NEurope
Ashley

What Have You Bought?

2 minutes ago, Will said:

Decided I wanted to have a go at modding some of my consoles so ordered some tools:

81VwvgeGIpL._AC_SX679_.jpg

iFixit driver kit and...

18c6e0b5e98bdb2e4d7f16d97efb282f.jpg_720x720q80.jpg

A soldering kit.

The soldering kit was fairly cheap and I’ll probably upgrade at some point in the future. Availability of the known kits seemed pretty bad here so thought I’d spend some time sourcing something that will last.

I also bought a few easy to get components and plan to do a region switch mod on my GameCube as a first project.

You should make a thread and document your progress with this. I'd be interested to see how you do.

11 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

You should make a thread and document your progress with this. I'd be interested to see how you do.

Will definitely do so! If I fail massively at least it will provide some entertainment.

• Like 1

On 03/01/2021 at 4:32 PM, Magnus said:

Honestly, you should just quit after the first one, because the sequels aren't very good.

I don't think that's entirely true. I think the second is defo up to the standard of the first, and maybe the third too. The 4th is a bit of an odd one, and the 5th is too dark.

6th was written by someone else and is not worth reading.

Dirk Gently is then worth reading!

Ol1oSXe.jpg

Started work on collecting all the Final Fantasy games this week, got off to a good start. The FFII and III boxes are just replacement boxes but I do own the proper SNES carts.

Sorting out my desk at the moment so decided to grab a few things to help tidy things up and create some space. Finally swapping out my gen 1 Amazon Echo as well for a smaller Dot for the same reason.

61zEkbot+HL._AC_SX679_.jpg61lN1V3+UiL._AC_SX679_.jpg71Gb8-pk2VL._AC_SX679_.jpg61O194pdwrL._AC_SX679_.jpg

bh9-Qiz6f8Ap0KJ0MUEdFvAcLEjjebl-mNSidt69

Bought myself a new wok. Been without one for a couple of years now and decided to pick one up. Arrived earlier today and was promptly put to use in making a stir fry this evening (tofu, udon noodles, peppers, water chestnuts, bean sprouts, Chinese lettuce, carrots, sweet chilli sauce) which was delicious :D

As I grow older, I do find that simple things like a wok are what make me happy more than most things. I look forward to putting this to some serious use over the coming days, weeks, months and years.

32 minutes ago, martinist said:

Xy8BVX6.jpg

arounf £90 worth of beer. I have no room for food in my fridge.

You are gonna be in my Twitch chat drunk many more times aren't you. lol

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Emerald Emblem said:

You are gonna be in my Twitch chat drunk many more times aren't you. lol

....more than possible

• Haha 2

My teenage years in 2 albums.

PSX-20210118-114225.jpg

Also, that Sky One logo really hits me right in the nostalgia.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A few more games while they're on sale:

61OzdN9rIpL._AC_SY679_.jpg

71Xz9rNV5HL._AC_SL1245_.jpg

418UNGaIj2L._AC_.jpg

91kBwJpKdOL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

With everything else I've picked up over the last couple of weeks, and with plentiful Gamepass titles to get through, I think I've enough. Maybe. Picked up Fallen Order for the PS5 update, even if it isn't the biggest upgrade. Hitman 2 because I've not gone through it fully and want to do that before 3. And I dropped Ni No Kuni 2 not long after it came out as I wasn't majorly fussed for the Pikmin/Little King's Story-esque parts but have a hankering for a JRPG and found the overarching game decent enough so going to give it another try (it was only just under £7 so not bad) before I grab DQ11 for playing down the line. The Falconeer I got as I liked the look of it and had an Amazon discount code that got me the game for £20.

Oh and I also bought some curtain rails, a new bin and a bunch of other gouse stuff for my house move in the next 2 weeks or so. And treated the missus to some new clothes that she had been eyeing up.

• Like 1

Even thought the last one I bought hasn’t arrived yet I decided I wanted to upgrade my soldering iron. Got this with an extra tip and carrying case:

61pz5g08SQL._AC_SX679_.jpg

It's payday, so that means more music day. 2 records and 2 cassettes this time.

DuaLipa_Album_Vinyl_Black.png?v=15953420

81ivYXM9roL._AC_SL1425_.jpg

Garbage-Version-20-Cassette-Tape-1998-Mu

135794438.jpg

• Like 3

Been without Photoshop for a while (but did discover photopea.com which is really good for a website) and heard good things about Affinity and it's half price at the moment. Seems to be a pretty good competitor to Photoshop and at £24 for a lifetime license compared to nearly that per month...

Anyway here's the software with a seal for illustrative purposes. 

4-Affinity-Photo-Develop-Persona.jpg

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Been without Photoshop for a while (but did discover photopea.com which is really good for a website) and heard good things about Affinity and it's half price at the moment. Seems to be a pretty good competitor to Photoshop and at £24 for a lifetime license compared to nearly that per month...

Anyway here's the software with a seal for illustrative purposes. 

4-Affinity-Photo-Develop-Persona.jpg

I use Affinity Photo and really like it.

• Like 1

Bought a bunch of new MTG cards for Commander... again. This time I decided I wanted to put a few new lands cards into my decks... into both decks I decided to put this card:

Exotic Orchard

One of the decks I also added this card to:

Myriad Landscape

Also acquired a few of the creature lands:

Lavaclaw Reaches

Needle Spires

Lumbering Falls

A few non land acquisitions too

Crackling Doom

Favorable Winds

Bought three of these, one of the Commander deck and two for my casual Izzet Flying deck, which I also upgraded my counterspell on with this card:

Lofty Denial

For similar reasons I also delved into buying a few Pokemon cards to make that deck a bit better.. all Trainer cards

Quick Ball x3

Telescopic Sight x2

Muscle Band

Giant Hearth

They're subtle tweaks and this is only supposed to be a casual Expanded deck but I sometimes play it on PTCGO so that's why those have come in...

More music stuff.

91ocv90WDIL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

And a cassette player that I really wanted as a kid, but never got. Doesn't come up on eBay a lot, so I figured I'd get it whilst I can. Got it for the starting bid too.

PSX-20210129-204031.jpg

220px-Hades_cover_art.jpg

I am ever so...slightly obsessed. 

Also wanted a few more plants, because I'd like to live in a jungle: Calathea musaica - Calathea 'Network' — IN-TRAY PLANTS

Pothos 'Neon' (Epipremnum pinnatum) | My Garden Life

• Like 1

220px-Hades_cover_art.jpg

I am ever so...slightly obsessed. 

Also wanted a few more plants, because I'd like to live in a jungle: DSC_9313.jpg?format=1500w

6650_26.jpg

I got a pretty cool house plant for Xmas from my sister is law. My jungle bathroom is coming along nicely.

f2f8d051b5927f0d5ed469738f852f78.jpg

• Like 2

On 30/01/2021 at 1:46 PM, bob said:

I got a pretty cool house plant for Xmas from my sister is law. My jungle bathroom is coming along nicely.

f2f8d051b5927f0d5ed469738f852f78.jpg

Good choices! We have our main bathroom that has no window - so no plant, but I've got a couple of types of pothos in the en-suite.

Once day I'll have a living room that has decent insulation so I can have some palms in there, right now it has to have really hardy plants! Big sad. 

I always feel like I should have more plants but every time I’ve tried I forgot about them and they died.

• Like 2

I always feel like I should have more plants but every time I’ve tried I forgot about them and they died.
This tells me that your feeling was wrong.
  • Like 3

On 31/01/2021 at 4:44 PM, Happenstance said:

IMO its much harder to look after houseplants than it is a garden.  I have only had one outside plant death compared to dozens of indoor deaths

You'd think they would be easier especially when they arent subject to the weather elements but actually a lot of that ecosystem keeps them alive (nutrients, water retention etc) when you pick the right plant for the environment.

• Like 1

I have one peace lily that is mostly hanging in there. Did have a few other plants but they died. 

And while we're talking about it I really want a lemon tree but I don't have a garden and I live in the UK so...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ashley said:

I have one peace lily that is mostly hanging in there. Did have a few other plants but they died. 

And while we're talking about it I really want a lemon tree but I don't have a garden and I live in the UK so...

You can grow them inside, mine is living on my south facing windowsill right now.  I just referred to a YT video on planting lemon seeds from a lemon and managed to get a few saplings, its pretty easy to do.  banana skins soaked in a bottle of water is also a good feed for them.  I was at a loose end early 2020 (lol) and decided to give it a go. My plant is still very small, i believe they need a few years in the warm before they grow to a point of potentially getting any flowers/fruit.  Really looking forward to seeing how much growth i get from it this summer.  Kinda started it as a pet project without any assumptions that id get fruit from it, just gave it a go since it didnt really cost me anything.  Peppers are also ones that do reasonably well inside.