NEurope
Goafer

HDR Video

This video highlights several clips we've made using our new High Dynamic Range (HDR) process. Video is captured on two Canon 5D mark II DSLRs, each capturing the exact same subject via a beam splitter. The cameras are configured so that they record different exposure values, e.g., one camera is overexposed, the other underexposed. After the footage has been recorded, we use a variety of HDR processing tools to combine the video from the two cameras, yielding the clips you see above.

HDR Video provides filmmakers with many exciting new opportunities. Not only can HDR video create interesting effects, it can also allow for even exposure where artificial lighting is unavailable or impractical. For example, when a subject is backlit, one camera could be set to properly expose the subject, the other the sky, resulting in video with perfect exposure throughout.

We will continue to develop and improve the HDR video process for better results and efficiency. For more information, check out our website sovietmontage.com.

Music

Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky

Opus 40, Number 9

Performed by Kevin MacLeod

Licensed Under Creative Commons "Attribution 3.0"

Pretty cool stuff.

That's really interesting. Funnily enough when I saw the guy in the video I thought at first his jacket was CGI because of the high contrast between the black and white.

Egh. I saw this video on Engadget. HDR is looking to become the next hype, after 3D.. And I'm sick of it already. The video looks horrible in my opinion. Ok, if you're doing something sci-fi or fantasy, and a surrealistic look suits your footage, then by all means, go ahead. But I don't want to see it in each and every homevideo on Youtube.

But I don't want to see it in each and every homevideo on Youtube.

Well it takes more equipment than most people will be able to afford/be willing to buy (2 identical cameras, a beam splitter, the right software and probably some pretty gnarly PC to run it on) so that's not going to happen.

If it makes it into the movies, I imagine it will be like most things: Overused at first, then used properly later.

Also, bear in mind that this video is pretty much straight from the camera (apart from the HDR merging obviously, which itself has loads of settings, not just the 2 they show here). With editing and special effects, it's just like any other effect. It can be made into something completely different. All HDR does is allow the person filming to capture all the detail in the scene instead of just a limited range.

The bit with the person reminded me of Fallout 3.

So if I want to do HDR in 3D I need four cameras? Sign me up.

Seriously, though, I like the look. I don't think it's comparable to 3D. Probably more like the whole Blair Witch handicam thing.

Why does the man have a slight "aura" around him? Especially at 0:53 when he moves his arms.

That's just from the HDR processing. It happens to HDR images too. It's mainly around things that have the sky as a background, although I'm not entirely sure why.

hdr-8.jpg

Well it takes more equipment than most people will be able to afford/be willing to buy (2 identical cameras, a beam splitter, the right software and probably some pretty gnarly PC to run it on) so that's not going to happen.

You'd think that..

[HDR on Iphone 4]

Welcome to the future.

Serously though, of course, it's not as good as the 2 DLSR's you mention.. Yet. You know the nature of technology.

He is, and I did, but that's technology in the Iphone right now.. It really won't be too long before they make low-end HDR videorecording capable products..

He is, and I did, but that's technology in the Iphone right now.. It really won't be too long before they make low-end HDR videorecording capable products..

The big difference is that you can take multiple photos of non-moving objects in quick succession easily on any camera. Which is impossible for videos unless multiple cameras are used.

The big difference is that you can take multiple photos of non-moving objects in quick succession easily on any camera. Which is impossible for videos unless multiple cameras are used.

You can apply a fake HDR effect to single RAW images as they can have their exposures artificially changed. I guess the same could be done to video. Not sure what type of equipment you'd need to do the equivalent of saving each frame of the film to RAW (or similar) though. I imagine it would require some hefty hardware.

HOw do you take the same video with 2 cameras at the same time? 2 cameras can't occupie the same space? Even if they put them right next to each other the two images would be slightly different from each other.

Unless there's some techie thing I'm missing?

HOw do you take the same video with 2 cameras at the same time? 2 cameras can't occupie the same space? Even if they put them right next to each other the two images would be slightly different from each other.

Unless there's some techie thing I'm missing?

They use a beam splitter. It basically has one lens on the front and uses something like a partially transparent mirror to split the view from the front into 2 separate but identical viewers. Each camera is attached to a viewer.

The way the mirror works is that it lets half the light through to the first viewer and reflects half the light to the second viewer.

At least that is my understanding of it. I could be way off.