NEurope
Daft

Superman: Man of Steel (June 2013)

I'm so bored of his direction. It'll probably be fine though.

I'd rather just watch Superman Returns / tbh I would rather they just did an all-round satisfying Superman film. It's only me that likes Superman Returns apparently. Even though I know I'm right. Lal.

Funnily enough I watched all 5 Superman films the other day!!

In that link it mentions Zod is the rumoured villian... Why do they feel the need to only use Zod or Lex as villians in the films (well bar Superman 3, but that was shit)?

There is loads of cool villians they could use instead for the bigscreen, imagine a big screen fight with Doomsday for example! Brainiac would be cool also!!

I was extremely impressed with Superman Returns. The whole "Where was Superman during 9/11?" theme was very potent. You were gutted he wasn't there to save the day, but you couldn't help be chuffed he was back anyway.

The plane scene was brilliant and it's always good when he loses his powers via Kryptonite then gets them back and bashes the villains! Oh, and I loved the return of John Williams' music.

I liked Routh as Clark Kent, Superman I thought he was a bit bland. The plane scene from Returns is my favourite scene from any Superman movie. Apart from that I didnt really like Returns.

If Lex Luthor appears in this new version they really need to rethink his character. He should never be basically an "evil estate agent" like he has been in previous movies, just obsessed with land. My two favourite live action versions of Lex have been Smallville's and Lois & Clarks, both of which have him as the business man who the world doesnt really know is evil. Smallville especially did a brilliant job fleshing out the character.

I probably would like to see General Zod again but not yet. The only good thing about him being in the movie is that Superman needs a credible threat to be interesting and people making the movies seem to forget that a lot. They need to embrace the fact that he is an alien so trying to go the same route as Batman and have it be super realistic just wont work.

I was extremely impressed with Superman Returns. .

I was impressed with that movie too. I really don't know what the problem was.

I will say though there hasn't been one superman movie i've been fully impressed with.

• the first movie was great but spinning around the planet to reverse time created too many plot holes to count
  • the second movie switched directors halfway through and it felt like the new director was trying to be silly for the fact of it i.3 throwing his logo at someone and I know there is the Richard Donner cut but I believe that inclues the planet spin AGAIN.
  • 3 and 4 are just ugh
  • and returns doesn't have enough action in it.. In fact superman doesn't have 1 fight scene if I recall. Never punches anyone once.

If there's one thing Smallville's done well it was Lex Luthor. Michael Rosenbaum was great and having Lex as the confident businessman who eventually becomes president is much better than the prison-breaking mad-man which Kevin Spacey brought back to the screen (albeit competently).

I am looking forward to this movie but don't have high hopes. I did not particularly like Routh, he was mostly just too softly spoken. That bit where he first talks as Superman after climbing aboard the plane and awkwardly delivering that Christopher Reeve line, which was never very good anyway, he was just so... timid. He had none of the commanding presence of such a powerful being. He did a great Clark Kent though and admittedly had his moments, smiling after the bullet hits his eye comes to mind.

Singer really messed up though when it comes to appeasing the Superman fans. He made a quite homely tale, a world without Superman etc., but too many homages to Superman I and II, throwing the kid in for no good reason, Superman unable to take on Lex Luthor's thugs whilst standing on a Kryptonite island, but somehow finding the strength to then fly that island in to space....

Singer really messed up though when it comes to appeasing the Superman fans. He made a quite homely tale, a world without Superman etc., but too many homages to Superman I and II, throwing the kid in for no good reason, Superman unable to take on Lex Luthor's thugs whilst standing on a Kryptonite island, but somehow finding the strength to then fly that island in to space....

I think the film tried to justify that with him flying nearer to the sun and get charged before he lifted the island into the sky that and he was REALLY pissed off by then... Might be a shoddy idea but then again every superman film till then always contained something silly.

I was extremely impressed with Superman Returns. The whole "Where was Superman during 9/11?" theme was very potent. You were gutted he wasn't there to save the day, but you couldn't help be chuffed he was back anyway.

The plane scene was brilliant and it's always good when he loses his powers via Kryptonite then gets them back and bashes the villains! Oh, and I loved the return of John Williams' music.

I agree but... I wouldn't let ReZ see that.

I think the film tried to justify that with him flying nearer to the sun and get charged before he lifted the island into the sky that and he was REALLY pissed off by then... Might be a shoddy idea but then again every superman film till then always contained something silly.

Nearer to the sun? He was just inside the clouds. That's what, a few kilometres closer to something which is about 1.496×10^8 km away? :heh:

Nearer to the sun? He was just inside the clouds. That's what, a few kilometres closer to something which is about 1.496×10^8 km away? :heh:

hm for some reason I had an image of him in space. Meh guess he was closed to home than I thought. Still that is pretty much their explanation for his sudden mad power ha.

• and returns doesn't have enough action in it.. In fact superman doesn't have 1 fight scene if I recall. Never punches anyone once.

Agree, although I liked the fact it didn't have any graphic violence in it. It's not that I thought it was perfect, I just enjoyed it more than some of the more acclaimed comic book films, like Batman.

As for the recovery thing, he did fly quite high into the atmosphere, thus getting away from the Kryptonite island and recharging via the sun. He then flew back very quickly and purposely, severing it with his laser vision, so he was able to get under it and lift it before it had time to weaken him.

It made enough sense to me.

He didnt go into the atmosphere, just above the cloud cover. It didnt really bother me though. Only thing thats a shame is that I love that shot of him in silhouette against the sun and id rather it had been used in a better Superman movie.

Id like to see the next movie have more Clark in it as well. Weve never really got that much of him before in the movies apart from annoying bumbling Clark who I hate. Ive always had the opinion that Clark is the real person and Superman is the disguise. I think they need more real Clark moments to humanise the character for tha audience.

Speaking of that shot, before Superman Returns came out I was hanging out on the bluetights daily planet forums (RIP). There wasn't enough good artwork out there and we were all getting hyped about the film, then someone made this awesome image as a poster for the new film:

220659896_ab11cceca2.jpg

Then when the film came out, this image was pretty much a scene in the film! No idea if it was a coincidence or not, but Brian Singer did post his video blogs on that site. I imagine hundreds of people who had seen this poster were thinking the same thing as the scene appeared in the film :laughing:

I recently started reading Superman comics - before that I only knew the movies and tv shows - and was surprised that Clark is a lot less clumsy but quite shy still, while as Superman he's confident that nobody on the planet can screw him over. While still showing respect he also lets it hang out that nobody on the planet can mess with him.

I think that slightly "darker" side to his character makes him a lot more interesting and I hope they incorporate this into the movie.

I was amused by Batman on Twitter.

God_Damn_Batman Hey Zack Snyder, congrats on booking the Superman gig. Seriously. Next time we chat, you'll have to tell me how second place feels.

I enjoyed Returns a lot. The action scenes were excellent. When he flies through the Daily Planet and catches the globe, well it was AWESOME. Needed serious editing and Lex was crap.

I do want to see Superman punch something though. He can't just fight natural disasters again.

I agree. That is a must. As piss poor as The Matrix 3 was, the fight between WH Smiths and 2x4 'duurrrr' Reeves at the end would have made an awesome awesome Supes fight.

Off topic, I'd love to see Tilda Swinton play The Riddler in Batman 3 with Hush being the main villain - taking advantage of Batman's new fugitive status.

I agree. That is a must. As piss poor as The Matrix 3 was, the fight between WH Smiths and 2x4 'duurrrr' Reeves at the end would have made an awesome awesome Supes fight.

Yes. Akin to how he was awesome in that DC Universe game trailer.

I always thought Superman was boring though. Wouldn't be the best pseudonym though, so I guess he overcompensated and slid himself to the opposite end of the spectrum.

Off topic, I'd love to see Tilda Swinton play The Riddler in Batman 3 with Hush being the main villain - taking advantage of Batman's new fugitive status.

I love!

Though you ruined it by mentioning Hush. He's rubbish.

Shush! Hush is cool. He's like a puppet master, just manipulates everyone/thing just how he wants it. I think he'd be awesome.

Shame they killed Falcone. They should have just made The Long Halloween into a film, a real detective batman film. Film Noir and all that shit. I guess it isn't mainstream enough.

Hush (the storyline) is the most overrated thing. And apparently the character is treated like shite after that, so yeah.

The story is just Batman wandering around meeting his classic villains until he meets Hush in a shit battle. It's so much nothing. It thinks it's a definitive run on a classic character, when in fact if it wasn't Jim Lee drawing everyone ever, no one would care about it.

If you want brilliant new villains in the Batman universe, just turn to Professor Pyg and Doctro Hurt, created by Grant Morrison.