NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Retro_Link

Autoglass WTF!

I have a small chip, about half the size of my little finger nail in my windscreen so payed a visit to the autoglass website:

Here's what you told us about your problem:

• The damage is to your windscreen

• The damage is a chip smaller than a £2 coin

• The damage is not in the driver's line of vision

• The damage is less than 6cm from the windscreen's edge

Based on your answers it is likely that we will have to replace your windscreen.

Seriously what the...?!!

"Autoglass Repair... Autglass Re... ip you off!"

Can't you use one of those other companies that seemingly 'fill in' the damage if its so small?

Woah... that sounds a bit unnecessary. I bet there's another company out there that'd do it cheaper.

The problem is how close to the edge it is.

Yeah that's what I assumed... but really it's a tiny tiny chip, and probably 5cm in.

Has anybody seen any alternative companies advertised on the tele, or used a nationwide company?

I'm a bit reluctant to just get someone out the phone book... I thought Autoglass were pretty much who everyone turned to for these small chips.

Edited by Retro_Link

I'm with Swiftcover insurance and they use Auto Windscreens (Google it - not posted enough to post links)

I had quite a large chip that was bigger than a 5p coin and the lady on the phone when I booked it said I needed a new windscreen, but when the man came to fix it, he said it was in a section that could be repaired so he repaired it. It's physically still there but it's as strong as the rest of the windscreen now.

I would suggest getting someone to come and visit and see, mine was the same as yours and the website is stupid.

In the end I had to replace my windscreen but it was because it was lower down in the view where the most pressure is! Get it seen too.

Have u got any places that regulary have autoglass vans at supermarkets or whatever?

If you do you could turn up there and see what the guys say. If he says you need a new windscreen you can just go "no thanks" and off you pop. Mine was within 6cm of the bottom edge and he never said anything.

I had a chip on my windscreen for 2 and ahalf years near the bottom, it never got bigger no matter the weather, i only got it done a few weeks ago coz i seen one of their vans at a supermarket and i thought 'what the hell, ill finally do it'.

Edited by Mike1988uk

I love Autoglass, sorted me out twice.

Both times I've just rolled up to them in a shopping centre car park and they've done it there and then free of charge and no impact on my insurance. As Mike said if I was you I would find one in a car park and ask them if it is fixable or it is a replacement. The website is probably being over cautious.

The website is probably being over cautious.

This.

The website will be running on a formula to keep things simple and quick. One of the things that you said will have fit the criteria for a new windscreen. A technician will no doubt have a closer look when they come to fix it and will be able to give you the proper diagnosis.

Definitely, it's most likely fixable, unfortunately because of where my chip was I had to replace it, but that's placement, I even passed my MOT with that chip!

Definitely, it's most likely fixable, unfortunately because of where my chip was I had to replace it, but that's placement, I even passed my MOT with that chip!

My car passed as well! As long as the chip isn't in the drivers line of sight it's fine!!

My car passed as well! As long as the chip isn't in the drivers line of sight it's fine!!

They also say about size too, my dad and I were quite surprised.

broken-windshield-09-12-28.jpg

In Texas you can have this on you windshield as long as the driver can still see and it does not interfere with the wipers.

broken-windshield-09-12-28.jpg

In Texas you can have this on you windshield as long as the driver can still see and it does not interfere with the wipers.

Haha that reminds me of my ex's car (also in Texas). He had a huge crack running through the middle of his windscreen, all the way from the bottom to the top. I thought it was scary and always feared the windscreen would fall apart with every bump we went over. =P

Sign in to follow this