

Totally worth it for the trailer/Jor El sound bites and Routh.

This I can support. Superman Returns' trailer was way more awesome than the film itself.

"They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way... for this reason, above all else, I have sent them you"

*cue John Williams*

I watched that like a hundred times.

General Zod again then, so it'll be a crap almost remake of Superman 2 then, like Superman returns was a crap almost remake of Superman the movie.

General Zod again then, so it'll be a crap almost remake of Superman 2 then, like Superman returns was a crap almost remake of Superman the movie.

Oh, I didn't realise you'd seen the script. Can you shed any more details for us?

Yes, just how The Dark Knight was an almost remake of Batman 89

I was hoping for Doomsday but I'll take Zod. Just glad it isn't Lex.

Yeah Doomsday would have been great.

I keep thinking, really Zod again, but that's just because I've been spoilt by Smallville! :D

Yeah Doomsday would have been great.

I keep thinking, really Zod again, but that's just because I've been spoilt by Smallville! :D

That's why I didn't want Lex! I've been re-watching early seasons of Smallville and I still like to think Lex might turn out good :heh:

I still wouldnt mind seeing Lex, he just needs to be done right in a movie for once.

Doomsday I think would work better in a sequel down the line, once weve actually grown attached to this version of Superman.

Im still sticking with my wish for Brainiac. I think that could make it more of an epic Superman story with the whole world being invaded instead of just something/one attacting Superman. Superman 2 tried the world take over thing of course but it never felt that way at all.

Doomsday would make a good sequel to an established Superman.

Lex would be a great villain, he's never been done right in the films. Kevin Spacey played a great Lex but he was too much of a mad scientist supervillain modeled on Donner's Lex, rather than the scheming and brilliant businessman who has a place in society in the comics.

Yeah Brainiac would also make for a great film.

In a way I kinda hope we never see Lex! There's certainly enough other great stories to make up a series of films.

If they did Doomsday, they'd be in serious danger of making a good Superman movie.

I wish studios would take a bit more risk and not constantly resort to dumbing down stories because the general public are too retarded to comprehend anything different than what Joe Bloggs has told them.

I can just imagine the conversation now.

Writer: "I was thinking we could use Doomsday this time?"

Studio Exec: "Who? I think we better just stick with Lex. No, wait! lets mix it up and go with Zod!"

Writer: *Smacks own Face*

The problem with Superman movies is that he is too powerful for me to ever believe he should be in danger. Whenever I see Lex stick him with kryptonite yet again, I always think that he shouldn't have been hit. He can move at near the speed of light, any area would take him pretty much no time to xray for kryptonite before he entered. Any time he is in trouble it is due to him neglecting to use one of his many powers to save himself. In the last movie he picked up an entire continent full of kryptonite, and like 5 minutes earlier he was almost dead from a teaspoon of the stuff... Basically my disbelief can't be suspended :( I still do enjoy them though.

While I never like the idea of PURE action films, Superman might be a case where they could just go balls to the wall, action-wise. Have a villain that can challenge him. Even though that idea is almost...boring.

Just don't Michael Bay/Zack Snyder it. :/

I liked how in the DCUA cartoon/s, he wasn't as powerful as he is in the comics. Still had all the powers, but generally less great.

They need to go all Allstar Superman, really. Bat-shit hyper science, alternative realities and crazy conceptual stuff is the perfect stage for Superman because it presents a world that actually fits and challenges him. Making him part of the real world and having Lex Luthor somehow challenge him in any way is kind of dumb. It's impossible to believe.

Zod actually makes sense because he's just like Superman, so he's an advarsary that actually works.

The problem with Superman movies is that he is too powerful for me to ever believe he should be in danger. Whenever I see Lex stick him with kryptonite yet again, I always think that he shouldn't have been hit.

Superman's struggles don't come from his personal danger. I mean really, when is any Superhero in danger? They're all going to be fine by the closing credits.

With Superman it's about... juggling living a real life with the responsibility of the power to save people all day every day. If Superman doesn't spend every single second saving people all around the world, isn't he basically letting people die? He has the power, and will rarely get tired. But is that any way to live a life? He was raised as a human and as such he wants to have friends, family, a job, a girlfriend etc..

His biggest weakness is when human life is dangled in front of him. In John Byrne's Man of Steel, when Superman first meets Batman, Batman has him completely fooled/tested by putting a bomb inside himself. Not wanting to see anyone get hurt, Superman has to go along with everything he says.

Kryptonite is just... a tool for the movies to appease the mass market. People know the green stuff kills Superman so their eyes widen when it appears. It doesn't even pop up that often in the comics.

Tl;dr, Superman's weakness is his humanity, not kryptonite.

Edited by Shorty