NEurope
Diageo

LGBT Society

There's a LGBT society in College, and I was thinking of going but I'm not sure. I can't join them anyway yet until the week after next one. But I was just wondering, what's the point. Would we all sit there and talk about being LGBT? I don't get what you do.

may I ask which college? I went to the one in university in Limerick to try it out about 4 years ago and meh not for me but I wish I kept at it. I'm getting slightly more into the scene every year.

Do you not switch positions? Granted when the straight community does it the same person is still penetrating so surely the gay community gets some form of equality with it?

Or does one just resume his role as bitch and take it?

Well in that specific case it seemed that they didn't swap round roles at all. This guy was pretty happy reinforcing the "bitch in the kitchen with no wealth of her own" stereotype.

I like doing both, and a probable majority of gay guys would do both.

[bottoming is obvs quite painful though, so I only do it for guys I really like.]

well, you know don't you? Plus most on N-E, so...I'm half? :p

A little off topic, but still suitable to the topic, DADT repeal was denied, yesterday I think. Shame, especially after this great speech. Haven't watched it in full yet but I'd say it's worth a watch

http://gagadaily.com/2010/09/lady-gaga-speaks-at-dont-ask-dont-tell-rally/#more-10680

I think you should make a new thread about that, it looks very interesting.

is what easily accomplished? sorry, I don't get what your replying to

This:

Yes, but that's a very facile way of looking at things.

may I ask which college? I went to the one in university in Limerick to try it out about 4 years ago and meh not for me but I wish I kept at it. I'm getting slightly more into the scene every year.

Dublin City University

maybe, but it kinda fits into this.

I'm surprised you didn't make a joke about my obsession with Gaga :p

It's very interesting, btw. Well written speech.

maybe, but it kinda fits into this.

I'm surprised you didn't make a joke about my obsession with Gaga :p

It's very interesting, btw. Well written speech.

I don't see how an army law fits into the LGBT society in college. This isn't the Sexuality thread you want back. :p

Just a suggestion if you wanted to get more conversation out of it.

I think you should make a new thread about that, it looks very interesting.

I already made one a couple of days ago titled "Activism". I posted that exact video, and you commented on it. :p

EDIT: Sorry, didn't realise it was a different video.

Edited by chairdriver

well, I guess you make a fair point, heh :laughing:

Have you made your mind up on going to the meetings? If so, I hope you're not going to become all promiscuous and ditch me :p

I already made one a couple of days ago titled "Activism". I posted that exact video, and you commented on it.

Sorry about the double posting of the video. Seems I have a habit of doing that accidentally. First, it was Jayseven then...

:p

Edited by Frank

Oh, sorry about the double posting of the video. Seems I have a habit of doing that accidentally. First, it was Jayseven... :p

No, I'm sorry, my video was very similar, but different.

So back to the topic at hand. Yes I do think I will attend.

They have a cute sign that says "We are better at making coffee than making signs". And their sign is a piece of paper with LGBT written on it.

Sadly, most of the time it comes down to whoever does the penetration in the bedroom.

You might remember my rant a while ago in the sexuality thread about a guy expecting his bf to buy all the drinks because he was the bottom (penetratee) in the bedroom and therefore the "bitch" -- the helpless damsel in distress.

That just angers me. Mostly because its so misogynistic, and disregards everything feminists have worked to achieved.

Not really. Feminists worked hard to achieve equality and give women a choice. So if he chooses to be the "bitch in the kitchen" then that's his choice. A large proportion of women would much prefer to be a housewife. And thanks to feminism they have that choice.

RE: OP (and none of this hilarious 'Q' stuff. I thought it was all about 'taking off the shackles of labels and, like, liberation, dude?'): You have nothing to lose. You can probably turn up before you're allowed to join and have a 'taster' session.

Hallam's society probably disbanded because it wasn't a society with any proper funding/membership, just literally a bunch of people meeting up at the same time each week. The funding aspect is different uni-to-uni (and steph; doug's working at the union now so he's changing how it works - LGBT would get more support now), which therefore affects the actual role of the society.

So yeah. FFS go along :P You'll meet people with something in common with you.

I do have to pay €4 to join any clubs and societies. And I have 12 in mind. I will never have time for them all. It's disheartening.

A lot of societies do 'trial' runs, or, depending on the society, the choice to pay per session. If you get friendly enough with the people, or join a 'mailing list' (facebook page) then you can probably go to all the social occasions (pub, etc) without ever being a member :P

But 12 is seriously too many, anyway.

But 12 is seriously too many, anyway.

I agree. You have time for 3 or 4 max. And that won't leave you much time for anything else.

I would suggest joining a society for your course if you feel you may need the help. A sports society if you enjoy any as it's a great way to keep fit. And then if there's another society you would like to join then go for that.

These are the ones I want to do:

Aikido

Archery

Cycling

Fencing

Gymnastics

Rock Climbing

Swimming

Anime

LGBT

Dance

Japanese

Yoga

You won't have time for even half of those.

That's why I'm sad, and contemplating which ones are important. IE, the LGBT one.

The best thing would be as Jay said. Go to a few taster sessions to see which ones you like. You may find that you don't even want to continue with a lot of them.

Break them down into categories. Which are you considering because you've always wanted to try; which ones reflect your current hobbies or interests that you actually feel competent at? I'd suggest going for the one that you feel most defines you, that you feel comfortable at doing. I went for juggling and those people ended up being my core social circle. I tried teh Rock Society and they just went to the glam/mullet-rock pubs and clubs and wore black and talked about obscure rubbish.

Similarly, some of those will be more demanding than others, time-wise. At Hallam, there's Mario Kart society where people turn up and play mario kart for two hours (srsly), then there's a Drama society where they meet up twice a week to practice and rehearse actual plays that they will perform in front of actual people.

Then there's Jugglesock. We just met up at pubs and parks and drank and threw things.

For some banal reason I've actually been sitting here for like 10 mins trying to work out which of those societies would be best, but really I'd probably not join any of them. Most important is I have no idea what any of them involve (and I don't know you :P). Have you been to/will there be a Society's fair?

I will input my reasons.

Aikido - My cousin does it and it looks really cool. I wanted to try it for so long but never had the money. It's for people who aren't the strongest so I am very interested.

Archery - Have tried archery a few times, had fun because I was pretty good.

Cycling - I like cycling. I'm trying to cycle every day to and from school [8 Km]. Only have a cheap mountain bike and don't know anything specific about cycling except for the fact that it's my main mode of transport.

Fencing - I like swords, looks very fun. Also always wanted to try and never had the money.

Gymnastics/Trampolining - Looks fantastic, I also always wanted to try it. But at the moment I'm not even able to do a cartwheel properly. Crappy upper arm strength and no flexibility. Although I was hoping this club would help me with that.

Rock Climbing - Looks very fun, definitely want to join. Help improve upper arm strength and climbing is always fun.

Swimming - I like swimming and would like to be better at it. Also did lifesaving which involved swimming.

Anime I like anime. Watch them at home sometimes.

LGBT I'm bi.

Dance - I would like to learn how to dance, the cool ones though. Not ballroom and all that.

Japanese - I like a lot of Japanese things.

Yoga - Wanted improved flexibility and people are always raving about the psychological benefits of this.

The week after next, there will be an event where all the clubs will try to get us to join.

Oh and obviously the video games society!