NEurope
Ashley

What Have You Bought?

Wanted to take some pictures of the planes that fly over our apartment so got a zoom lens for my camera:

7thfRWB.jpg

Also needed a new portable hard drive as my current one is really unreliable, got this 1TB that should fit my needs nicely:

Yjio5QB.jpg

• Like 1

My Pixel count has doubled...

FCyYt5LWUAE0pNl?format=jpg&name=large

...and like a true Wii Sports champ, gone Pro :p

Pretty happy the case arrived today after hearing in some of the reviews that the phone was a bit slippery, it originally wasn't supposed to arrive until the second week of November! 

Also had my new vacuum (a Dyson V15 Detect Absolute) arrive yesterday, so it's been a fun week of new tech arrivals!

Edited by Julius
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Julius said:

My Pixel count has doubled...

FCyYt5LWUAE0pNl?format=jpg&name=large

...and like a true Wii Sports champ, gone Pro :p

Pretty happy the case arrived today after hearing in some of the reviews that the phone was a bit slippery, it originally wasn't supposed to arrive until the second week of November! 

Mine too doubled today, in the sense my second one turned up. 

Let me know what you think of the case. I did find the phone slippery without but couldn't find a decent case so got one of those flip ones for the moment but not a fan of that type. I miss the fabric cases 😭

13 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Mine too doubled today, in the sense my second one turned up. 

Let me know what you think of the case. I did find the phone slippery without but couldn't find a decent case so got one of those flip ones for the moment but not a fan of that type. I miss the fabric cases 😭

I've got a custom leather sleeve for my phone from fitbag. I absolutely hate the hard cases, so didn't want an official one.

2 hours ago, Ashley said:

Let me know what you think of the case. I did find the phone slippery without but couldn't find a decent case so got one of those flip ones for the moment but not a fan of that type.

While the case gives you a bit more grip than without, it honestly doesn't feel like enough grip to give you the confidence that it's not going to fall out of your hand when it gets the chance. 

It could just be me not getting used to the phone yet, as my Pixel 3 was more than an inch smaller, noticeably lighter, and the fingerprint scanner on the back was a great groove to rest your index finger in and get more of a grip on the phone, which I would say was actually enhanced by having a case (as it gave you a deeper groove to rest your fingertip in). I'd probably say I have medium-sized hands, so maybe someone with larger hands would be completely fine with it, but for me so far the case has been a mixed bag. 

The camera "visor" serves as a pretty decent place to rest the outside of your index finger for a better grip and for more balance without a case on, but because this case (and most other cases I've seen for it) tries to create a more level surface across the back of the phone, it's not as pronounced with the case on, which I think only adds to the feeling of having less of a grip on it by comparison. 

The case does look quite nice though...

2 hours ago, Ashley said:

I miss the fabric cases 😭

Oh I feel you on this, the fabric cases were fantastic!

I do find it funny that the first time they decide to make both the higher end and standard version of the Pixel more than 6 inches in screen size, the grippy, fabric cases are tossed out when we needed them most. 

9e92dd8c-1f12-4426-b7ac-131dca1d294a_scr

How are you getting on with yours so far? I'm really feeling the growing pains so far moving to Android 12 on a new phone, and the fingerprint scanner feels like it takes an age compared to my old phone, which is really odd. And I still can't get over the fact they've decided to stick both your mobile network and WiFi under "Internet" :blank:

Edited by Julius

9 hours ago, Julius said:

While the case gives you a bit more grip than without, it honestly doesn't feel like enough grip to give you the confidence that it's not going to fall out of your hand when it gets the chance. 

It could just be me not getting used to the phone yet, as my Pixel 3 was more than an inch smaller, noticeably lighter, and the fingerprint scanner on the back was a great groove to rest your index finger in and get more of a grip on the phone, which I would say was actually enhanced by having a case (as it gave you a deeper groove to rest your fingertip in). I'd probably say I have medium-sized hands, so maybe someone with larger hands would be completely fine with it, but for me so far the case has been a mixed bag. 

The camera "visor" serves as a pretty decent place to rest the outside of your index finger for a better grip and for more balance without a case on, but because this case (and most other cases I've seen for it) tries to create a more level surface across the back of the phone, it's not as pronounced with the case on, which I think only adds to the feeling of having less of a grip on it by comparison. 

The case does look quite nice though...

Oh I feel you on this, the fabric cases were fantastic!

I do find it funny that the first time they decide to make both the higher end and standard version of the Pixel more than 6 inches in screen size, the grippy, fabric cases are tossed out when we needed them most. 

9e92dd8c-1f12-4426-b7ac-131dca1d294a_scr

How are you getting on with yours so far? I'm really feeling the growing pains so far moving to Android 12 on a new phone, and the fingerprint scanner feels like it takes an age compared to my old phone, which is really odd. And I still can't get over the fact they've decided to stick both your mobile network and WiFi under "Internet" :blank:

Yeah I miss the fingerprint sensor on the back and I found it more natural to put my finger there to wake it up rather than on the screen and I'm not a fan of the bright glowing light under the sensor when you do use it. I have seen some complaints about the speed so you're not the only one and hopefully that will get addressed.

I upgraded to 12 on my Pixel 5 last week so had a few days to get use to it. No major issues, but then it seems some of the bigger changes are things I don't use much anyway so not had a big impact on me. Google Translate did upgrade to Material You this morning though and it annoys me that you can no longer put in something, see the translation and then flip them around (to translate the response you get). You have to go back and in again.

@Ashley I'm just messing around with mine, the reverse translation is still there, just under the three dots.

Really impressed with the camera so far, going from a Nexus 4, horrible Chinese phone and cheap Nokia 4.2 to this is a big improvement for me. Especially impressed with taking photos in a dark room with light coming in from the doorway.

I still need to get used to the gestures, I'm used to having buttons at the bottom. I keep backing when sliding stuff to the right.

• Like 1

y4mUUGYHj_aa2z1gJ4RfHnTUWugoHybDT75d1M5T

Did store pickup so collected it Friday and then set it up yesterday. It remembered my login for some apps, but not others which is weird. Going from a Pixel 5, this phone is huge. Weight difference is definitely noticeable. The case is fine. I think the under-screen fingerprint scanner is actually better as it's more reliable, especially if you've just washed your hands. It's slower but it doesn't take multiple attempts to unlock which makes it quicker in a way.

y4mQ95xnzk-wLxZHucBvFGROaZxyHymRrcPQnBi_

Probably the most expensive t-shirt I've every bought, but I couldn't resist.

caseology-parallax-pixel-6-case.jpg

I went for the Caseology Parallax case, I liked the look of it. The grips on the side and the grooved back make it feel secure in my hand.

Surprisingly, the double tap on back action seems to work even better with the case.

3181N9yhAlL._AC_SY780_.jpg

And some cheap headphones for walking to work.

2 hours ago, Cube said:

caseology-parallax-pixel-6-case.jpg

I went for the Caseology Parallax case, I liked the look of it. The grips on the side and the grooved back make it feel secure in my hand.

Surprisingly, the double tap on back action seems to work even better with the case.

Where did you find it? It was out of stock when I got my phone the other day. Just checked Amazon and it'll be back end of next week so I've ordered it. Got another one coming end of the week. 

Ordered it from Amazon on Wednesday (arranged for delivery today as I was on holiday until yesterday). This is for the standard Pixel 6, not the Pro, so probably why it was in stock.

• Like 1

On 30/10/2021 at 9:41 PM, Cube said:

@Ashley I'm just messing around with mine, the reverse translation is still there, just under the three dots.

Cheers although it's a pain it's now an extra step away

• Like 1

Just a heads up, if you buy a Google One 2TB plan, you can get a free Nest Hub 2nd gen. It has to be the yearly plan though. You'll also get 10% cash-back on the Google store.

81PxKXYO3BL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

apps.33377.13884136572674855.9340928e-86

Finally picked up Deathloop and as I've got Gamepass Ultimate, I ended up grabbing the Premium Add-on Bundle for Forza Horizon 5 to get the 4 days early access and other bits. Love the series so its an easy purchase for me as I'll be playing it for the next couple of years like I have FH3 and FH4 before it. Can't wait to play both.

Bought one of these bad boys
u_10200033.jpg

I can't believe I didn't consider getting one sooner. It's amazing. It dries a full load of washing in a few hours, and the clothes actually smell nice afterwards!

It pulled several litres of water out of our dining room that was just hanging about in the air. It's crazy!

It's a bit bulky though, and a bit annoying lugging it around the house, but I'm hoping that I won't have to run it all that often (other than to dry washing).

71ULWblNAYL._AC_SY550_.jpg

I already have this twice on the Wii U but wanted the Switch physical release. My Japanese is not great so this is gonna be a struggle.

Edited by sumo73

9 hours ago, sumo73 said:

71ULWblNAYL._AC_SY550_.jpg

I already have this twice on the Wii U but wanted the Switch physical release. My Japanese is not great so this is gonna be a struggle.

You should have gotten the Asian Release instead of the Japanese, that version has English subs, though that releases at the end of November.

Edited by Emerald Emblem

299774_forza-horizon-5-premium-add-ons-b

Got it on Gamepass. I just want to throw cars around and listen to Latin rap music.

On 11/7/2021 at 10:21 PM, Emerald Emblem said:

You should have gotten the Asian Release instead of the Japanese, that version has English subs, though that releases at the end of November.

Well I had the choice a few months ago to get the Asian release but I decided against it. The Japanese version has the option of English voices unlike the Wii U Japanese version but there's no option for English text when reading messages on the screen. It's not a deal breaker for me, just it will take me longer to understand the messages on screen. In an ideal world there should have been a limited edition Western physical release.

Edit: Game got patched in November 2021 which allows English text and voice in the game.

Edited by sumo73

P_setting_xxx_0_90_end_692.png

Needed a new wireless card as the one that came with my new PC was a bit old and not up to the task. Plus the bluetooth dongle I bought is already a bit crappy with skips when using my controller so that needed an upgrade as well.

Preparing for our move to the UK with some home office equipment:

QNRQNCsYS8QXhrAGWRstgZ-970-80.jpg.webp

A couple of monitors

61qcOqT6c-L._AC_SL1000_.jpg

A Wave-3 microphone with a few extra pieces. Have wanted this for a while so quite happy it was randomly 50 quid off.

The LCD screen on our thermostat just died over time. I did this weird thing (following a youtube tutorial!) where I dismantled it and heated it over the toaster, which revived it for a few months, but it's died again and the toaster method borked it more. Bought a smart thermostat and it's all set up to be controlled with an app or the google minis around the house.

oD1kqqN.png

My Bose 700 headphones arrived today! They're off to CEX tomorrow.

(Reminder: if you got a Pixel, don't forget to redeem your headphones).

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Cube said:

My Bose 700 headphones arrived today! They're off to CEX tomorrow.

(Reminder: if you got a Pixel, don't forget to redeem your headphones).

Oh, nice! 

Still waiting for mine, but yeah, I'm either going to sell them or save them for my brother's birthday next year, still undecided. CeX is a decent shout if I do decide to sell them, would definitely save the hassle of trying to find a buyer on eBay or elsewhere ::shrug: