Ashley

What Have You Bought?

Recommended Posts

Just now, bob said:
11 minutes ago, Happenstance said:
Nice. What spec did you go for?

I got the 2019 model; 144hz, RTX 2060, i7, 16gb I think.

Pretty much the same as mine then. I got the 2020 version so I think its the newer CPU.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The unofficial Switch Pro controllers I ordered arrived and they're very good quality, much better than I expected.

A third of the price, about the same size/weight as an official one, comfortable, comes in professional packaging (I know that doesn't matter in itself but it's a good sign), came fully charged and they seem "well built", as in, they don't feel "cheap" for a better word. I haven't tried it yet but apparently they work on PC too. Oh and they worked with the Switch with zero hassle.

Obviously I don't know how long they're going to actually last, but they've ticked all the boxes they can so far.

Slight catch: the USB wires they come with are really short, so they're only good for charging and no good if you like playing with your controllers connected. Luckily I switched to wireless play ages ago.

Anyway, if you're looking for a decent extra/replacement Switch controller, currently I'd recommend one of these:

Zexrow Switch Controller Wireless Switch Pro Controller: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Edited by Sckewi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

amazon-echo-2nd-generation-100775755-lar

2nd generation Echo Show to replace the first gen i've got sitting in the living room.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

s-l1600.jpg

I don't really carry cash anymore and a normal wallet was a bit bulky for just a few cards.

Pretty good so far. It's just a bit smaller than my phone and keeps the cards in securely.

The only downside is that due to it being smaller, it feels like it might fall out of my pocket. Front pocket only from now on I guess.

Edited by Goafer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's awkward. They've misspelled 'planets' on the cover.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, martinist said:

Planetes_PO_x1024.jpg?v=1607097977CyberCity_open_PO_x1024.jpg?v=1605695886

!! I had no idea Cyber city has a collectors edition! Does it have the U.K. soundtrack? Ive got to buy this right away 

edit - just checked and it’s both, which is awesome: 

Quote

Include the complete 3-part OVA with 3 viewing options: original Japanese with English subtitles, English voices with Japanese soundtrack, and English voices with the "UK Soundtrack" composed by Rory McFarlane (aka, the Manga UK Dub")

 

Edited by Helmsly
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Helmsly said:

!! I had no idea Cyber city has a collectors edition! Does it have the U.K. soundtrack? Ive got to buy this right away 

edit - just checked and it’s both, which is awesome

Hi i've just drank about half a bottle of brandy.

I just want to say, fuck yeah, good for you.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, martinist said:

Hi i've just drank about half a bottle of brandy.

I just want to say, fuck yeah, good for you.

I was never a big anime fan but I remember seeing this on channel 4 in the mid-nineties and enjoying but also really enjoying the soundtrack. I bought all three episodes on VHS and even bought the CD soundtrack a few months later. 

I think this is the first time it’s been released on disc with the U.K. soundtrack as the previous DVD release uses the Japanese one.

Edited by Helmsly
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

97df094d6c49e3d4643d14e0551fb918.png

A new decent set of in-ear headphones/monitor. Best sounding headset I've had so far! Even beats the quality of most of the headphones I've had so pretty happy with them. Now let's hope they last...

And some Nintendo Switch black friday haul:

  • Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition (physical)
  • Dragon Ball FighterZ
  • OlliOlli Switch Stance
  • Two DLC packs for Pinball FX3

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought another copy of Total Recall on BluRay since it had different special features.

It was the 30th aniversery one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

//cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0283/4240/products/SAOGGO_BDcollection_PO_x1024.jpg?v=1605820963

It's currently half price if you pre-order. 

 Xbox Wireless Adapter for Windows 10 | Xbox

The one that came with my controller got broken, just in case it kicks the dust I got another one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Black_Ops_Cold_War.jpeg

For a fiver :o

There was a glitch in the German PSN store. Add the free weekend version to your library and you could get the cross-gen bundle for 5€ :D It worked and it's downloading. Looks like my PS5's SSD will be out of space soon :laughing:

Might be worth checking it out in your PSN stores?

Edited by drahkon
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Black_Ops_Cold_War.jpeg

For a fiver :o

There was a glitch in the German PSN store. Add the free weekend version to your library and you could get the cross-gen bundle for 5€ :D It worked and it's downloading. Looks like my PS5's SSD will be out of space soon :laughing:

Might be worth checking it out in your PSN stores?

Just installing Warzone now to see if it's still working, thanks for the heads-up either way!

Seems like the steps might be a bit longer for those of us in the UK (on PS5 at least):

1) Install Warzone
2) Open Warzone
3) In Warzone, access the Franchise Store and download the Black Ops Cold War MP Free Access (The promo they are running over christmas to try out MP)
4) This should in theory then trick the PS store in to giving you the cross gen bundle for £5 rather than £65
5) Enjoy Cod for £5

If you have a PS4, I think you can skip ahead to step 3 - I believe the MP Free Access should be under the Demos tab in the PS Store on PS4? 

Edited by Julius
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Massive hipster moment incoming...

I listen to music a lot, but I realised that I never really listen. It's always in the background or just something I've just thrown on. With things like my Alexa and Youtube, I can just listen to whatever track I want at a moment's notice, which is great, but it never makes me actually value the music I'm listening to. I want music to actually be something I actively listen to and enjoy.

For that reason, I decided to get into vinyl. I'm still very much researching, but I've bought a turntable and a few records. The speakers are very much the weakest part of the setup currently, but I figured I'd just get a pair to start with and upgrade later if I get hooked. Using my phone with them currently (the turntable arrives later today) and they're actually pretty good, so should last a while. The turntable pops up in most of the top "affordable" lists, so I'm hoping that won't need upgrading any time soon, if ever.

I figure the whole "ceremony" of getting the vinyl out, cleaning it (if I can be arsed), putting it on the table and dropping the needle will make me actually appreciate the music more. I don't buy into the whole "vinyl just sounds better" ethos, but I do like the idea of listening to music being an event, so I figure it'll be a good hobby.

Audio Techinca LP120XUSB. In black, because of course I did:

81WUBA3wP5L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

 

Majority D40 Speakers. No, I haven't heard of them either, but they had good reviews and actually seem really nice so far. Plus they have bluetooth and a headphone socket, meaning I don't have to get a separate headphone amp:
71UfWjg8stL._AC_SX466_.jpg

 

And a few records to keep me occupied. Labyrinth, because it's my favourite soundtrack and will absolutely be the first thing I listen to when the turntable arrives.

442834-Product-0-I_dc7ed231-782f-4ee3-b4

David Bowie - Legacy. Didn't mean to go double Bowie, but I had an Argos voucher and the only decent record they had in stock. I can't complain though, Bowie is awesome.

0_0_productGfx_2c88d631a6d7c1c2d59ee39ba

 

Fleetwood Mac - Rumours. The Chain is the best bass drop of all time and I'll fight anyone who disagrees.

fleetwood-mac-rumours-lp-c.jpg

 

Next up I'd like to get some Daft Punk, but their records are at least £40 per album, so I think that can wait a while. I'll probably get a few cheaper ones first.

 

I get the feeling this may become an expensive hobby...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Top music choices there, going to have to give those a listen too.

I’ve always loved the idea of vinyl but it’s just so space consuming. I have been considering getting a HomePod or something recently to enhance the listening experience, maybe something for the new year.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Will said:

Top music choices there, going to have to give those a listen too.

I’ve always loved the idea of vinyl but it’s just so space consuming. I have been considering getting a HomePod or something recently to enhance the listening experience, maybe something for the new year.

One thing I've learned so far is that it's more complicated than it first seems. I was originally just planning on getting a cheap suitcase style player for about £50, but apparently they're awful. Throw in stories of tracking force and ruined records and suddenly you're down a wormhole of which turntable/preamp/amp/speakers to buy. To say my original £50 budget has long passed would be an understatement.

I went with the LP120, as it has an adjustable tonearm counterweight and comes with a built-in preamp, meaning I just needed some active speakers (which serve as an amp and speakers) and the whole thing is ready to go. You could probably get much more for your money if you're willing to go second hand and do a bit of research, but I just wanted a simple, plug and play solution that can be upgraded later with a new stylus etc as needed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Goafer said:

One thing I've learned so far is that it's more complicated than it first seems. I was originally just planning on getting a cheap suitcase style player for about £50, but apparently they're awful. Throw in stories of tracking force and ruined records and suddenly you're down a wormhole of which turntable/preamp/amp/speakers to buy. To say my original £50 budget has long passed would be an understatement.

I went with the LP120, as it has an adjustable tonearm counterweight and comes with a built-in preamp, meaning I just needed some active speakers (which serve as an amp and speakers) and the whole thing is ready to go. You could probably get much more for your money if you're willing to go second hand and do a bit of research, but I just wanted a simple, plug and play solution that can be upgraded later with a new stylus etc as needed.

It looks really awesome actually, watched some videos on YouTube and it really got me wanting one. One thing I didn’t quite get was the use of the red light on the left hand side? Is that to help get the speed accurate or something?

We decided to buy a baby monitor, mostly so we can see what crazy things the baby is doing at night without disturbing him:

71HEiz8DsLL._AC_SX679_.jpg

Can direct the camera wherever you want to look and it has it’s own tablet we can put on the coffee table. Also has an app to view through the phones which was something I really wanted. Quite looking forward to using it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Will said:

One thing I didn’t quite get was the use of the red light on the left hand side? Is that to help get the speed accurate or something?

Yeah, it makes it easier to see if the speed is accurate. The strobe makes it so that certain dots on the edge of the platter look stationary if the speed is correct.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites