NEurope
Mokong

How I Met Your Mother

So, there was a new episode yesterday and I personally think it was the highlight of the season. In fact, I actually laughed a couple of times!

I thought "NOBODY ASKED YOU HERE PATRICE" was kind of funny.

That's about it! Though as someone who used to be a huge Tomb Raider fan, seeing Robin dressed up as Angelina Jolie dressed up as Lara Croft was kind of neat.

I was thinking about that episode where Ted is trying to to think of something he recommended to other people and how terrible that storyline was but at least the ending was kind of nice.

Then I remembered the episode where we got the flashback to Ted telling Marshall that he should let Lily be in the picture they were taking and how much more touching that was.

Everything's been so contrived this season.

Season whatever: Lily and Marshall have to face their mortality and write letters to each other for the other person to read after they're gone.

Season eight: Lily and Marshall face their mortality again... with a game show! The person with the craziest answer always gets to go last.

Season whatever: Ted is brings a new girlfriend to a dinner and wants to have her in the group picture. It eventually ties back to when Ted and Marshall were going to take their first picture together and Ted thinks Lily should be in the picture too. "But what if we break up?" "What if you don't?" The episode still ends on a funny note as future Ted says that he broke up with the new girl shortly afterwards.

Season eight: Ted wants to prove that he's good at recommending things, so he finds these tapes from college that have never been mentioned before and sits around all day watching them in Lily and Marshall's apartment. Just as he's about to give up we find out that Marshall wasn't sure if he should keep dating Lily and Ted says that he'd be crazy to break up with her. The moment is ruined when he also says that he should sleep around first because "Lily isn't going anywhere."

Only two of these storylines feel like something that would happen in real life.

Double Episode before Xmas break FTW!

Didn't know they were gonna do that, was watching it and "half way" in was thinking "this should be over now?" Then looked at the timer and saw how long it was :D

Loved it, the whole jinx stuff in part 1 I enjoyed and was funny. Was nice how they tied it into the Barney/Bus incident in the past too.

Seth Green's cameo gave a few good laughs too :D

Then part 2, one final play by Barney, loved it.

Though I had kinda figured it out when Robin said that spot was actually her favourite place....and that Barney had planned on Ted to tell. I was thinking maybe after Robin almost firing Patrice, Patrice told Barney and broke up with him telling him she knows he belongs with Robin (oddly even from the start of that "relationship" I thought it seemed very "un-Barney" but the whole "overcorrection" thing I just went with it... so good slight of hand there).

Learning that is was all part of a big big final Play was awesome (cause I love the original Playbook ep, still one of my favs.... may the Playbook RIP :()

Might have seemed over complicated but I kinda get why he would to so much trouble. He had to make sure Robin still wanted him, even after she tried to "close to door" on him. He needed some way to show Robin he was ready for a real relationship and more (by appearing to be a "new" Barney with Patrice and burning the Playbook) and he needed to make sure Ted had let go of Robin....though he left that part kinda last minute and never really explained how he knew that happened....guess Ranjid (is that how you spell it?) texted him.

Brilliant episode. One of the best of the series, and it really tied up a lot of "loose ends" from this season. The whole thing was so Barney, both in its complexity and insanity, but also in the way that it showed how much he truly cares beneath it all. The whole complexity of the play was a test; if it didn't end up on that roof with Robin saying yes, it meant the play had failed somewhere, and in that case it wasn't meant to be. Either Robin didn't love him enough, or Ted wasn't okay with it, and in either case he wouldn't go through with it. He needed to be sure nothing stood in the way, and in doing so he also showed Robin how much he had grown and how he truly meant it.

I'm not gonna lie, I got a little teary.

I'm really glad too they aired this as a double ep, had it been divided over 2 weeks I don't know if it would have worked as well.

It felt a little like a HIMYM: The Movie :D

Edited by Mokong

I don't think I'll ever get tired of hearing Robin shout at Patrice. There is just something about the way Cobie delivers it.

I knew what was going to happen (both because we knew they'd get to a wedding and the episode title did give it away) but it was still sweet to see. I like how Barney incorporated getting Ted's approval, rather than just using his lack of secret keeping for his own advantage ('The Broath'). Plus it was extreme, but I think Barney knew that he had to push Robin to the edge because she, like him, tries to repress her emotions. Had he just given into her in the last few episodes they would have had sex and he probably still would have pined. The play was a bit cruel, but it made Robin really examine her own emotions. The scene between Ted and Robin in the limo was sweet, and proper closure for the relationship, which I'm sure will please some people. For what it's worth, I think it was 'closed' last season but Ted loves Robin, and loves the idea of being with her, but it took him to realise that that doesn't mean they're meant to be together.

Shame they can't seem to find anything for Marshall and Lily to do any more, they're becoming quite cartoonish. They were once the heart of the show. Although their song was pretty cool.

You all liked the episode?

It was predictable and boring. And not at all funny.

All the charm is gone. Has been since season 3.

If there was one part that made it extra great, it was

Barney not using Ted to simply lure Robin to the building, but to completely make sure that Ted was over Robin.

I do hope they find a use for Lilly and Marshall, though.

I love how Barney planned everything and how he got Ted's blessing, I thought it was a really nice touch. I'm happy it ended that way though. I take it it's the end of the season then?

If by 'end of the season' you mean 'mid-season finale', then yes. It'll be back in January.

I love how Barney planned everything and how he got Ted's blessing, I thought it was a really nice touch. I'm happy it ended that way though. I take it it's the end of the season then?

The season continues on the 14th January.

For me, it ended perfectly. I love the Robin/Patrice thing, Robin shouting makes me laugh.

I also love Robin screaming at Patrice.

Does no one else think the play was incredibly manipulative and creepy. Absolutely toying with her emotions and generally just testing her feelings for him. If I was her I would be pissed off, and would feel totally used.

Just watched it.

I like to think Barney's plan only started at "I'm going to stop trying to get you". Very hard to believe it started before then.

I saw it coming from the moment the WWW building was mentioned, actually. I recall it being mentioned before. Still, even with Barney's severe manipulation, I thought it was a great way to finally knot them back together, since it fits with Barney's personality and got Robin to sort her shit out (especially since that awful break up they had. Seriously, that was probably the worst episode in the series)

Marshall and Lily can still make me laugh from time to time, though I guess it's because they behave a lot like the majority of my family.

Also, nobody commented on it, but I think the "Property of Ted Mosby" episode was great. Felt like one of the more classic HIMYM episodes.

I also love Robin screaming at Patrice.

Does no one else think the play was incredibly manipulative and creepy. Absolutely toying with her emotions and generally just testing her feelings for him. If I was her I would be pissed off, and would feel totally used.

A lot of the stuff in HIMYM is pretty creepy and sometimes downright mean when you get down to it. This was lampshaded by Kevin the psychologist.

Just watched it.

I like to think Barney's plan only started at "I'm going to stop trying to get you". Very hard to believe it started before then.

I saw it coming from the moment the WWW building was mentioned, actually. I recall it being mentioned before. Still, even with Barney's severe manipulation, I thought it was a great way to finally knot them back together, since it fits with Barney's personality and got Robin to sort her shit out (especially since that awful break up they had. Seriously, that was probably the worst episode in the series)

Marshall and Lily can still make me laugh from time to time, though I guess it's because they behave a lot like the majority of my family.

Also, nobody commented on it, but I think the "Property of Ted Mosby" episode was great. Felt like one of the more classic HIMYM episodes.

I liked the Property of Mosby too.

I also still like the show :p

I thought it was a good episode. Not particularly funny (although GODDAMMIT PATRICE!!!! gets me every time~), but still good, almost like HIMYM of old.

I guessed that Barney might have been going to propose to Robin, but didn't work out that Patrice was in on it, so i thought he was just going to be an incredible dick to her, but hey, it's only Patrice!

Oh, boy...

That better be the Season where we get to see Ted's relationship with the mother.

Well this is bound to annoy most...

How I Met Your Mother renewed for season 9

And in unrelated news. This may be coincidental but interesting nonetheless:

tumblr_mffex2gfLm1rnd8bbo1_500.jpg

HIMYM's subtle use of colour in things like this is actually really, really good television. The programme has a depth to it that not a lot of other sitcoms do.

DAMMIT SEGAL. I LOVE YOU LIKE CRAZY, BUT YOU JUST FUCKED IT ALL UP.

To hell with this show. Let me know when season 73 is over so I can watch the rest of it.

And in unrelated news. This may be coincidental but interesting nonetheless:

tumblr_mffex2gfLm1rnd8bbo1_500.jpg

That is pretty damned awesome.

Also YAY for a season 9 :D

Season 9... really. Can we bring back the horse flogging gif just for this?