NEurope
Mokong

How I Met Your Mother

As if anyone would actually be upset about there being a season 9? Wrapping up meeting the mother in the remaining episodes of s8 would have been shite. This is the only show besides game of thrones that I actually watch.. How could anyone want it to end? :(

also, i cried like a girl in the last episode =/

How could anyone want it to end? :(

Some of us watch more than two TV shows? :p

Anyway, they've been writing the season up to this point as if it were the last, but now they're going to have to go with plan B and drag things out for another year. And they would have had 12-ish episodes to wrap things up. If this had been a cable show, that would have been an entire season!

As if anyone would actually be upset about there being a season 9? Wrapping up meeting the mother in the remaining episodes of s8 would have been shite.

Didn't want them to wrap it up in the remaining episodes of s8... wanted them to start wrapping it up at the beginning of s8.

Some of us watch more than two TV shows? :p

Anyway, they've been writing the season up to this point as if it were the last, but now they're going to have to go with plan B and drag things out for another year. And they would have had 12-ish episodes to wrap things up. If this had been a cable show, that would have been an entire season!

Mmm, I somehow think they've been planning a 9th season all along ;)

I'm one of those tragics who just never wants TV shows to end. I get so attached to the characters... Friends, Scrubs.. Heroes! Was over the moon to hear there was going to be a 9th season of HIMYM :)

Maybe you should watch The Simpsons.

They would have had to have been pretty foolish to not prepare for season 8 being the last season considering how everyone's contract was up and Jason Segel seemed really reluctant to return.

Anyway, I fully expect most of season 9 being wasted on storylines that go nowhere, with the actual wrapping up starting a few episodes before the end.

I don't know if I could stomach an entire season with the mother. We already know that they end up together, so it'd be nothing but them spending time with each other and enjoying each other's company? There's no drama in that. Or maybe they'd get into a big argument and break up at some point, but there'd be no drama in that either, because we know they'll get back together.

Well, I guess it would be fitting to do the exact opposite of the rest of Ted's relationships for the final season. :p

Saw this thread pop up. I've actually only just started watching this...they are all on Netflix now. Only half way through season 2 so still a long way to go.

I don't know if I could stomach an entire season with the mother. We already know that they end up together, so it'd be nothing but them spending time with each other and enjoying each other's company? There's no drama in that. Or maybe they'd get into a big argument and break up at some point, but there'd be no drama in that either, because we know they'll get back together.

Well, has it been said that they meet and it works out immediately? It could be a season of him trying to win her over.

Yeah, but do we really need/want an entire season of that? I'd be satisfied with Ted trying to win her heart in a one-hour series finale. They meet, go on a date/get together, things don't work out for some reason, Ted makes a great gesture to win her back. I think it would be a lot more bearable in concentrated form, rather than dragged out over nine months. Include some time jumps and we'll see enough of their relationship to be satisfied.

But maybe they'll surprise is with a twist that makes it all worth it!

Only half way through season 2 so still a long way to go.

Do yourself a favour and stop after Season 2.

I think it's better watching all at once. Feels less like it's dragging on :p

Tales has a point. You should just cut your losses and run, Flameboy. :heh:

Not what I meant :p

Well, no, of course not. But he's halfway through season 2, so it's too late to not watch it at all. ;)

I think it's better watching all at once.

Hey, it worked for Shorty!

It could be a red herring, but looks like we won't be meeting the mother until the very end (in spite of the show continuing for another year):

How I Met Your Mother‘s official Season 9 renewal announcement is imminent. “I will be very happy to report in a very few days that things will be resolved,” confirmed Tassler. “We’re very confident and excited that things will work out. Almost everything is completed.” Asked whether Season 9 would be the show’s swan song, Tassler said, “It’s funny, we talked the other day [about], ‘[Will] people watch the show beyond knowing the mother?’ I bet there are a lot of people that would continue to watch after that. But right now, it’d be the end as designed by [co-creators] Carter [bays] and Craig [Thomas], and I wouldn’t want to even attempt to undermine what their creative goal was.”
- Source

dooooop.

okay, so we've seen a foot and a hand + forearm now, and she plays the bass... :P I still picture her as being a blonde for some reason, even though ted stated that stella couldn't have been the mum because of the blonde hair etc... *shrug*

In the early episodes it was implied that the mother was at the train station that ted had ended up with after Victoria's bailed wedding right? :s I wonder how that's going to get tied in.

Just watcehd ep 13

Really enjoyed that, nice mix of humor and raw emotion.

Though I can't believe Ted is still hung up on Robin after him pushing her towards Barney in the previous ep.

Hopefully how his last scene with Robin at the bar in this ep went it was to show him finally letting go (or at least starting).

Was very good that they tied the "mother" into being the bass player of the band though. Great little twist to the whole "band vs DJ" thing which I thought was just being used as something Ted clutched at to avoid how he really felt (which is was), but it had that extra deeper meaning.

dooooop.

okay, so we've seen a foot and a hand + forearm now, and she plays the bass... :P I still picture her as being a blonde for some reason, even though ted stated that stella couldn't have been the mum because of the blonde hair etc... *shrug*

My guess is either Ted never worked up the courage to talk to her at the wedding...or never got the chance (band too busy playing... him having to help Barney or someone else with something). And by a stroke of extra luck both him and her end up at the trainstation.

Or the band leaves before he can talk to her, his makes several attempts to do so but keeps getting "blocked" somehow. But overhears she had plans to take a train from Farhampton Station. He rushes to meet her there before she leaves. But when he gets there a train has just left and teh station is empty. He sits on the bench and is joined by teh old lady who we saw him talking to in ep 1 of this season, believing he got there too late to stop/find the bass player. And then she arrives in the taxi which was delayed for some reason.

I think that 2nd scenario could very well happen :D

In the early episodes it was implied that the mother was at the train station that ted had ended up with after Victoria's bailed wedding right? :s I wonder how that's going to get tied in.

God damn it Alyson Hannigan don't do this to me! There's something about seeing her get upsets that hurts me so.

I think it's natural that Ted is still conflicted about Robin. How many of us have said "oh I'm so over X" and then later see/think about them and wax nostalgic?

I did see someone earlier saying that HIMYM hasn't artificially dragged out the story to get more years, but rather it's always been that Ted would never be able to meet (and appreciate) the mother until he really could let go of Robin and it's taken him 7 years to do that.

One thing that would really annoy me is

if they dragged out the wedding for another year. Didn't they first mention it something like four seasons ago (with the twist "oh, this wedding wasn't that one")?

See my post a few up from here.

But what did the co-creators plan for the end?

How I read that was "they planned for the end of the show to be the meeting of the mother".

Although they have written themselves into somewhat of a corner, with them having confirmed they meet on the day of the wedding, which they've now confirmed is May 25th. Unless they meet and then we don't see her again until next May.

How I read that was "they planned for the end of the show to be the meeting of the mother".

Although they have written themselves into somewhat of a corner, with them having confirmed they meet on the day of the wedding, which they've now confirmed is May 25th. Unless they meet and then we don't see her again until next May.

Someone told me this on Reddit so could be way off but apparently the writers have said that he isn't just going to meet the mother and that's it. There's going to be a story there.

I think we won't see the Mother on the day/episode of the wedding, the camera angles will keep showing more and more of her and then BAM. Season ends. It then picks up after the Wedding with Ted at the station.

Edited by Charlie