NEurope
Daft

Headphones

I need help. My beautiful headphones are dying. They lasted a good two years so they've had a good innings (I wear my headphones at all times).

I'm looking to spend around £100 - maybe a little more. I don't want Bose ones because their build quality is shitty. I love the look of these Grado SR801s but they're open back so spill a lot of sound.

grado6.png

Basically I need good headphones (bass is very important), they need to be durable (thick connectors and wires), not spill much noise and not look too shabby.

Any recommendations?

I'm happy with my Sony MDR-300 phones. They sound great, although they're much lower price so they may not be up to snuff.

Sorry to cash in on the situation, but if anyone could find me a good pair in the region of £50 that would be most splendid.

I'm happy with my Sony MDR-300 phones. They sound great, although they're much lower price so they may not be up to snuff.

Those were the first headphones I had. They're not great.

Sorry to cash in on the situation, but if anyone could find me a good pair in the region of £50 that would be most splendid.

Get a pair of WESC Bongo Headphones.

Those were the first headphones I had. They're not great.

Well they sound great until you (I) hear better.

Id recommend some Sennheiser HD 555's or better. Just got a pair they sound tremendous and although they cover your ears , they dont actually touch them (unless you have huge ears)

Another 555 owner here. Fantastic cans! Just a shame that they're open back.

Goldring NS1000? Not as good as the 555s, SR60 or SR801 for sure but a steal at £49.99! If you're not in a massive rush then it might also be worth keeping an eye on Play.com, they've had some real bargains in the past (HD595s were £150 at one point, came so close to upgrading my 555s!).

I had a set of Sennheiser PC166s admittedly its a gaming headset but they were cracking and lastest 3 years. I just had to replace them with a downgrade to Creative Fatality's. I can only imagine what a dedicate set of headphones by Sennheiser sound like.

They're all open, though.

Does anyone know about the Bose TriPort On-Ear Headphones?

p_triport_OE_l_tcm6-8589.jpg

I know I said I didn't want Bose after the awful problem wire problems with the Around Ear model but this looks more solid and they are on Amazon for £102.

I might just bite the bullet and get the Gradi SR80i. A couple questions, would I be able to listen to them in the library if the volume was right down waaay low (as in next to zero)? And anyone know what the build quality is like?

Edited by Daft

I've got HD215's and they are superb :)

sennheiser are quality when it comes to cans

That was my last pair. They sounded awesome but i dropped them a few (ok, a few dozen) times on hardwood floor and they finally fizzled out.

Audio Technica ATH-M50? A little over your budget at £130-£140 but they sound like they're bang on what you're after. Closed back, good isolation, coiled cable (replaceable, can always swap it for a shorter one if needed) and they fold down. I've no idea what they sound like but the above features make them sound like near-perfect portable cans.

http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?q=audio+technica+ath-m50&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=14094438021096303502&ei=8IijTKaWO8PO4AaWuLGTAw&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CDAQ8wIwAg#ps-sellers

Might get a pair myself, seem to have lost my ear buds at some point this week :(

Edited by McPhee

FFS!

I've only had these WESC Bongos for 3 weeks and now only one half of it works - the sound has just cut from the right headphone/can thing.

No solutions to be found online other than buy a new pair.... Bullshit.

FFS!

I've only had these WESC Bongos for 3 weeks and now only one half of it works - the sound has just cut from the right headphone/can thing.

No solutions to be found online other than buy a new pair.... Bullshit.

Why can't you return them? Or call WESC?

Unfortunately I cannot vouch personally on these headphones, but I've had my eyes on this pair for a couple of months and I'm just waiting to have enough spare money to be able to afford it. The reviews from many sites including What Hifi gave it 5 stars even when it was going for £100-£150.

Goldring NS1000:

8A887A13DC5521CD7CCB9751B9A332.jpg

http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/4-/8240767/Goldring-NS1000-Active-Noise-Reduction-Cancelling-Headphones/Product.html?searchstring=goldring&searchtype=allproducts&searchsource=0&urlrefer=search

Hmmm, I've recently been thinking of getting a real good headset as well.

A month back I used Koss Porta Pro, but now I'm rocking some old Koss UR-40's.

Good headset, I just wish they were able to play a little louder while I DJ.

My dream headset would have 5.1 possibilities for gaming, cover my ears, but not be ridicolously big (like Roccat Kave) and still have awesome sound (like Roccat Kave).

I'm not sure if such a headset even exists cause there's a lot of contradictions between my wishes, but I'd imagine it'd cost a fortune.

Any of the ones mentioned up till now qualify?