NEurope
Ashley

What Have You Bought?

27 minutes ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

What on earth? The 2013 version looks so much uglier compared to the 2011 release. That's not how evolution works. Evolution is supposed to make things better, not woooorse.

Yeah thats the problem, it seems to rely completely on who the team is working on these movies and what their vision for them is. The Terminator 2 recent 4k release is apparently terrible.

12 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Yeah thats the problem, it seems to rely completely on who the team is working on these movies and what their vision for them is. The Terminator 2 recent 4k release is apparently terrible.

I bought a special edition Blade Runner tin/box that came with 5 different versions of the film, including the Director's Cut. I always thought it was odd how there could be multiple versions of the same film, but I guess in situations like that, it's down to individual preferences.

Terminator 2 4K sounds like it should be perfect. Shocking if they manage to mess that up. It looks impeccable for its age anyway, so it should look incredible in 4K. The effects in that are sublime. Still one of the best action films I've ever seen.

2 minutes ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

Terminator 2 4K sounds like it should be perfect. Shocking if they manage to mess that up. It looks impeccable for its age anyway, so it should look incredible in 4K. The effects in that are sublime. Still one of the best action films I've ever seen.

Here's a T2 comparison video. I would actually say the 2017 blu ray looks the best out of the three. Again, this is the kind of stuff I never really knew happened. I have no idea which blu ray version I have but after seeing this I wouldn't be happy if it was just the 2015 one given that the 2017 version looks so much sharper.

4 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Here's a T2 comparison video. I would actually say the 2017 blu ray looks the best out of the three. Again, this is the kind of stuff I never really knew happened. I have no idea which blu ray version I have but after seeing this I wouldn't be happy if it was just the 2015 one given that the 2017 version looks so much sharper.

Maybe it's hard to judge the Ultra-HD edition because you need to see that on the right display. But, I've always thought that T2 had this wonderful blue hue to it, like a metallic gloss that was prevalent in certain scenes, like the hospital escape at night. The 2017 version seems to be the best looking one, although I don't think the 2015 version is too ugly either. I think that would still look great on the screen, although the colouring is nicer on the 2017 version. Judging that specific video, the 4K Ultra-HD version looks the worst out of the three. 

I wish there was some kind of way you could have access to all of the versions and then just choose whichever one you can watch, so that you don't get caught out by this sorta stuff. 

Just now, Fierce_LiNk said:

Maybe it's hard to judge the Ultra-HD edition because you need to see that on the right display. But, I've always thought that T2 had this wonderful blue hue to it, like a metallic gloss that was prevalent in certain scenes, like the hospital escape at night. The 2017 version seems to be the best looking one, although I don't think the 2015 version is too ugly either. I think that would still look great on the screen, although the colouring is nicer on the 2017 version. Judging that specific video, the 4K Ultra-HD version looks the worst out of the three. 

I wish there was some kind of way you could have access to all of the versions and then just choose whichever one you can watch, so that you don't get caught out by this sorta stuff. 

You don't get access to every version but on all 4ks I've bought so far they come with the 4k disc and then the blu ray disc as well so T2 would have the 2017 4k and the 2017 blu ray from that comparison which is something.

52 minutes ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

I bought a special edition Blade Runner tin/box that came with 5 different versions of the film, including the Director's Cut. I always thought it was odd how there could be multiple versions of the same film, but I guess in situations like that, it's down to individual preferences.

Theatrical and directors I get but what on earth are on the other three?

Although I'd love it if Disney released the original Star Wars trilogy with every version on it where a version is defined by George Lucas making a tweak. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Theatrical and directors I get but what on earth are on the other three?

Apparently 8 different cuts of the film exist...

I have the 5 disc ultimate edition. Just checking online and found this:

Five-Disc Box Set, Ultimate Edition
4-fold Digipak in embossed, hinged tin-box
Includes:
The Final Cut (2007)
Dangerous Days: Making Blade Runner
Blade Runner: US Theatrical Cut (1982)
Blade Runner: International Theatrical Cut (1982)
Blade Runner: Director's Cut (1982)
Enhancement Archive
Workprint (With alternate music, footage and voice-over)
All Our Variant Featurette

Collectibles:
Motion Film Clip
16-Page Photo & Contents Booklet
Rare Arts Folio

So it features 4 cuts of the film and then the workprint is kinda like...a crossbreed between an alternative cut and a draft version of the film. Interesting. The ending of the original is vaaaastly different when compared the ending in the other cuts. Gorgeous film.

I picked up all that for £5 from HMV. Was just walking to the checkout and then spotted that on a shelf on the way. I didn't even break stride, just picked it up and kept on walking. :laughing:

13 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Although I'd love it if Disney released the original Star Wars trilogy with every version on it where a version is defined by George Lucas making a tweak. 

I mean I'd buy it, don't think it'd happen without technically making more versions by replacing the 20th Century Fox logo and fanfare :p A New Hope by itself has 10 different versions if you include the 2015 digital edition update, when the 20th Century Fox logo and fanfare were first replaced with Lucasfilm's (I mean, I'd include it). Heck, we technically got a new version just last year when George Lucas's final change came to light in the 4K remaster he'd worked on before the sale to Disney finally got released. I think the biggest change was Greedo's last word is "maclunkey"? Which is a nice rabbit hole for fans to dive down in itself. 

Star Wars is so funny in that way: it's a story told across generations and to multiple generations, yet every generation is encountering a different version. I'd love if they could rework some of the CG elements in the prequels at some point just to bring it up to modern standards (still think Revenge of the Sith's CGI is on a whole other level when compared with most films of the time and in many cases since), and did the same for Tarkin and Leia in Rogue One in ten or twenty years when the tech is there to bring it up to snuff. And some people in The Rise of Skywalker I guess. 

Also, for what's being discussed about physical media: like @Happenstance, I also invest in a film collection. Mine is only standard blu-ray (don't have a 4K player, a good enough TV in my opinion to take advantage of it, and most people I know don't have these things either) but I love having them on my shelf and knowing I have access to them, I had fun spending a few years picking up and then completing my Ghibli collection, for instance. I'm a big fan of streaming and where it's going, but nowadays it's spread across so many different platforms that it's hard to keep track sometimes, and things often move from one place to another. Case in point: Mad Men is one of my favourite shows, I've watched it the past two summers, and I got my sister into it a couple of months back. She started Season 5 when Netflix dropped the show. Not knowing if it will end up somewhere else or where that might be, I just picked up the blu-ray, and I do similar for a lot of my favourite series.

Different strokes and all that :peace:

• Like 1

On 8/24/2020 at 1:18 AM, Happenstance said:

mm00274886.jpg?width=250mm00274864.jpg?width=250mm00274867.jpg?width=250mm00274870.jpg?width=250mm00274873.jpg?width=250mm00274876.jpg?width=250mm00274879.jpg?width=250mm00274882.jpg?width=250mm00274885.jpg?width=250buq0313901_1.jpg?width=250

All the Star Wars movies arrived this morning, all with the correct new slip covers apart from Rise of Skywalker where they sent me the old version so it doesn't match :cry:

• Sad 1

Just now, bob said:

Them images were prophetic!

Solo was also shown at a jaunty angle. I'm all worried now.

On 8/24/2020 at 12:31 PM, drahkon said:

3022466-002_PAIR%7D

They arrived, seem to fit. I haven't been able to run with them, yet, 'cause I got some horrible blisters from other shoes :(

The running shoes came with a slight blemish, though. Managed to get 60% of the buying price back (I now technically paid 17€). Also got the option to send them back to get the remaining money refunded, but I think I'll take the risk and use 'em until they break down completely :D
(that blemish is at the left shoe's tongue; there's a slight tear in the seam - it might not be much, but running shoes are under more strain than other shoes so we'll see whether they'll wear down more quickly).

2987632-l-a.jpg

Partner liked my white case so much, I decided to get him the same one in black for his birthday. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Happenstance said:

Preorder for October. Very possibly my favourite trilogy of all time.

Mine too!

I keep thinking of buying it but it’s almost always available on Netflix so haven’t yet bothered.

8 hours ago, Happenstance said:

Few purchases

91cmkNfGmGL._AC_SX342_.jpgGUEST_0c818cb3-099d-4ea5-b17b-a069927fc751d0FlAKlcL._AC_SY400_.jpg

Watched The Prestige a few nights ago. Amaaaaaaaaaaazing film. Love pretty much everything about it. Great cast, too. :love:

I kinda bought something this week. I say kinda because really it was my daughter with her savings, but I got to push the button.

Got this: https://ao.com/product/fx505dthn484t-asus-laptop-gold-77152-251.aspx

Asus 15.6" Laptop NVidia GeForce GTX 1650 AMD Ryzen 5 512GB Solid State Drive 8GB RAM

Which is a great deal when you factor in the £50 cashback. It's a bit of a steal really.

It arrived and it seems very nice. Almost overkill for what my daughter wants - super smooth Minecraft, Terraria and Roblox. My only issue with it is that the wifi seems a bit rubbish. I can stand 2 feet from the router and it "only" gets 50Mbps download speed (just checked my work laptop, and two rooms away it gets 200Mbps). Did some digging and apparently the realtek wifi card they use is a bit rubbish with certain routers. Not sure whether I want to tear it apart and replace just yet, or make her put up with slightly lower speeds than the rest of us get.

• Like 1

I finally joined the 20th century and bought a dishwasher.

I don't know what to do with all my spare time now.

• Haha 1

y4mXHQrkrnMbD8DZdMNv1ZKlUjpzmvX4xjw3ECgz

Was waiting for the Sonic movie to drop in price and Zavvi had it as part of their 3 for £30 deal.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Ike said:

y4mXHQrkrnMbD8DZdMNv1ZKlUjpzmvX4xjw3ECgz

Was waiting for the Sonic movie to drop in price and Zavvi had it as part of their 3 for £30 deal.

Almost went for that deal myself but I try and only get my favourite movies on 4k now and couldn’t make up a full 3.

4 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Almost went for that deal myself but I try and only get my favourite movies on 4k now and couldn’t make up a full 3.

Yeah, the selection wasn't great. Wasn't really planning on getting Ghostbusters as I was happy enough with the blu-ray release (which was 4k ready or something).