NEurope
Diageo

Justin Bieber vs. the World, Hitler and Puberty

How do I tie this in? How about Nina Simone has better music than the Bieber, in my opinion.

Fixed for you.

Who would think Justin Bieber would spark up an interesting debate, eh Dannyboy? :p

Who would think Justin Bieber would spark up an interesting debate, eh Dannyboy? :p

I'm not surprised, actually. Bieber has become such an icon, for better or for worse, that an interesting discussion was bound to come out of it. :heh:

Fixed for you.

:)

I was being cautious as I didn't want people shouting at me that Bieber is so much better :p

This is actually a really interesting debate. What makes good music? What decides that one piece of music is better than another? Is it down to technical thing? Is it solely a matter of taste?

as unfortunate as it sounds, it really depends on the listener.

Although one piece of music should be considered much better than another, I think it comes to how the listener is affected by it.

Such as someone may be more emotionally connected to something like the Crazy Frog song than something like the anti-racism songs that Billie Holiday sang.

It's a little mental but that's people for you.

Edited by Frank

I think good music, is music I like. And to me that's enough.

So yes, I would listen to Bieber over Mozart and to me Bieber is better than Mozart. I guess I have no culture or taste though so it doesn't matter.

I just hate your terminology for things you like being the word "good".

I've quite enjoyed lots of songs by Ke$ha, but I wouldn't consider them good. I like lots of songs by Katy Perry, but they aren't very good music. I think Get Sexy by The Sugababes is a musical abomination, but I've found myself enjoying the beat/bits of it in a club setting before. I liked it. Doesn't make it good. I fucking LOVE Miley Cyrus' last album - but it's nothing special or original or anything.

That's how I see things.

Anyway, we all have personal scales of what we consider good and bad music, and the debate of subjectivity versus objectivity always ends in contradiction so I'd rather not have to think about it/get into it.

If you seriously believe the quality of all music is completely subjective, I really can't begin to reason with you.

Music quality is defined by people's taste. Mozart being a better musician than Justin Bieber is still an opinion, it doesn't matter how many people tell you this, it doesn't matter if they're respected individuals, friends or whatever. It's an opinion, and someone will disagree with you. It is subjective.

As for the topic at hand, I am indifferent towards Bieber. I heard of him mainly thanks to those who hate him, so I guess they are secretly fans trying to spread the word through the powerful publicity machine of Internet Memes.

I just hate your terminology for things you like being the word "good".

Compared to his, your terminology is about as clear as mud...

This is actually a really interesting debate. What makes good music? What decides that one piece of music is better than another? Is it down to technical thing? Is it solely a matter of taste?

Even technical differences are down to taste. There are those who'll rave on about "8-bit goodness", despite the fact that they're mostly beeps and bops. Nostalgia speaks there, but do motives really matter?

I mean -

Someone saying, "I love Ke$ha and her music! So do millions of other people. Therefore she and her music are good."

He doesn't even mean that, but his use of the word good just makes what he tries to say make no sense. Which I'm sure I've suffered from too as this pointless debate has gone on.

Compared to his, your terminology is about as clear as mud...

It seems I've ran out of thanks. This has never happened before. But thank you Raining.:bowdown: Love you.

Music quality is defined by people's taste. Mozart being a better musician than Justin Bieber is still an opinion, it doesn't matter how many people tell you this, it doesn't matter if they're respected individuals, friends or whatever. It's an opinion, and someone will disagree with you. It is subjective.

This is actually a very precise wording of my opinion on the subject matter.

I mean -

Someone saying, "I love Ke$ha and her music! So do millions of other people. Therefore she and her music are good."

He doesn't even mean that, but his use of the word good just makes what he tries to say make no sense. Which I'm sure I've suffered from too as this pointless debate has gone on.

Sure they do. If someone loves a piece of music, then it makes it good.

I mean -

Then what is your definition of "good"? You haven't answered that yet.

My personal definition of "good" is "I like it, and I think most other people I know would, too".

If I like it, but others don't, I call it "personal preference".

If I like it, and it flies in the face of everything I usually like, it's a "Guilty Pleasure"

So, what's your definition of good, anyway?

Sure they do. If someone loves a piece of music, then it makes it good.

greasecoollookingrizzofk0rizzo.jpg

mmmmmmkay