NEurope
ipaul

Rate the song above.

Love Pj Harvey, love her overwhelming insecurity, a lot of it directed towards her appearance which is what I was initally attracted to when I first started listening to her. She reminds me of a sort of female version of Jeff Buckley. On that note:

Bard, you're great.

I have to be in a certain mood to sit down and listen to a lot of his stuff at once, but Jeff Buckley is great. Gorgeous stuff. I was a little bit obsessed with Everyone Here Wants You a while back.

---

I sincerely loved that. I'm in the perfect mood to listen to something a little more sombre like that. The live instruments were great too. A mixture of string instruments and piano is my favorite combination :) Their voices were nice too, they sounded very Irish. I found myself just slowly drifting my head, very dream-like.

Just found out that Duffy's and Adele's new albums' are on the way soon. Well, Duffy's is already out which is much better than the 1st from what I've heard. Adele has 2 songs out. They're just...:indeed:

Not exactly ground-breaking but amazing nonetheless.

I like the fact she's not a skeletal wraith and doesn't care, as it should be. Her voice is powerful too but I always have an issue with how a lot of artists like herself get produced into something lesser than that of which they are capable.

EDIT: Sorry that was a bit too much about her in general. With regards to the video above, she gave a great performance.

----

This is sadly not the best quality, but I love. An issue I have with it myself though is the bridge/solo is a bit lazy and detracts. The vocal however...just take me now. I love it when covers aren't just someone singing along with the karaoke backing track, but take it in a new direction.

Edited by Razz

Interesting interpretation. A lot more sedate, which I guess might be appropriate considering the lyrical content, but I think it works much better in the original. Ian Curtis' voice is pretty much an emotionless backdrop set against quite a sensual and punkishly energetic melody, which is thematically appropriate to my interpretation of a lot of Joy Division's music being about not finding assonance with the world. Also, don't like the way she enunciates, but that's getting very nitpicky.

And now, a song from one of the most important albums (at least to me) ever. Crank it up and wave your arms like its the second summer of love, because this is beautiful:

Quite nice. The lyrics paint a beautiful vivid picture that matches nicely the melody.

9/10

--

Haha, brilliant! I love world music so I enjoyed that. In a way it's so bad it's good. Although it's not something I'd listen to all the time it would be great to dance to drunk :p

It was alright. I wasn't stunned.

--

This is possibly the campest, greatest, most brilliant reworking of a song I've ever heard. I don't know if I love it for it's insanity and atrocity, or whether I genuinely like it. Probably the latter. Reminds me of really bad Christmas parties. Which may have been the intention. The 90's club beats. Yes. *bobs up and down*

In fairness to the woman, she was almost 70 years old when she sang that :p

I understand and respect your viewpoint though :)

Mariah Carey... would not normally give her the time of day, but for you Paj, I make an exception =p. I often find that any appeal that vocalists from what I call the "contemporary-homogenous" school of singing, (you know the school of technically-accomplished-but-slightly-devoid-of-personality, represented by Leona Lewis etc) comes from either the background music or singers. The songs are ostensibly sold on the strength of the leading vocalists vocal personality, which I generally find to be a bit lacking. What I did kinda like was the vocal harmonies, they were pretty sweet. The song reminded me of walking into Woolworths in the middle of the christmas shopping season. You have a weird thing with dance pop dude. Like, cudgel your eardrums with some thumping 4/4 beats :heh:

Since we're speaking of someone who is sold partly on the strength of amazing backing music and vocalists:

My favourite thing these days is to be raped aurally by Ke$ha and her partners in shit-music-making crime. Then getting really angry when shit people say they hate Laura Marling or think Radiohead are boring.

I'm actually quite relieved when I go to my SU and they play Tik Tok by Ke$ha. Massive choon when you're off yer rocker =p (mostly because it reminds me a little of Theeee Parttttyyy by Justice). Share the sentiment on shit people, as always.

I actually loved that a little bit. Nicest new song I've heard in a while - I really need to listen to Talking Heads, I've ignored them for too long.

Ahhhhhhh :)

that 'heads video is from Stop Making Sense, which is an absolutely slick album. It's all live, and I prefer their stage versions to most of the studio recordings; they're warmer, with more funk and depth.

I actually loved that a little bit. Nicest new song I've heard in a while - I really need to listen to Talking Heads, I've ignored them for too long.

Ahhhhhhh :)

Great song that. Big fan of it. Anyway, my contribution:

Finally got hold of High Violet so need to give it a full listen but this has been a constant play for me through the last couple of months.

Great song that. Big fan of it. Anyway, my contribution:

Finally got hold of High Violet so need to give it a full listen but this has been a constant play for me through the last couple of months.

Brilliant track from a brilliant album. England is perhaps my favourite...

8/10.

Skip this to 3:30, this particular song is an amalgamation of several "songs", and the one part I want rated only starts at 3:30.

Musically it was really pretty. The vocals and the way they layered and repeated created a sort of hypnotic Animal Collective esque effect where I kinda just glazed over in a sort of trance like state.

I should stop picking tracks that nobody wants to rate =p.

Edited by The Bard

I liked it after the first couple of minutes and then the lyrics started, some of the singing is good but the shouting is a bit misplaced for me.

Absolutely adore this song, saw it in an episode of ER many years ago (coincidentally the episode is named after the song) and loved it straightaway. Ignore the contents of the video, was the first one I came across :heh:

I liked that :) I used to always watch Charmed when I was younger so the video helped :p Not the best piece of music I've heard but better than a lot.

Edited by Frank

That is one of my favourites from The Fame Monster, but while that album is considerably better than The Fame, I'm just a bit sick of her. :/ I wish she were as good as she puts hersef across as.

Still someone I want to see in the charts/around, but I hope she does something a little more genuinely avant-garde rather than just very normal pop music.

---

I should stop picking tracks that nobody wants to rate =p.

It's already been rated but I thought I'd chime in on this one, mainly because I bloody love the song. Bought Cosmology on a whim after it came out and didn't expect much but it's one of my favourite albums of the year. Still need to get hold of Hysterics but Rolo Tomassi were one of my biggest surprises of this year with that album.

That is one of my favourites from The Fame Monster, but while that album is considerably better than The Fame, I'm just a bit sick of her. :/ I wish she were as good as she puts hersef across as.

Still someone I want to see in the charts/around, but I hope she does something a little more genuinely avant-garde rather than just very normal pop music.

---

This is ridiclously epic. I thought i'd hate it at first but i've always had a soft spot for kylie, pretty much since that 'Can't get you out of my head' video :heh: Love the song though.

As someone who has only put one toe in the pool of hip-hop I have no issues saying that that was, possibly, my favorite song to rate on this thread. I never "liked" hip-hop or just never really got into it but I loved that! :D Maybe it's because it's slightly jazzy.

The beat and the chorus with the girls voice = heaven.

( I even pressed "repeat")

She's FINALLY BACK!! I know this was released in November or something...whatever. It's a strange tune but...it has charm...and I like it.

I've a feeling not many will "get" it or just think it's shite though :(