NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
MadDog

Weird HDD Problem

Hey,

So I've got a 2nd HDD installed, used as a slave drive. Everytime i turn my PC on, the format of the HDD is always raw. I'll format it back to NTFS, and it will be usable again. If i then shut down the PC, and turn it back on, the file format is raw again, so i have to format and lose any files i had on there. I've googled it and found nothing, i think it's a hardware fault, but i'm not sure. Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks in advance. :smile:

Hey,

So I've got a 2nd HDD installed, used as a slave drive. Everytime i turn my PC on, the format of the HDD is always raw. I'll format it back to NTFS, and it will be usable again. If i then shut down the PC, and turn it back on, the file format is raw again, so i have to format and lose any files i had on there. I've googled it and found nothing, i think it's a hardware fault, but i'm not sure. Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks in advance. :smile:

operating system?

hmmmmm.

Happens multiple times?

Can you chkdsk?

sound to me like it could be that there are either; bad sectors (power outtage or spike??) or a hardware failure. I'm not 100% sure if it is a windows thing... I suppose you aren't able to access it off a different computer or through a different O.S?

Is the disk new?

Edited by Raining_again

It's just seems strange that when I format it, it's totally fine. Until I shutdown the pc. I got it given to me, I don't think it was used though. I tried a error check in properties I think, and it found nothing. Thanks for the replies.

Is chkdsk something you do in a command prompt? I'm sure I've heard of it.

I think it is fixed now. I did a error check, but i ticked the search for bad sectors part this time. It then went through the thing before it booted Windows, and it seems to be ok at the moment. Thanks for the help :)

I think it is fixed now. I did a error check, but i ticked the search for bad sectors part this time. It then went through the thing before it booted Windows, and it seems to be ok at the moment. Thanks for the help :)

aye that's a chkdsk. Probably had some bad sectors that it was able to recover. Glad you got eet working!

Sign in to follow this