NEurope
Dante

Tales of the Abyss

I got Skyward Sword, Mario 3D Land and Tales of Abyss all from Amazon and they've all arrived on release day.

It's my local sorting office. When I rung them up, they were quick to blame Northampton sorting office as apparently they clean out the whole place by the time the post men are sent out. Either way, one of the sorting offices my items have to go through seems to be fucking up immensely as a week for a first class package is absurd.

Walked into GameStop today and there were several copies on the shelf. I bought one of course.

Anyone else feel this game is way too big to be on a handheld? These console ports always seem so cramped.

Lovely game though. Up to the first town and already getting that classic Tales vibe. God Luke is a bitch.

The game is back instock at ShopTo.net.

My copy from TheHut was dispatched today. Keeping it aside until early 2012. Looking forward to playing it as I haven't played a Tales game before.

I got Skyward Sword, Mario 3D Land and Tales of Abyss all from Amazon and they've all arrived on release day.

Would getting them a day early, free first class postage not tempt you to go with ShopTo? :p

Would getting them a day early, free first class postage not tempt you to go with ShopTo? :p

Maybe, what's the price difference?

[i get free first class shizzle with Amazon Prime technically.]

Anyone else feel this game is way too big to be on a handheld? These console ports always seem so cramped.

Lovely game though. Up to the first town and already getting that classic Tales vibe. God Luke is a bitch.

It would be way worse if the status shizzle is on the top screen as well, Christ that would blow. Having a look at some PS2 screens, the difference in graphics is pretty much minimal.

I think I'm doing something wrong with the battle system though, in Symphonia you could go left/right and up/down and around for full circle battle. Yet this seems to be just a linear affair. I'm sure someone told me it was like Symphonia.

Having a look at some PS2 screens, the difference in graphics is pretty much minimal.

How do the graphics look on the 3DS? Prior to it coming out over here, I kept reading about people complaining about it being jaggy central. Is that the case and are jaggies really that noticeable when the game is shrunk down to fit the 3DS screen?

How do the graphics look on the 3DS? Prior to it coming out over here, I kept reading about people complaining about it being jaggy central. Is that the case and are jaggies really that noticeable when the game is shrunk down to fit the 3DS screen?

Graphics look fine to me. There's a few jaggies, but I'm used to it.

One question fore very one else who has it, is the 3D used by the game having a major disagreement with my eyes or is there some major ghosting going on when in 3D mode?

Maybe, what's the price difference?

[i get free first class shizzle with Amazon Prime technically.]

It would be way worse if the status shizzle is on the top screen as well, Christ that would blow. Having a look at some PS2 screens, the difference in graphics is pretty much minimal.

I think I'm doing something wrong with the battle system though, in Symphonia you could go left/right and up/down and around for full circle battle. Yet this seems to be just a linear affair. I'm sure someone told me it was like Symphonia.

ShopTo is often cheaper or around the same price as Amazon, but automatically has free first class and without fail has gotten everything I ordered at least a day before release to me. Even if it was 1-2 pounds more expensive, which is rare, I'd still get it from ShopTo because they always deliver early.

Other places sometimes seem to drop the ball but never ShopTo.

I searched this morning for some PS2 screens for comparison and there's little difference.

Graphics look fine to me. There's a few jaggies, but I'm used to it.

One question fore very one else who has it, is the 3D used by the game having a major disagreement with my eyes or is there some major ghosting going on when in 3D mode?

I find this happens only/mainly when the characters are talking. The speech bubbles are so prominently in your face when you focus on them the characters blur and vice versa.

There's no real 360 battle movement is there?

What exactly is a jaggy?

It's basically aliasing. A lot of people call them 'jaggies' though because some graphics appear incredibly jagged if there is no anti-aliasing effort (it takes quite a bit of power) or the source material is at a higher resolution than the screen it is being displayed on (which is most likely the case in Tales of the Abyss).

The simplest picture I could find that demonstrates it:

anti-aliasing.jpg

I notice a lot of aliasing when I play a 3DS in 3D mode, but that's probably because it requires a lot of power to do the two at once and the fact that 2D masks it pretty well because there is no distinction in distance between character models and the backgrounds.

I've not played much of Tales of the Abyss, but from what I've seen there are jaggies but I was kind of expecting it due to it originally being a PS2 title but it's not as bad as I thought it would be. My eyes don't seem to agree with objects closest to the screen when playing this on 3D mode though, I get a shit load of ghosting (seeing double).

I find that I get a bit of ghosting on Ocarina of Time sometimes, but that's because I'm holding the screen to close. And thanks for the explanation.

I find that I get a bit of ghosting on Ocarina of Time sometimes, but that's because I'm holding the screen to close. And thanks for the explanation.

Hmm, I never really notice how close I'm holding the screen to my face so I may have to try it to see if I can manage a better 'sweet spot'.

When do you see the ghosting on this? I only notice it during conversations. Unless I turn it down to about 1/3 3D then it's alright.

Luke is fucking annoying, just wait until halfway through the game, it gets really bad

He does a complete 180 though later in the game.

Anyway, the game is all about Jade and Tear!

Yes, Luke is a whiny self centred dick. I'm always amazed how Tear in particular can be so forgiving, some of the crap he says about her and she doesn't let it get to her, she's certainly one of my more favoured Tales girls.

When do you see the ghosting on this? I only notice it during conversations. Unless I turn it down to about 1/3 3D then it's alright.

I see very little of it during conversations strangely.. The intro screen with the beams of light coming through the window ghosts horrendously for me, I see double of to the right.. Aside from that, the only time there's noticeable ghosting is when you see edges of paths coming towards the screen.

To be honest, I'll probably rarely use the 3D effect apart from the in-game cut scenes to conserve battery life. It's no biggy.

I see very little of it during conversations strangely...

You don't get this?

I find this happens only/mainly when the characters are talking. The speech bubbles are so prominently in your face when you focus on them the characters blur and vice versa.

Try the shoulder button. You can run around freely, but cannot attack while doing so.

What about replayability - is there a bunch of different endings like in Tales of Symphonia?

No, nothing. But the grade shop is there like usual.

I think someone asked about new content? (I read the topic yesterday). The game is 100% port from the US PS2 version (which had more than the JAP PS2 version)

This is a nice game. OK, I'm not playing it in 3D, the jaggies are indeed prominent and I think the the graphics are a little too "soft" for the lower resolution of the 3DS (compared to the PS2). However, that's all part and parcel of a port.

The first village is lovely - the charm is up there with my favourites like Dragon Quest. I'm also very impressed with the voice actress for Tear. She has a perfect tone to her voice.

Slightly off topic, but is the Tales of Abyss anime worth getting?

Edited by Ike

I'm also very impressed with the voice actress for Tear. She has a perfect tone to her voice.

Yeah you would think that, but if you listen to the Japanese voice for tear, you will get a woody :heh:, it's one of the few games I would go Japanese voice easily.