NEurope
Happenstance

Phantasy Star Online 2

Phantasy Star Online 2 has been announced and will be released next year.

SEGA blew the whistle in a video at the Tokyo Game Show 2010 (thanks, VG247).

Actual gameplay details weren't mentioned. SEGA instead used the video as a chance to reminisce.

Phantasy Star Online was originally released for SEGA's darling Dreamcast a decade ago. Eurogamer existed back then, and would-be editor Tom Bramwell heralded PSO as "a masterpiece". Numerous "Episode" additions were released on various formats in subsequent years, although none quite scaled the same heights as the original.

SEGA Europe offered no comment.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-09-16-phantasy-star-online-2-announced

Phantasy Star Online 2???

Could we finally get a proper successor to this gem? I still play the original, they better keep up the quality and standards.

If it's on Xbox and they charge an additional subscription fee (like they did with Universe), they can go shove it.

Yeah, the trailer it got announced in just said it was for Windows PC. C'man, console release. Please?

:)

Although little disappointed it's currently PC only. Here's some details from the trailer that got translated. Obscure means the translation isn't very good.

"Action" and "RPG" re-connected

Increased variety of client orders

Map functions changing in real time

User-created story

New interface for environmental interactions

Global support

Thorough racial balances

Full user participation events

Seasonal changes

New chat system

New mail functions

Drastic item synthesis overhaul

Even wider variety of ways to raise your character

New direction of event scenes

Approach from NPCs (possibly a new approach to NPCs?)

Silhouette changes by add-ons (obscured)

New photon arts (obscured)

Community supported content (obscured)

Additional character customization

Category-based weapon training system (obscured)

Implementation of asynchronous communication

New party system

Improved enemy AI / cooperation

Limitless content

New approach to the game client

Implementation of a new "life work" (obscured)

Daily surprises

"Trump card" system

Mutual interaction functionality for new and veteran users

FUUUUUUUUCK YEEEEEEEEEESS

Just picked up Portable 2 today as well, my course is fucked. Curse my priorities.

Just picked up Portable 2 today as well, my course is fucked. Curse my priorities.

Ah. Was hoping that I wasn't going to be the only one to get it :P Had it ordered at HMV but they cancelled it, apparently they're not getting any copies so decided to get it from the PSN, but it's not up yet :( Might go out an buy it if I can be bothered.

Also, official site is up:

Phantasy Star Portable

Isnt Phantasy Star Portable 2 the one that isnt actually coming out for digital download?

Japan and the US got a digital download version, the game came out yesterday in the UK but only the UMD version. Apparently we're getting it at some point just not on release day.

I heard the digital version has less lag than the UMD which I why I'm leaning more on getting the digital version.

Edited by Ike

Must have been another game then. I just remembered listening to a podcast this week where they were complaining about a PSP game getting released but with no digital download so the one of them that had a PSPGo couldnt play it. Thought it was Phantasy Star but I guess not.

The developers are set to reveal the game in less than 2 hours. However, they recently said they were a little behind schedule, so it may just be some images.

EDIT: Took a lot longer than expected, but my god it was worth it.

From what I could gather: the original combo system is sort of in place for hunters. Hybrid third person controls for Rangers. I couldn't tell whether it was newmans or dumans as the other characters, but I still couldn't work out how they controlled.

Also, ARKZ everywhere.

SS-2011-04-24_03.31.36.jpg

SS-2011-04-24_03.31.23.jpg

SS-2011-04-24_03.30.242.jpg

SS-2011-04-24_03.30.46.jpg

Fields are supposedly randomly generated. Looking at the screenshots, it's got to be a more complex version of PSZ's random fields.

Edited by Debug Mode
Automerged Doublepost

Oh my god, high res screenshots all ready? Thank you very much sir!

Those character designs are amazing.. We'll find out in just over a month how it controls!

Oh my god, high res screenshots all ready? Thank you very much sir!

Those character designs are amazing.. We'll find out in just over a month how it controls!

No problem good sir, the trailers up on youtube now too:

As reported at 4Gamer, the video Sega showed at the event had a bunch of phrases that may provide some hints about the game’s background.

First, what appears to be the overarching story:

The ship fleet Oracle (written in Japanese, “オラクル”) which travels the endless stars. A new adventure that awaits on the countless planets. Invasion of the malice that covers the universe. The name of the people who face off against them is Arcs (in Japanese, “アークス”). Will the universe be saved, or will it be swallowed up? It’s in the hands of the hero (you).

The above is just a super quick translation of 4Gamer’s summary. 4Gamer said that it might have made some errors in its transcript.

The video also mentioned a few key words and phrases:

Is there adventure in today’s RPGs?

Always, to a new field. Random field.

Original Combos

TPS style

Jump Action

Hybrid Custom Action

It gives you a foreboding feeling — seamless weather.

Something will happen every time!? Interrupt event

Aiming for “Endless Advneture.”

The adventure without end, once again.

Phantasy Star series producer Satoshi Sakai took the stage at the event and said that the staff is aiming to give players the feeling of adventure that has been lost in today’s RPGs. He described the game as “a brand new title” and said that he hopes the game will be enjoyed by series fans, online gamers and even players who have yet to get into online games.

Further details on the game will be released ahead of the alpha test, which kicks off this summer.

Edited by Helmsly

Wow this actually looks great :D Here's hoping it lives up to the original PSO Eps 1&2 (not really been a big fan of any of the games in between).

Would really love a console release with splitscreen multiplayer though :(

If not, bagsy a spot in the N-Europe 4 man squad :D

Still PC only? And how much do you pay monthly? Anything on that? How much did you have to pay for the older games?

Oh yeah, forgot about that :/ The Hunters License on the Gamecube was, iirc, £7.99/month.

Wait, I thought it was free on the Gamecube? That was the copy I had and I dont remember paying.

I definitely paid, I never had a Dreamcast. Blue Burst on the PC was free.

Wait, I thought it was free on the Gamecube? That was the copy I had and I dont remember paying.

It was around the price shorty mentioned on the gamecube version. If I remember right though, the first month was free.

I think the only free to play PSO they made was the first one for the Dreamcast, aside from a phone bill from the dial-up connection.

Edited by Helmsly

Yeah looking it up I see there was a cost, I just really dont remember playing it.

What I do remember though was the xbox version which wouldnt let you play offline without an online account!

Fuuuuuuuuuu...

This has to be released on Xbox 360 / PS3, there's no way in hell that I'd want to play this on a PC or buy a new PC to play it for that matter... :heh:

I'm sure it will happen, just a matter of time but it has to surely? PSO did start off as the first console-based MMORPG afterall. :rolleyes: