NEurope
ReZourceman

Mildly Coincidental

I used to hate it when people said 'lol', but now I'm more bemused by it. I don't use it but that's because I find going 'Ha!' is much easier. I sometimes say 'lmao' to parody people's use of 'lol'.

Laughter is a social construct, saying it's 'natural' isn't really valid.

I went to a park in London, for no reason for a leisurely stroll. And ran into a N-Europe meet. The chances...

Interestingly, "lol" often means "I found that amusing but didn't actually laugh at it" now.

Both patronising and decieving.

Laughter is a social construct, saying it's 'natural' isn't really valid.

It is? Are there any cultures where laughter isn't present to prove that claim?

Both patronising and decieving.

The use of lol, or my actual comment? People (including me) do actually use it like that. Meaning changes with time, unfortunately.

It didn't take all that long for this topic to go off course :heh:

As far as "lol" goes, I've never really heard it used in reality other than someone mocking it.. but even then, it's hard to like it :indeed:

I do tend to find certain words and phrases particularly annoying, though.. some stranger than others. For instance, I don't like the words "procrastinate" or "broody", or stuff like "pot, kettle and black" :nono:

Then there's bollocks that has started creeping into people's vocabulary recently such as the almost murder-worthy "chillax" or, as I heard mentioned on TV one night a few months ago, "bf" used instead of "boyfriend"..why? Is it any easier to say? Are there less syllables?

Then there's bollocks that has started creeping into people's vocabulary recently such as the almost murder-worthy "chillax" or, as I heard mentioned on TV one night a few months ago, "bf" used instead of "boyfriend"..why? Is it any easier to say? Are there less syllables?

It should be 'boof/buuf'

Anyway,basically this is massively coincidental, because there's 50,000 players online daily, and we happened to spot Echo. If you do the numbers, that's a 1 in 50,000 chance (if you're including me an Rez), narrowed even further by the fact that we don't read every opponent/team name.

We also found Madeleine McCann. It took ages.

I have the utmost empathy for the Portuguese police. Seriously guys, cut them some slack.

If you're going to attempt to shorten it, that would be the means.

However, obviously I'm not going to say that when I'm referring to my own boyfriend.

Diageo hates it when I do that.

It is? Are there any cultures where laughter isn't present to prove that claim?

You said it yourself;

Interestingly, "lol" often means "I found that amusing but didn't actually laugh at it" now.

You said it yourself

No I didn't, laughter is very much present in our society. Lol just isn't always a textual representation of actual laughter any more.