NEurope
Diageo

Civilisation V

What was the actual error you were getting? You might be able to just change the resolution manually in the preferences file.

There's also a free clone of the first game out there:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freeciv

Anyway, I couldn't get the demo to work through crossovers games. I'll try again once I get Bootcamp installed, but at the moment, its looking very unlikely that I buy this before the native Mac version comes out.

Civ 4 is still fun enough for the moment.

Stupid Civ 3 won't work on netbook cos of dumb resolution problems! So annoying! Money just wasted!

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

What? You told Diageo it would only run on a gaming laptop and were surprised when it didn't run on a netbook?

What was the actual error you were getting? You might be able to just change the resolution manually in the preferences file.

There's also a free clone of the first game out there:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freeciv

Anyway, I couldn't get the demo to work through crossovers games. I'll try again once I get Bootcamp installed, but at the moment, its looking very unlikely that I buy this before the native Mac version comes out.

Civ 4 is still fun enough for the moment.

yeah i've tried changing the resolution of my computer manually and it still won't work seems odd that such an old game runs at a high resolution...steam should come with warnings about things like resolutions etc...I may have to try pick up civ rev on the cheap instead its dumbness like this that puts me off PC gaming.

What? You told Diageo it would only run on a gaming laptop and were surprised when it didn't run on a netbook?

Civilisation III not Civilisation V. Civilisation III came out a very long time ago and is quite simple in its interface. Simple aesthetically, not in content.

yeah I meant 3! Which is ages old and doesn't even need a proper graphics card

yeah I meant 3! Which is ages old and doesn't even need a proper graphics card

Ah well then I'm blind. What is wrong with the resolution?

Ah well then I'm blind. What is wrong with the resolution?

you have to run it at exactly 1024x768 the maximum resolution netbooks tend to do whilst keeping everything on the screen is 1024x600 there are ways to get around it so it will run at that resolution but still didn't run. Also there are some edits to do with the .ini file which I did and it still doesn't run, so annoying! I'm gonna try pick up civilization revolution for ps3. I played the demo a while back and just never picked it up when I meant to! All this talk of Civ V on podcasts etc....has really given me a hankering for it.

Civilisation Revolution is a terribly dumbed down version of Civilisation. I wouldn't recommend it.

Civilisation Revolution is a terribly dumbed down version of Civilisation. I wouldn't recommend it.

The what can you recommend I play to satisfy this itch stemming from everyone talking about Civ 5 on podcasts etc? I tried that freeciv and found it a bit lacking and couldn't get into it.

If you can't even run Civilisation III, then there's nothing I know that I could recommend.

If you can't even run Civilisation III, then there's nothing I know that I could recommend.

only reason civ 3 won't run is because of this resolution problem. It actually works specs wise...if I had a monitor I could plug into that but I don't other than tv and this is the kinda game I would likely wanna play whilst the TV is on in the background.

Civ games tend to be addictive enough that you probably wouldn't even notice the TV in the background after a while.

Bit of a bumb but...

Just had a "great" start as the French.

Decided to go for a cultured victory on a pangea setting on the Prince difficulty.

Apparently the game disagreed with my plan and put me with Germany to the north, Aztecs to the north-east and Mongols to the east.

All aggressive military nations (currently at war with two of them and on the cusp of war with the third) and settled close to me.

So much for giving peace a chance....

God I instantly saw this had been bumped and thought I wish I had the PC gaming rig to play this :(

God I instantly saw this had been bumped and thought I wish I had the PC gaming rig to play this :(

Well if you ever do, hopefully all the weird AI behaviour gets tuned right.

Just had Germany accuse me of moving troops near his borders after I moved a unit closer to his scout, on my territory, far away from his nearest city.

I'm finally getting into the game now. At first I tried playing it on the longest time setting, which was incredibly boring (compared to the same time setting in Civ IV). Playing it on the second longest seems much better.

Prince difficulty is a bit too easy. Never had a city taken over, they just don't seem to be able to do it.

Also, I get denounced by a nation every two minutes, and I don't even know why.

Still really enjoy the game. Pity I have too many games right now so I don't get a chance to pay it much.

Do you attack city states?

Same here, pretty much every nation in my current run has denounced each other.

Except for Egypt, for the first time in any CIV V game I have had a neighboring nation not backstab me and actually assist with me pretty much anything.

Humm, forgot computers aren't like consoles and the game might not run, haven't played a computer game in ages. Since Civilisation 3 maybe....

Holy shit, you didn't play IV? It's the best one!

Holy shit, you didn't play IV? It's the best one!

To add to that, be sure to get the "Beyond the Sword" Expansion, as it improves the game quite a bit. Don't bother with warlords though unless you want the scenarios.

Would people here suggest Civ 4 or 5?

I probably won't get one just yet (as I'm saving for a PS3), but they both seem to have great reviews, and seem to be rather distinct aswell.

Go for 5. The fact you can't stockpile units makes it much more interesting.

Stopped playing it ages ago. It gets boring quickly.

I even played Revolution quite a bit though so....