NEurope
Diageo

LGBT Society

I've never joined any societies but may do during my postgrad. And by societies I mean the life drawing one as it will directly affect my course rather than me spending my precious evenings talking to people. And it'll cost £10 but I guess that helps cover the cost of paying people to get naked.

Almost joined the anime/manga one during my UG but didn't want to be surrounded by wannabe otakus.

Is it just my friends in particular or does everyone join up for a society, go for a few weeks then forget about it?

And the LGBT society advertised that they played Twister. It amused me.

Wow Diego, not the ambitious type are you? :p

12 probably is a little too much for just one person. But hey, whatever makes you happy :)

If you want my 2 cents I'd probably go with the LGBT group, the Yoga, maybe one sport (if any), and I think if you learned Japanese it would be pretty amazing. But it's a bit of a challenge, no?

I'd be pretty overwhelmed even with just the 4 that I mentioned :S And Japanese isn't something that you can just pick up. Wouldn't you find it hard doing these while getting your psychology course as well? You could probably handle it but I'd be a mess and probably wouldn't last long :p

More power to you though :D

After what you've said; I'm surprised it's only 12!

So I'm guessing the societies fair is in a couple of weeks? Dude, like, totally wait till that before you make up your mind. You're saying that, essentially, you have an interest in all of them, which suggests you have an ambition that you hope they can help you achieve. It's not 'til you ask their stall (usually committee members!) proper questions that you'll know whether they can deliver for you.

But from the off, I'd say the 'japanese' society is not going to provide.

When you go around the fair have certain questions in your mind;

- How often do you meet?

- What do you do?

- Can I come along just to see what it's like?

AND!

- What did you do last year?

Good societies will rave about certain occasions, disorganised ones may complain about the union not supporting them with what they wanted to do. Follow up with;

- So can you do it this year?

And if they say "hopefully" then AVOID. Because the 'problems' are internal to the society and not the union's fault.

Anyway, you'll quickly evaluate which societies are more open to beginners (as you are) than others. They all claim to love them, but ultimately may not cater for them. Just be open about the fact that you want to develop your interests, and see how they sell it to you.

And yeah - I don't think there's much point doing dance, rock climbing and gymnastics. The latter, especially, is probably for those who can rather than those who are interested. Besides, it's far too much to do all these at once. You will be physically drained from any one of them each week.

I joined 9 clubs.

AFSoc

ESoc

- For the concessions and free stuff and discounts.

Go Kartin Soc

- For random trips

Anime and Manga Soc

Video Games Soc

Fencing

Rock Climbing

Aikido

Gymnastics

- Have weekly meetings.

So you didn't join LGBTSoc in the end?

I'd say you might as well, if only to get slightly within the loop.

Oh yeah, how come you decided not to?

I have no idea what the first two are. AF and E?

Feel free to tell me how much of a noob I am :p

I didn't join LGBT because I wouldn't have time to go to any meetings. For a financial point of view €4 for the other clubs was good value for money. Whereas LGBT meetings can be had for free at youth clubs and such.

Entrepreneurs Society and Accounting and Finance Society. They gave out free stuff.

I disagree. €4 for Fencing, Rock Climbing, Aikido and Gymnastics, with free equipment, for a year is great value.

Manga society has a manga library I can take mangas from. And AFSoc and Esoc had concession cards with discounts for clubs and restaurants. 25% off Domino's. By one dinner get one free in Wagamama, free in to some clubs.

I disagree. €4 for Fencing, Rock Climbing, Aikido and Gymnastics, with free equipment, for a year is great value.

Manga society has a manga library I can take mangas from. And AFSoc and Esoc had concession cards with discounts for clubs and restaurants. 25% off Domino's. By one dinner get one free in Wagamama, free in to some clubs.

Yeah but you won't have time for even half of them.

Edited by MoogleViper

I will "half" time. I organise a schedule. I can go to all of them, without counting extra trips and etc.