NEurope
Mokong

How I Met Your Mother

Essentially, they had this ending idea 8 years ago and, despite the show progressing way beyond that ending, they decided to use it anyway. I don't think anyone would have minded if the kids had looked older if they had decided to record a new ending.

Hell, even shot of the kids asleep due to boredom would have been a better ending.

I'm shoving my downloaded file of the last ep into my video editor right now to make the same edits and pretend this is how it really ended! This would have been the perfect ending

Hell I might even edit out all the Barney/Robin divorce stuff too, it'll seriously cut down the ep lenght but hell least I can pretend everyone gets the happy endings they should have gotten. :heh:

So simple, it was like they forced themselves to use the 8 year old scene with the kids just cause they had it, never occured to them to just drop it and have things end in a way that would be consistant with how the characters have developed over the last 9 years.

Read the official Facebook page and seems 90% of viewers all feel the same, one thing I read that I didn't fully think of yesterday is with Ted going back to Robin, how is that a happy ending? There is no gaurantee that they will live happily ever after, that relationship has been explored and fallen apart so many times there is nothing about that conbination to say "yes Robin is his real "the one"", Robin is still absorbed in her career, she's not gonna drop that and play housewife with Ted, it'[s the reason they broke up before, Ted wanted to settle down Robin wanted to travel, they agreed they would never change what they wanted and thus would never work in the long run.

If Robin was unable to change for Barney (which I wish she did as that combination of her and Barney made so much more sense given their characters deleopments through all teh season and especially in the last 2-3) she's not gonna change for Ted. That scenaio is far from a happy ending.

Well no, they broke up because Ted wanted kids and Robyn didn't.

But Ted has kids now, so maybe they will be OK?

But Ted has kids now, so maybe they will be OK?

Well

Barney and Robin split up because Robin was a complete bitch and wouldn't compromise.

For three years, Barney put up with Robin travelling for her job. He tried staying at home, and he tried going with her. When he finally complained, her first solution was "we could get divorced". He didn't even consider that she could quit her current job and get a permanent job in New York, perhaps with occasional travelling.

She can not cope with a long term relationship because she has other goals which are more important to her. As the episode doesn't show Robin changing (as we thought she had for Barney), we can only assume that Robin is going to do the same thing and that, a year or two after the ending, they're going to split up again.

True. It's pretty unbelievable that anyone ended up with Robyn to be honest.

One of things people who didn't like the ending are posting about is the rushed nature of the time from the end of the wedding to 2030 in particular how the mothers death was just brushed over with no details (oh she got sick), no funeral scene and no sign of emotion for her memory from either 2030 Ted or his kids.

In response to that I've seen people on the "other side" say they couldn't do a funeral scene or similar cause this is a comedy and that would be too sad for a comedy....... did these people miss the whole event of Marshals dad dying? :heh:

Also those same people will then go, go it's more akin to "real life" that he ends up with Robin again..... I do not get this.... ok fine that kinda works for the divorce part, divorces happen, fine....but "this is a comedy" and divorces are "sad" so these people argue that the exclusion of a funeral scene for the mother would be too sad for a comedy but the break-up and regression of character development of what was to be Barney and Robins happy ending isn't sad but "imatating real life".......

also...

"Found" this on Youtube on a new channel that was just opened today, very rough editing of the final ep, whoever did it must have been in a rush *cough* taken down to 23mins

So first 10mins remain the same, cut out the bit between Ted and Barney at the bar with Barney complaining Robin is never home, left in the Argentina bit but cut it after Barney says "I Love You" to Robin and removal of any mention of their breakup after that seems to make it appear they are still together. And the end cuts out the "she got sick" bit of teh monologue and it all ends when Ted says "That's how I met your mother" right after the perfection of the Umbrella scene. Yes all is now right with the world, we shall just pretend this is the cannon final ep from now on yeah? :D

It's not that a divorce is sad, it's that it doesn't make sense. They spent, what, 2-3 seasons convincing us that Robin and Barney were right for each other? (and they succeeded as far as I am concerned) And then they ended it in two minutes in the series finale. That's one episode. In the series finale.

Like the new ending. That umbrella scene was epic. That scene was even great in the show. So sweet, so perfect.

Also, I want to say I really liked that scene, a few episodes ago, where they showed all the past characters that made a lasting impression in the show. Was great to see so many of them again. So many I wished never left or had more scenes.

Edited by Tales

I agree that the ending was probably used just because they had it. In fact, it felt so detached from the direction of the series, I didn't even feel like I was watching the canon ending. I mean that seriously, I felt as though the show had already ended and I had hit the "alternate ending" DVD option, so for me it wasn't really so bad :p

Perhaps the worst thing about the ending is that they actually thought that ham fisted hint at the end of ep 19 was subtle. Now that's just sad.

Just found out that the series has finished. I was about half way up when I gave up watching each week and instead decided to wait until the end. I'll post my thoughts in a few days when I watch the remainign 12 or so episodes!

I did exactly that. I actually enjoyed it a lot more that way.

Yeah I found that 20 minutes every week (or a lot of the time every other week because of breaks) just wasn't enough to enjoy it properly. I've started doing this with most shows that I used to watch on a weekly basis and it's far better.

One of things people who didn't like the ending are posting about is the rushed nature of the time from the end of the wedding to 2030 in particular how the mothers death was just brushed over with no details (oh she got sick), no funeral scene and no sign of emotion for her memory from either 2030 Ted or his kids.

In response to that I've seen people on the "other side" say they couldn't do a funeral scene or similar cause this is a comedy and that would be too sad for a comedy....... did these people miss the whole event of Marshals dad dying? :heh:

Also those same people will then go, go it's more akin to "real life" that he ends up with Robin again..... I do not get this.... ok fine that kinda works for the divorce part, divorces happen, fine....but "this is a comedy" and divorces are "sad" so these people argue that the exclusion of a funeral scene for the mother would be too sad for a comedy but the break-up and regression of character development of what was to be Barney and Robins happy ending isn't sad but "imatating real life".......

also...

"Found" this on Youtube on a new channel that was just opened today, very rough editing of the final ep, whoever did it must have been in a rush *cough* taken down to 23mins

So first 10mins remain the same, cut out the bit between Ted and Barney at the bar with Barney complaining Robin is never home, left in the Argentina bit but cut it after Barney says "I Love You" to Robin and removal of any mention of their breakup after that seems to make it appear they are still together. And the end cuts out the "she got sick" bit of teh monologue and it all ends when Ted says "That's how I met your mother" right after the perfection of the Umbrella scene. Yes all is now right with the world, we shall just pretend this is the cannon final ep from now on yeah? :D

Looks like FOX disagrees with you! :( I really wanted to see it as well!

Looks like FOX disagrees with you! :( I really wanted to see it as well!

They took it down already...gggrrr.

Looks like they also took down the Alt Ending vid I posted previously too.

But that has been re-uploaded, so if you missed that here it is :)

Also.

Hitlers reaction to the ending

Haha, I love the angry hitler videos. Right every time.

Edited by Tales

@Mokong Did you make that ending? Seriously, not lying, made MUCH MORE SENSE and was SO MUCH BETTER than the original! I wouldn't have even guessed it was fan-made! I need a whole alternate episode!!!

I actually re-watched the show and, believe it or not, I actually hated it. I watched it yesterday or the day before and I thought it was okay, not a great ending but I expected it. However, saw it again today and it actually made me a little bit angry. We've all sat through years of How I Met Your Mother and we've even watched episode after episode every week for us to meet the mother in the last season and to kill her off so suddenly and out of nowhere. The whole ending with Ted's kids basically saying that he's asking his kids' permission to bang Robin (c'mon guys, we all know that was what he was really getting at) and them saying "yes" with hardly any sort of emotion just seemed a little fucked up. I mean, I know it was six years later he was telling this story but surely you'd still be even at least a little more hurt about it...

Also, Barney and Robin, can we discuss this for one second? We've seen the last two or three seasons (possibly longer, I didn't keep count) with Barney basically falling for Robin and vice versa. The last season centered around them getting wed only for them to get a divorce just because of her job? Barney and Robin were literally an awesome couple next to Marshmallow and Lilypad! I hated that they got divorced, what a stupid way to ruin that! I sort of get that it was needed for Barney to grow as a character by him having his own daughter, making him appreciate women more but why couldn't he have had a daughter with Robin? He could have adopted or something! Still, Barney with his daughter was a sweet scene though! It would have been a little nicer to have seen him settle down with the chick he got pregnant though!

Ted and Robin just don't work! I never did like them as a couple! Robin was career-obsessed and Ted didn't like that (can't remember details, apologies if I got this mixed up) and by the looks of things, Robin didn't seem to settle down in one place. So with Ted already having two kids and Robin going all around the world because it's her job and him wanting to settle down, someone please tell me how the fuck that ending was better?!

The only thing I did like and the only thing that did seem real was Marshall and Lily. At least they got one thing right!

Oh and the Umbrella scene was legendary too!

You must have had monumentally low expectations!

I read what happened before i watched the final show. The actual show was better than what had been described.

Well, most of the reaction is for the final few minutes. Most of the rest was better, even with some bad choices (Barney/Robin breaking up), it was overall still a good episode and has some great moments.

It was just that final scene.

Yknow what it reminds me of? That bit where they git rid of Poochy from Itchy & Scratchy on The Simpsons.

It was so ham-fisted, I felt like I could actually see the hands of the producers messing with the show. That's why it didn't bother me so much, it practically broke the fourth wall with how forced and out-of-place it was.

@Mokong Did you make that ending? Seriously, not lying, made MUCH MORE SENSE and was SO MUCH BETTER than the original! I wouldn't have even guessed it was fan-made! I need a whole alternate episode!!!

No I didn't edit that ending (which has been taken off youtube again..damned Fox) I did edit down the whole ep to also try remove the...

Barney and Robin divorce

And I edited the ending in the same way as the Alt Ending vids I posted

Ugh...this was a Fox show? I think they have cancelled every show prematurely that I have liked.

What would people have felt about the finale if instead of spending all of season nine building up to the wedding, they spent it between 2013 and 2030 like they did in the finale?