NEurope
Mokong

How I Met Your Mother

So you guys really liked this season's opener?

I liked it, I didn't say it was uber awesome but it sufficed.

You didn't find it lame that Marshall and Lily totally played on the same joke for an entire episode? And it was the same joke we'd seen before through Barney's "boob-vision"? Honestly Jason Segel is starting to look embarrassed to be part of this show.

Did get played out a bit I'll agree there which is why I didn't describe it as an awesome or amazing or great ep.

It didn't bother you that some of Barney's 1-minute-story was just wrong? (Robin went to Argentina, not Brazil. Barney got hit by a bus, not Ted)

I picked up on the Brazil error but I put that down to Barney not being the best when it comes to countries that aren't the USA.

Didn't pick up on the Ted/Bus error though, could put it down to him bluring his story in trying to speak so fast, maybe he didn't want to admit to being so blind as to not see a bus and getting hit by it (though I'm surprised he didn't play for teh symphaty card)...or more likely the actor or script writer messed up the line and nobody noticed, it was still a good scene in teh delivery anyway.

You didn't predict that Robin would end that wedding freakout sentence with the typical HIMYM joke format "oh, x is good. that's good. oh btw y is bad"?

Predictable yes but it served its purpose to set up the rest of the story (which at that point became a story in a story in a story I think? :heh:)

You didn't predict that Quinn was going to be in the room and hear about Barney and Robin's past? (Honestly though I didn't think they'd put her sitting down behind the door, who does that? Out of shot would've been fine. And funnier.)

I actually thought she would hear it on the monitor and was expecting a "I can still hear you guys" or similar to come from the monitor Marshall was holding or her to walk into the room holding the other monitor.

Oh and lol at people thinking Victoria = Mother. You don't really believe that. Not only would it be ridiculous, but Klaus' speech about "the one that's not quite the one you're destined to be with", was clearly an eye-opener for Ted.

No we don't believe that, its (painfully) obvious it is not her....be we WANT it to be her because Victoria is :love:

Seriously their gonna have to come up with one hell of a character and one hell of an actress to come up with a better woman for Ted than Victoria.

I'm actually hoping we meet the mother this season and get a short 9th season to end things nicely that would let us get to know the mother and find out why she is so perfect and what lenghts Ted might have gone to to "win her over"...seriously if this is "the one" he'll have to top all the crap he did for Robin to show how much he loves this "future mother"

Edited by Mokong

Ok. I know I ranted, but I figured now was the time to point out where this show has gone downhill for me, while it was fresh in everyone's mind and I had some specific examples :p

I'm still going to keep watching. I can't not watch this show. But I really hoped they would have done the right thing, bring in a new group of experienced writers and make sure this is the last season, going out in style. Just imagine if it became the one to watch, not amongst the fans but amongst the critics, because they really pulled it round in the end. You never hear that, it would have been nice.

It didn't bother you that some of Barney's 1-minute-story was just wrong? (Robin went to Argentina, not Brazil. Barney got hit by a bus, not Ted)

True_story_barney.jpg

It's Barney "Sweden-is-France" Stinson. I thought that was intentional.

(Though "Ted got hit by a bus" must've been a slip-up. I honestly didn't notice it until you pointed it out, either)

You didn't predict that Quinn was going to be in the room and hear about Barney and Robin's past? (Honestly though I didn't think they'd put her sitting down behind the door, who does that? Out of shot would've been fine. And funnier.)

So, a predictable joke being executed unexpectedly is less funny than what they do most of the time? You're being maddeningly inconsistent, here :heh:

Oh and lol at people thinking Victoria = Mother. You don't really believe that. Not only would it be ridiculous, but Klaus' speech about "the one that's not quite the one you're destined to be with", was clearly an eye-opener for Ted.

Hm, are you talking about us? Because I think that was just Mokong being hopelessly hopeful.

EDIT: What the, where did all these posts come from? Anyway, since Mokong is also talking outside of Spoiler tags, we should really settle on whether we should use them or not.

EDIT: What the, where did all these posts come from? Anyway, since Mokong is also talking outside of Spoiler tags, we should really settle on whether we should use them or not.

AH yeah sorry I forgot about teh spoilers since Shorty didn't use them...I blame Shorty its always his fault......unless I need him to fix something in which case it's never his fault and he is a god among men

...there that should be enough backtracking and sucking up....wait why am I still typinggggggggg

My opinion has always been spoiler tags only need to be used until the episode/movie has aired. If you can't stay out of this thread at that point it's your own lack of willpower to blame. And I'm sticking with it so ner!

Ok. I know I ranted, but I figured now was the time to point out where this show has gone downhill for me, while it was fresh in everyone's mind and I had some specific examples :p

I'm still going to keep watching. I can't not watch this show. But I really hoped they would have done the right thing, bring in a new group of experienced writers and make sure this is the last season, going out in style. Just imagine if it became the one to watch, not amongst the fans but amongst the critics, because they really pulled it round in the end. You never hear that, it would have been nice.

This is how i felt about quite a lot of shows.....Lost, House, Desperate Housewives, etc etc...

My opinion has always been spoiler tags only need to be used until the episode/movie has aired. If you can't stay out of this thread at that point it's your own lack of willpower to blame. And I'm sticking with it so ner!

But it doesn't air until November.

In the UK? Who cares about that? If you don't know how to watch it the day it's available you're probably not capable of opening a forum thread, so problem solved.

So, a predictable joke being executed unexpectedly is less funny than what they do most of the time? You're being maddeningly inconsistent, here :heh:

It was executed poorly, not unexpectedly. Using hindsight to say how it could've been funnier is not the same as being surprised by how it was done.

So you guys really liked this season's opener?

You didn't find it lame that Marshall and Lily totally played on the same joke for an entire episode? And it was the same joke we'd seen before through Barney's "boob-vision"? Honestly Jason Segel is starting to look embarrassed to be part of this show.

You didn't predict that Robin would end that wedding freakout sentence with the typical HIMYM joke format "oh, x is good. that's good. oh btw y is bad"?

Literally the only part I laughed at was the conversation with Klaus. There was some genuine comedy in there, especially the line about Kindergarten and inconsistency.

Could it be possible that you guys just see a yellow umbrella in an episode and convince yourself that the rest of it was epic?

You're enablers! Don't be a "classic schmosby" quoter who lets them get away with dragging this to a 9th season.

If you don't enjoy it... Don't watch it?

In the UK? Who cares about that? If you don't know how to watch it the day it's available you're probably not capable of opening a forum thread, so problem solved.

If we aren't to use spoiler tags until after an episode has aired what are we meant to use them for? There's nothing to spoil before that.

There's no harm in putting them in spoiler tags, people might come in by mistake or not even know there was a new episode.

I will continue putting everything in spoiler tags about the episode regardless of whether its been shown in the UK or not.

No spoilers before it airs? o_O trailers, rumours, interviews, set photos, staff tweets, leaked information...

As I've said before, I'm invested in it. I want to know how it ends, and it started off well. If I was reading a book and the first three quarters were good, and then it plummeted in quality, I'd still keep reading to see how it ends.

Same reason I finished Mass Effect 3 even though people said the finale was awful. I'd been playing these games for 5 years, I can't just not know where it all goes.

Also I don't know before I start watching an episode that it isn't going to suddenly get better.

Edited by Shorty

I like spoiler tags because it means you can still read the posts that aren't about spoilers. So you can see what the general consensus on The Dark Knight Returns is without having to worry about having the plot spoiled or if someone has a question about an older episode of How I Met Your Mother you can answer it even though you're one week behind, without having to worry about people openly discussing the shocking plot twist where it's revealed that Lily is the mother.

I'm actually hoping we meet the mother this season and get a short 9th season to end things nicely

Or we could meet the mother at some point during this season, giving them plenty of time to wrap things up without dragging it out for another season.

I don't think I could take another season of How I Met Your Mother. It's bad enough NBC decided that The Office just had to have a ninth season.

At least How I Met Your Mother probably won't get a spin-off.

I don't think I could take another season of How I Met Your Mother. It's bad enough NBC decided that The Office just had to have a ninth season.

Was The Office as bad as Scrubs (in terms of the last season)?

Well, we're only two episodes into season 9, but... probably not? :p

It's been more of a steep decline since season 5 or so, and the show lost all hope of ending on a good note when it kept going after Steve Carell left.

And unlike Scrubs, the spin-off will be its own separate entity focusing on just one character going off to run a bed and breakfast, rather than the mess of old and new character the last season of Scrubs was.

The opening was a bit dull but they often are. They're overfilled with grand narratives, but as the season gets into the swing of things it tends to get better.

Hmm didn't see all the posts above this when I replies.

Anyway part of me hopes we don't get to know the mother. She's the perfect woman for Ted, not us. The more we see of her the more the fans will moan "she's not as funny as Robin" or "not as hot as Victoria".

Edited by Ashley

J1uAd.png

They do never confirm that the kids on the sofa are actually his....

They refer to him as "Dad" quite often. Also, its already been shown they are sitting in the derelict house that Ted bought and renovated.

I really enjoyed that episode...

Spent the whole episode hoping that it wouldn't be Ted and Victoria who broke up!

There's still hope!

Also realised that Arthur Hobbs is Saul from Breaking Bad for the first time too.

I was a little surprised they dropped Barney and Quinn this quickly after the series 7 finale. Of course we knew it wouldn't last, but I expected it to go on for longer than two episodes.

:heh: Still, overall it was a really good episode, and Barney did learn something from the relationship, so it didn't feel pointless.

I did not recognise Victoria at first with that hair cut.

Me neither, but I thought she looked really hot and far better than the past few episodes!

I really enjoyed that episode...

Spent the whole episode hoping that it wouldn't be Ted and Victoria who broke up!

There's still hope!

Also realised that Arthur Hobbs is Saul from Breaking Bad for the first time too.

I saw "Saul" and could only think of Saul Tigh from BSG and somehow thought you were confusing the name of Nicks actor (Michael Trucco)

Clearly I'm starting to suffer BSG withdrawl :heh:

I'm just waiting for them to make some sort of a BSG reference with Nick, like they did when Hurley was on it and they kept referencing Lost.

They should give him a surname and make it Anderson for luls

Or give him a guitar and have him play All Along The Watchtower...then say something about how awesome the song is and how he wished he could have written a song like it.

Man that would be awesome

Edited by Mokong

I did not recognise Victoria at first with that hair cut.

I can't say I noticed Victoria's hair.