NEurope
Ashley

What Have You Bought?

Another 3 4. This 4k obsession seems to have taken over the Jackie Chan one. Need to try and limit the buying now to just deals that come up I think. Only reason I went for this one was because Spider-Man 2 seemed hard to find everywhere else.

975cfcf2-70c5-458e-ad0f-332a0e7eb98b.jpg9acdb060-8286-4765-9cc7-46fedc21f537.jpgfa66f7ad-17f2-4225-8ddc-37ce3c1ae20b.jpgfc87a93a-2d7f-4c00-b18c-c37092f553ca.jpg

Edited by Happenstance

Just now, Ashley said:

I dread to think how busy your shelves are.

Not that bad actually. I only keep the 4K blu rays on shelves, I threw the regular blu ray and dvd boxes out a few years ago, put them into slip cases and printed out custom covers then store them in this for easy access:

cBTrtBk.jpg

You just have to answer a riddle from the cat to get it open.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 20/07/2020 at 11:26 AM, Happenstance said:

I still like them for things like directors commentaries which you rarely get with digital versions and for the 4K stuff it is nice to get a consistent quality that I don’t have to worry about. A lot of them come with digital codes anyway though so it can sometimes work out cheaper.

That's the same reason why I buy them too. Plus they're pretty to look at, haha.

So I ended up giving back American Horror Story: Seasons 1 & 2 because I wanted this instead...

Flight of the Navigator [Blu-ray] [1986]: Amazon.co.uk: Randal ...

The grey area of Disney. So technically this IS a Disney film...but it isn't. With Disney collectors, it's something that's split. Much like Anastasia (which I'm in the "Not a Disney film" area). It's weird because I watched this last night and at the start, it has Walt Disney Presents but not on the box.

Edited by Beast
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ashley said:

I dread to think how busy your shelves are.

Unlike @Happenstance, I keep my boxes. I have three shelves full of blu-rays all kept in an order (Disney, musicals, horror, TV series, boxsets, VHS collection, 80s, 90s, etc). I have over 510 blu-rays, for sure, but I think there's more than that. It's in the link below my signature if anybody is interested. I have a very varied taste.

Edited by Beast

Prospects DVD and Hako boy Hakozume Box (Box Boy trilogy minus the amiibo) for the 3DS. I have no plans on buying the amiibo unless I take out a bank loan.

813rn0Hi7cL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

BC2J.jpg?1510952776

Edited by sumo73

Completing FFVIIR really put me in the mood to watch Advent Children again. I’ve got it on dvd but never did watch the complete edition that got released on blu ray so figured I would upgrade. Through in Close Encounters as it’s on sale and for some reason I’ve never actually owned it.

714RaXEIQ1L._SL1065_.jpg53166a14-bd0f-46ab-8cac-9da3370ed072.jpg

4 hours ago, Happenstance said:

Completing FFVIIR really put me in the mood to watch Advent Children again. I’ve got it on dvd but never did watch the complete edition that got released on blu ray so figured I would upgrade. Through in Close Encounters as it’s on sale and for some reason I’ve never actually owned it.

714RaXEIQ1L._SL1065_.jpg

I have that edition too. I thought it was awesome. Have you looked at Kingsglaive? I enjoyed that too but then I'm in the minority where I adored FFXV and anything about it.

I have bought loads and have had a nice gift from one of my friends in the form of Breaking Bad: Complete Collection on blu-ray! I'm very happy about that! Today, I bought The Little Mermaid Collection purely because I only needed the second and third movie to complete a collection and they never seem to be around. It made a difference of a quid if I bought it individually so thought I may as well. I also found Purple Rain, which I've never seen released on blu-ray so it was a no-brainer for me. I also found a Pixar Shorts: Volume 2. I haven't got many Disney blu-rays left to get now. I just need: Peter Pan: Return to Neverland, Brother Bear 2, Planes: Fire and Rescue, Maleficent: Mistress of Evil, Incredibles 2, Frozen II, Pete's Dragon (original and remake) and Bedknobs and Broomsticks. It's annoying that Disney never released the blu-ray edition of some of them in the UK but have done in the US. It sucks because I'd have liked The Black Cauldron. 

Details about THE LITTLE MERMAID TRILOGY [Blu-ray Box Set] 3-Movie ...

purple rain (blu-ray) BluRay Italian Import: Amazon.co.uk: prince ...

Amazon.com: Pixar Short Films Collection Volume 2 [Blu-ray]: Pixar ...

2 minutes ago, Beast said:

I have that edition too. I thought it was awesome. Have you looked at Kingsglaive? I enjoyed that too but then I'm in the minority where I adored FFXV and anything about it.

Yeah I watched Kingsglaive when it came out. I think I enjoyed it at the time but I don’t remember a lot about it.

4 hours ago, Happenstance said:

53166a14-bd0f-46ab-8cac-9da3370ed072.jpg

Close Encounters is one of my favourite films from my childhood. Massive fan of that film. :love:

The last 30 minutes of that film are just magical. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

Close Encounters is one of my favourite films from my childhood. Massive fan of that film. :love:

Been years since I last watched it so I’m looking forward to seeing it again.

H2x1_NSwitchDS_FinalFantasyVIIIRemastered.jpg

For the Switch. Got $10 eShop credit for 7€ so it was a no-brainer. Haven't played this in probably more than 15 years...

A Riichi Mahjong helper app (for scoring) and an app to learn against AI players. Don't really like the aesthetics, but it's supposed to be quite good. Cost me 5 bucks but I had Google Play credit from surveys so it was basically free ::shrug:

Yes, I'm going all in with Riichi Mahjong :D

Next step: Buy a tile set and get some friends into it :p

Edited by drahkon
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, drahkon said:

A Riichi Mahjong helper app (for scoring) and an app to learn against AI players. Don't really like the aesthetics, but it's supposed to be quite good. Cost me 5 bucks but I had Google Play credit from surveys so it was basically free ::shrug:

Yes, I'm going all in with Riichi Mahjong :D

Next step: Buy a tile set and get some friends into it :p

I'm imagining you making friends with lots of elderly Chinese ladies. 

Carried on with the 4K collection. 3 for £30 in Zoom’s sale and then Blade Runner was discounted on Amazon.

159089_medium.jpg?t=1475361606176301_medium.jpg?t=1562778093225233_medium.jpg?t=1587480644190523_medium.jpg?t=1562950700

Been buying new dice, because they're pretty and cheap. A dangerous combination.

116336967_10164201591050341_754109116172

Got a mystery bag, which turned out pretty nice:

116154074_10164201590480341_875478221056

And got a freebie with the mystery bag:

116265346_10164201590735341_803273552000

Also bought a Vita from Happenstance, because I had a hankering to play one and I only ever had the PSTV:

71171918B3G2_l.jpg

And got a bike rack so that I can take my bike places:

110338423_10164164017610341_810772659499

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Happenstance said:

Carried on with the 4K collection. 3 for £30 in Zoom’s sale and then Blade Runner was discounted on Amazon.

159089_medium.jpg?t=1475361606176301_medium.jpg?t=1562778093225233_medium.jpg?t=1587480644190523_medium.jpg?t=1562950700

I'd be interested to know what you think of Annihilation, because the book is absolute nonsense.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Goafer said:

Been buying new dice, because they're pretty and cheap. A dangerous combination.

I went crazy with dice, but in a different way...

pJE4JiR.jpg

The D4, D8 and D12 are different to the regular ones, they roll much better. The odd numbers and big ones I got because why not.

I also have a rebalanced D20 where every corner and the 6 numbers around them add up to 52 or 53 - on a normal one, it varies quite a bit.

• Like 1

On 23/07/2020 at 7:24 PM, Fierce_LiNk said:

Just got finished watching it. Looked great in 4k with the HDR making the various lights in that movie really pop.

I'd love to see a remake of that movie with the exact same events but from the aliens perspective. We'd get to see them worrying about explaining all the kidnappings, the gangly alien moaning that they still hadn't widened the ship's entrance for him and the alien inside the ship rocking out on their keyboard as they attempt to communicate 😂

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Just got finished watching it. Looked great in 4k with the HDR making the various lights in that movie really pop.

I'd love to see a remake of that movie with the exact same events but from the aliens perspective. We'd get to see them worrying about explaining all the kidnappings, the gangly alien moaning that they still hadn't widened the ship's entrance for him and the alien inside the ship rocking out on their keyboard as they attempt to communicate 😂

Hahahahah.

"Do we really have to kidnap this kid, boss?"
"Sure thing!"
"...why, though?"
:laughing:

That gangly one at the end freaked me out as a kid. I also used to rewind and pause the bits with the little kid-like aliens to see what their faces looked like, as you mostly could only see the silhouette of them. Also still do that joke of piling up my mash potato in the shape of the mountain. :laughing:

6 minutes ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

Hahahahah.

"Do we really have to kidnap this kid, boss?"
"Sure thing!"
"...why, though?"
:laughing:

That gangly one at the end freaked me out as a kid. I also used to rewind and pause the bits with the little kid-like aliens to see what their faces looked like, as you mostly could only see the silhouette of them. Also still do that joke of piling up my mash potato in the shape of the mountain. :laughing:

simpsonscloseencounters.jpg

• Haha 1

I went crazy with dice, but in a different way...
pJE4JiR.jpg

The D4, D8 and D12 are different to the regular ones, they roll much better. The odd numbers and big ones I got because why not.

I also have a rebalanced D20 where every corner and the 6 numbers around them add up to 52 or 53 - on a normal one, it varies quite a bit.
Just saw the exact same picture on Reddit. What are the chances, eh?
  • Like 1

You've got to follow it up with ET now, @Happenstance. One of my favourite films and it still feels as great to watch now as it did the first time.

Also also also, how good is that John Williams soundtrack? A true magician. That combination of Spielberg and Williams is one of the best partnerships in film history. Just insane the amount of legendary stuff they put out together. A huge part of my childhood and teenage life.

16 minutes ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

You've got to follow it up with ET now, @Happenstance. One of my favourite films and it still feels as great to watch now as it did the first time.

Also also also, how good is that John Williams soundtrack? A true magician. That combination of Spielberg and Williams is one of the best partnerships in film history. Just insane the amount of legendary stuff they put out together. A huge part of my childhood and teenage life.

Oh yeah the soundtrack is incredible. Watched this today with my good headphones on so I got all the umph.

I expect I’ll get ET at some point but as I’ve seen it so many times over the years it’s not as high on my list. I am really in a sci-fi movie mood now though.

Youve probably never seen it (not many have as it was just a TV movie) but have you heard of Alien Abduction: The McPherson Tape (or “Alien Abduction: Incident in Lake County” depending on the country)? It’s based on the same alien story Spielberg based the kids abduction in Close Encounters on and Signs is based on. It’s surprisingly creepy given its low budget. It was one of the first “found footage” movies and there were rumours for years that it was real. One that @Goafer and I always enjoy.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Oh yeah the soundtrack is incredible. Watched this today with my good headphones on so I got all the umph.

I expect I’ll get ET at some point but as I’ve seen it so many times over the years it’s not as high on my list. I am really in a sci-fi movie mood now though.

Youve probably never seen it (not many have as it was just a TV movie) but have you heard of Alien Abduction: The McPherson Tape (or “Alien Abduction: Incident in Lake County” depending on the country)? It’s based on the same alien story Spielberg based the kids abduction in Close Encounters on and Signs is based on. It’s surprisingly creepy given its low budget. It was one of the first “found footage” movies and there were rumours for years that it was real. One that @Goafer and I always enjoy.

I've never ever heard of that. Sounds quite interesting actually! Strange as hell to see a film of that age using that style of filming. Will try and check it out.