NEurope
Mokong

How I Met Your Mother

Also what's the deal with trying to be the show that says penis and vagina all the time. Is there an award for this that I am unaware of? Are they trying to break a record? Why would he keep saying these things to his kids?

My mates went on about it for ages and I finally gave it a go earlier this year. I hated it at first but I kept watching it while having my tea at 5pm every night and it kinda grew on me. It's still not a patch on The Big Bang Theory, which I find hilarious. Geek refrences FTW!

Then you should watch Community, which is actually full of geek references rather than pandering. :heh:

Also what's the deal with trying to be the show that says penis and vagina all the time. Is there an award for this that I am unaware of? Are they trying to break a record? Why would he keep saying these things to his kids?

I assume there's parts that we, as the audience see and hear, but not his kids ('The Belt' being a good example of one I think only we see/hear).

Anyway I enjoy the show. It's not the best out there but it has a nice friendly feel. You've known these characters for years so it feels like catching up with old friends.

Plus the show knows how to emotionally kick you in the gut now and then.

Penis.

Edited by Ashley

Plus the show knows how to emotionally kick you in the gut now and then.

Penis.

The "countdown" episode still makes me teary :cry:

Can't remember the actual ep name, doubt it is "countdown" but I'm sure you know which ep I mean ... plus the ep after that too :cry:

It was called Bad News.

The Christmas episode was also brutal. In fact there was a lot of brutality this year.

Barney went on Countdown? Did he bang that hot chick who replaced Carol?

Wouldn't be surrpised if he did in the new season...when that start by the way?... he was on the Price is Right previously, they should get him on more gameshows, I'd love to see him boss Countdown like he did Price is Right :D

I always wonder did they record the reaction of the "Future Kids" for when they get to the end of the show already and have it saved on a hard drive somewhere waiting for the day.

As I assume by the time they do get to the end of the show, be it season 8 or later the actors playing Teds Kids will be a lot older (unless they turn it into a joke about how long it took him to tell the story they feel like they aged (insert number of seasons it lasted) years in the time it took him to tell it.

Also I only just realised the girl who plays Teds daughter was the girl from Kick-Ass who became Kick-Ass'/Dave's girlfriend :heh:

I always wonder did they record the reaction of the "Future Kids" for when they get to the end of the show already and have it saved on a hard drive somewhere waiting for the day.

Yes, they've stated that they've already filmed the ending with the kids.

This is common knowledge, Mokong. :heh:

As I assume by the time they do get to the end of the show, be it season 8 or later the actors playing Teds Kids will be a lot older (unless they turn it into a joke about how long it took him to tell the story they feel like they aged (insert number of seasons it lasted) years in the time it took him to tell it.

Also I only just realised the girl who plays Teds daughter was the girl from Kick-Ass who became Kick-Ass'/Dave's girlfriend :heh:

In fairness Lyndsy Fonseca doesn't appear to have aged much over the last eight years so she could probably get away with it. The son probably couldn't.

Although they are now using Josh Radnor's voice rather than Bob Saget. #randomfact

Yes, they've stated that they've already filmed the ending with the kids.

This is common knowledge, Mokong. :heh:

Well I'm not Common :heh:

:blush::(

I'll only be impressed if the Mother turns out to be Marshall. After all these years, it's gonna take some casting to live up to the expectation.

Personally I don't give a damn about the mother. They could go all Sopranos on us and not reveal her for all I care :heh:

I just caught up with this show, I wasn't aware there was no Season 8 so I just plowed on with it.

It really is an awful, awful show. The writing is just horrendous. I feel like it's being written by some twenty-somethings in college. All the jokes follow exactly the same format.

I don't know why I watched so much of it.

Say what, now?! :p I find the writing to be some of the most brilliant I've seen in a sitcom. The storytelling is really on a completely different level than in most comedy series.

It was (their use of time/narrative in the first few seasons were great). Now it's kind of petering out.

The writing is fine, but the creative playfullness has died down.

I think it is suffering from the same problem Friends eventually succumbed to. The jokes were harder to produce but to compensate the viewers had a more vested interested in the characters and their development.

Maybe the problem was that I was watching several in a row. It really highlights the repetition in the comedy.

Jokes have one of a few formats:

1. Someone promises something, we instantly cut to that promise being broken.

2. Barney says something like "challenge accepted", the others try wearily to point out there was no challenge.

3. Someone tries to claim something, realises they're wrong mid sentence and interrupts themselves with "ok no actually that is pretty awesome", or similar.

4. Robin doesn't realise nobody has heard of the Canadian thing she thinks is a big deal.

5. Ted forgets or omits a part of the story and it is visually represented as a blur or a funny word or a sandwich.

This is really just criticism of the jokes. The romance and the overall plot has been decent up until Season 7 where it has also gone way downhill. People cycle through relationships like nobody's business, and Ted's sudden confession to Robin was both unbelievable and lacked any of the charm that made the opening episode great. The characters are very empty too, with the possible exception of Nora, whose exit probably had the best impact of anything in the season.

I hope they end it at 8 so it doesn't become any more contrived. And bring in some new writers, and avoid falling into comfort zones of bro jokes. They also stole a tonne of jokes from Friends this season.

Worst joke of the whole season: Robin breaking the fourth wall. Not just for the subject matter, but the whole self-referential joke where you point something out then ironically represent it in your own situation... has been played to death.

I don't really agree on the humour since I find it hilarious, but I guess that's very subjective.

The confession to Robin did seem to come out of nowhere, but it also seemed like that was entirely intential - even Ted was surprised when Victoria brought it up - in order to put the final nail in that coffin. Then Marshall ended the episode by saying he hadn't given up on them yet, and that sort of ruined it a bit for me.

Isn't she also the bad ass chick in Nikita?

It was a struggle to get through the last season, add to that I've watched a couple of them randomly on E4 and I've completely forgotten what's going on.

Was Barney getting married or something? Or did that turn out to be something else?

For a series that I once loved so much, I really can't be bothered with it now.

Another thing that gets me is blurring the lines of surrealism. The world is sometimes fantastical, insane even. And when that perfect moment or the fated meeting happens, it will feel less special because, lets face it, this is a ridiculous world where anything can happen if the writers say so. You can write a surreal comedy by all means, but you can't expect to tell a sincere romance in the same universe.

This is made more acceptable if you tell yourself that we're watching Ted's retelling of the story, and he could be embellishing or exaggerating. Great, sorted. Until they start blurring the line. Case in point: Marvin's middle name.

It was a struggle to get through the last season, add to that I've watched a couple of them randomly on E4 and I've completely forgotten what's going on.

Was Barney getting married or something? Or did that turn out to be something else?

For a series that I once loved so much, I really can't be bothered with it now.

Barney proposed to the stripper, but the wedding we flashed forward to during the season was between him and Robin.

Marshall and Lily had their first child.

Ted decided to give his relationship with Victoria another shot.

Robin probably did something? I can't remember. All I remember of Robin this season is her being barren and having an ugly haircut.

@Magnus Holy shit... I definitely missed a few episodes if that's the case :P Maybe I didn't watch the whole series after all!