NEurope
chairdriver

Hit-and-miss Actors

So just watched Eyes Wide Shut.

eyes_wide_shut_ver2.jpg

I thought it was fantastic. Really gripping. And both lead actors -- Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman -- were fantastic, which was odd, considering I always had it in my head that they were both very bog-standard actors.

It seems they're both very hit-and-miss. I mean, Tom Cruise's most recent film Knight & Day wasn't bad, but it wasn't exactly a stellar performance...

Another that springs to mind is Nick Cage; he was outstanding in Adaptation, but I pretty much want him to die in every other movie I've seen him in.

THOUGHTS?!?

Nick Cage may not be the greatest actor there is, but most of his films are fun to watch at least.

For me, Brad Pitt. He's stellar in Fight Club and Burn After Reading, but then he does something like Troy and attempts an accent, and it just hurts to watch.

I imagine this might sound like heresy to some but....Morgan Freeman? Wonderful in The Shawshank Redemption, portentous and irritating in Wanted. Plus that March Of The Penguins crap, though that might not count.* The Wanted thing may well be writing that demands Freeman be like that, so it's probably a bit unfair of me, but what you going to do?

*Never actually seen MOTP =P

I'm just sick of Morgan Freeman being the same character in every film.

But Nicole Kidman is a good one actually. Very hit and miss.

Nicholas Cage pretty much defines what is a hit-and-miss actor.

Watching something like: Face-Off, Kick-ass and Bad Lietunenant and one might think that he is a stellar A-class level actor.

Then come films like: Ghostrider, Wicker Man, National treasure and so on.

Samuel L Jackson

He can go from Kill Bill to xXx,

he can go from 51st State to S.W.A.T

He can go from Unbreakable to Deep Blue Sea

He can go from Pulp Fiction to Jumper

He is an awesome actor that everybody likes, yet he is also the actor everyone says "Sam L Jackson is in this film, not surprised in the least"

Nicholas Cage pretty much defines what is a hit-and-miss actor.

Watching something like: Face-Off, Kick-ass and Bad Lietunenant and one might think that he is a stellar A-class level actor.

Then come films like: Ghostrider, Wicker Man, National treasure and so on.

Definitely, I can't figure out if he's actually a good actor who goes for bad roles or is just lucky enough to get given roles very suited to him, in kick-ass he was brilliant, perfect character but why on earth would you go for ghostrider, silly goose.

Nic Cage clearly just doesn't give a shit and will do anything. Watch Leaving Las Vegas for how good he can be when he wants to.

Hate to say it cos i love him, but: Christian Bale. Incredible in American Psycho, an abomination in Terminator Salvation. Mind you, that was more of a case of miscasting, but still... he could have at least tried to play it non-appallingly. Made me wonder "has this guy ever SEEN a Terminator film??". He was just such an arsehole in that role.

See to be quite a few other films he's done too, that didn't really suit him. But it's definitely more a case of bad choices than bad acting. The dude is clearly a stellar actor.

Brad Pitt is a really obvious example too. I just find him quite bland generally, but then he does an amazing role that makes you feel guilty for dismissing him. Fight Club and Burn After Reading come to mind. But then in other films he just seems like a blank slate.

Gary Oldman is an amazing actor, but has done a lot of awful films. Again, bad choices i think! Silly man!

So just watched Eyes Wide Shut.

eyes_wide_shut_ver2.jpg

I thought it was fantastic. Really gripping. And both lead actors -- Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman -- were fantastic, which was odd, considering I always had it in my head that they were both very bog-standard actors.

It seems they're both very hit-and-miss. I mean, Tom Cruise's most recent film Knight & Day wasn't bad, but it wasn't exactly a stellar performance...

Another that springs to mind is Nick Cage; he was outstanding in Adaptation, but I pretty much want him to die in every other movie I've seen him in.

THOUGHTS?!?

Go watch Magnolia. You'd love it, and it's Cruise's finest hour.

I also completely agree about Nick Cage. Well, I haven't actually seen Adaptation but I'm prepared for it to be the film that makes me hate him slightly less..

Arnie.

Awesome in Predator, Running Man, Commando, Jingle All The Way, Terminator, Raw Deal, Red Heat, Red Sonja, The Sixth Day, True Lies, Eraser, Last Action Hero, Conan, Twins, Junior, Kindergarten Cop, End Of Days, Total Recall, Batman And Robin, Collateral Damage and The Expendables

But truly awful in...

...oh, hang on...

I liked Nicholas Cage in Kick Ass. But that was only because he got burned alive.

Will Ferrell is pretty hit and miss. Anchorman is genius but I find him annoying in most other films.

National treasure .

what was people's problem with national treasure?

I'll never understand it, it wasn't THAT bad like.

He can go from Unbreakable to Deep Blue Sea

"

from shit to shit eh :D

Actors like Samuel L Jackson have earned their right to star in shitty movies and still demand your respect. Nicholas Cage is the same.

They probably take the quirkier roles because it's more fun than what they're used to doing. Hell, if you're earning that well and can have fun doing it I say power to you.

I remember a little interview in which Nick Cage basically says he just likes to play different characters. I'd guess that he just looks for roles he'd like to play rather than movies guaranteed to sell well.

My view on Nicolas Cage is that he acts the fuck out of any role, no matter how ridiculous it is/the script is. Him taking a comically bad role seriously makes it all the worse/funnier.